back pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCDP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only a pre-dent right now but I really don't want to develop back pain as a dentist and considering that often time my back aches from just sitting on a desk bending over while studying, I think I need to start working out and stretching to strengthen my back.

I don't want to focus just on my lower back but my back as a whole, so I was wondering what do you guys think are some good exercises I should start doing? Also any specific stretches that would help as well?

Like pull ups, hyper extensions, barbell or dumbbell rows, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was just thinking about this. I'd like to see the suggestions as well.

Deadlift and get swole son.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have asked several dentists about this. Many see a chiropractor for adjustments or a massage therapist on a monthly basis and write it off as a business expense.

Also, invest in loupes with a proper working distance. Being able to see what you're doing while sitting upright is essential.

This is also an area of interest of mine:

While in dental school:
-loupes with light
-indirect vision
-economy of motion & workspace function
-take breaks

Day-to-day:
-stop doing crunches/situps and any stretch that puts pressure on your lower back
-learn to lift weights safely and do a proper push, pull, squat routine. Add some specific exercises for your upper back like "pull aparts" and front squats for thoracic extension. "Plank" exercises will be your friend for core strength.
-Learn to move - bend at your knees, don't twist your back, etc.
-Practice good posture: square hips, shoulders above hips & ears above shoulders.
-foam roller & safe stretching

Overall, build a functional balanced body that is flexible and strong. Never just focus on one
bodypart. I think the best overall back exercise for a beginner-intermediate lifter is the seated row with the option to move to bent-over-row as you advance. GL

EDIT: IMO deadlift should be avoided as a future dental professional. The benefit does not worth the risk.

Reactions: 1 user
Proper posture will go a long way.

Ive been dead lifting for years. Aint gonna stop now.

Dead lifting is a great workout. I don't know why yappy says there's a risk to it, yeah the risk is if you try to lift 400 lbs without being trained. Just have someone teach you proper techniques and the dead lift will work wonders for yah.

Although I will say. Doing it wrong can be very bad for you.

It's not like other work outs where you're sore for a few days, you might actually break your back.

The replies you see here are all good. As a long-time practitioner and teacher of ergonomics, you should start with a strong core. Whatever exercises you do should be concentrated on strengthening the core (following the advise of your physician). Secondly look at your work space. Ergonomics is the "study of work". Review your sitting position and the relationship between your body and your work. MAKE YOUR WORK FIT YOUR BODY not the other way around. Most musculo-skeletal injuries in dentistry are due to not having the patient in the proper position and trying to adapt your posture so that you can see. As above aids in maintain good posture are loupes, indirect vision, moving your patient's head left/right up/down.