Back to school for Pre-reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted690116

Hi there,

I am a US citizen who began undergrad in the US. and then moved to Mexico and completed by undergraduate degree in there.

I am going back to school in the Fall (community college) to complete my science pre-reqs for med school.

I spoke to several medical schools, all of whom said they WOULD take my 3 science pre-reqs I completed in the states; but suggested I re-take them if I feel the need to review the material for MCAT prep etc.

Would you recomment re-taking them? (I got an A in Gen Chem I as well as the lab, and a B in Bio I), but this was in 2007/8.

Also, could you recommend a Schedule for me? Ideally I would like to complete the reqs in a year, although I am in no immediate rush to get into medical school (but take things step by step).

And one more question. Does an Intro to Chem satisfy a semester of Gen Chem for most med schools? I ask this because I have the option of enrolling in a 100 level Gen Chem Course or 200 level Gen Chem (would I choose to re-take Chemistry).

Thanks and hugs

Members don't see this ad.

Would you recomment re-taking them? (I got an A in Gen Chem I as well as the lab, and a B in Bio I), but this was in 2007/8.
Both of your Chemistry & biology classes are fine. I do not think you need to retake them. You mentioned they would accept 3 science classes you have taken, but I only see 2. Pre-reqs do not expire,however you could take refresh courses (pass/fail) only.
Also, could you recommend a Schedule for me? Ideally I would like to complete the reqs in a year, although I am in no immediate rush to get into medical school (but take things step by step).
This really depends on you and what you got going on in your life. Ideally, it a year of bio,chem,Ochem,physics, and math, assuming that you finished English requirements. Although, it is doable if you are taking summer classes which I won't recommend. cramming material in a short time.
And one more question. Does an Intro to Chem satisfy a semester of Gen Chem for most med schools? I ask this because I have the option of enrolling in a 100 level Gen Chem Course or 200 level Gen Chem (would I choose to re-take Chemistry).
Intro/Survey/Health-science course work do not fulfill requirements for med school in general.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
One last question, do Biology clases have to be 100 or 200 level courses?

For med schools admission requirements there are no specific course level assigned other than just general bio,chem, physics,and so forth.they recommend taking upper science course work. with that being said some school will assign level 100 for the lower science course division and level 200 for upper science division. Ideally, you can't find upper science course work at any CC because they only grant AS degree.So, you will have to take upper science course work at a 4 year institution, the course level could 200 or 300 sometimes it is 2000 or 3000. In general, you may want to take some but not all of these courses :cell biology, genetics, microbiology, Human anatomy&physiology, virology, and immunology.

Thank you.

My community college offers 200 & 300 level coursework. Do you think it would be fine to go ahead and do all of my prereqs there vs. Transferring? (Assuming I would do well and get a good MCAT).

I spoke to the admissions offices of a few schools in my area, and they said that while technically speaking they will accept community college credits, you are at a disadvantage when being compared to a similar student with similar GPA/undergrad performance. What I've heard recommended the most is a formal post-bacc. There are options available that let you finish the pre-reqs while working full-time if need be. There are also post-bacc programs that allow you to complete the pre-reqs in one year. I'm currently doing an informal, DIY post-bacc. I'm taking PreCalculus and Intro to Chem this summer at a CC to get me ready for Calculus and Chem I this fall at an area university (I've been out of school for about 8 years, so I feel the need to freshen up on my study skills). You can take the courses as you choose, but the schedule I laid out ensures that I will take Chem I, followed by Chem II, then Ochem I, then Ochem II. The Bio and Physics classes will be scattered throughout. If you take the Bio and physics classes together in the beginning you're extending the time it's going to take to finish, since the Chem's are all progressive pre-requisites of each other (Meaning it will take 4 semesters to complete all 4 chem classes if you retake Chem I; 3 if you don't retake Chem I.)

Thank you for your response DocLongShot.

I have set up the following Schedule, thinking of setting it up like this so I can finish in one year:

Fall:
Chem 2
Bio 2

Spring:
O Chem
O Chem 2 (or Biochem) <-- going to check if I can take them together, if not I will swap with Physics

Summer: Physics 1 and Physics 2

Seems like you have a good Schedule put together for you.

Honestly the reason I haven't looked into taking pre-reqs as a larger uni is cost. Med school (hoping I get in!) will be a huge investement as is. In order to qualify for in state residency I would need to transfer in a year (by the time I would finish).