Back up plan for DO Uro applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biggiesmall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying to Uro but want to be realistic and have a back up plan. I have read a lot of threads talking about a surgical prelim year. Is it better to apply to surgical prelim in hopes to reapply or would a traditional internship at a potential Uro program? Any other thoughts on a viable backup?

Members don't see this ad.

Surgery prelim for sure. So many more options as occasionally pgy-2 urology positions do open up and you could always transfer straight into open spots in other surgical specialties. You could also find a pgy-2 position in much easier to match into specialties like anesthesia. You can make a case for a Ty year, but at the end of the day, You put all your eggs in one basket that way.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Surgery prelim vs. what? I think you are asking if doing a year of urology at a program would be better, and the answer to that is yes. A few places let you do a prelim uro year (I think Emory has one). It doesn't count toward your uro training but you can make a lot of connections, do uro research, and strengthen your application for next cycle. It is extremely hard to make yourself more competitive from a surg prelim position. Walking into a PGY-2 position after a surg prelim is a pipe dream. Yes there are a few spots open every year, but there are a lot of people gunning for them.