Back up plan..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tylerwayne

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just been sitting here wondering, worst case scenerio.. What would I do if I didn't get in this cycle? I honestly have no clue! I've always tried not to think about it, telling myself "not getting in isn't an option". I know it's pretty "easy" to get in but still people DO get rejected.

Do you guys have a back up plan? Because I honestly don't. Just wondering what you guys would do or have you given it any thought?

Would you give up on medicine all together? I think the only other thing other than being a physician I would be ok with in medicine is a PA but still I don't think I'd be as happy. But I also don't have any other real interests outside of medicine haha

What are your thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply to PA schools, anesthesia assistant school, PT school, OT school. If I didn't get in to any I would do construction because I really like it. But, I am going to try not to think about not getting in. I think if that time came, then I would start worrying about it.

I would apply to PA schools, anesthesia assistant school, PT school, OT school. If I didn't get in to any I would do construction because I really like it. But, I am going to try not to think about not getting in. I think if that time came, then I would start worrying about it.
That's how I feel... But waiting for my MCAT and interviews is driving my mind crazy hahaha
I think I'd really enjoy PT but I have no experience in a PT office

Members don't see this ad :)
That's how I feel... But waiting for my MCAT and interviews is driving my mind crazy hahaha
I think I'd really enjoy PT but I have no experience in a PT office
The waiting game is torturous. I am still waiting to be verified and am going crazy. I shadowed a PT and thought it was interesting, but I was interested in doing surgery, but it is for sure a good back up.

I personally have been at the same stage as you about this time last year. My story: I was looking at backup plans and I had a friend who went down the MPH route and I looked down that route and then I found out that most MPH in Biostatistics programs aren't that geared towards the job opportunities I liked and that an MS in Biostatistics was not as likely for a grad with a Human Physio degree with only a basic stats course and up to Calc 2. I still have an MS in Biostatistics as my back up plan because I do love mathematics and statistics, but my dream still is to work in healthcare as a podiatrist. Again, I'd rather not think about my backup plan that much, but I will take the GRE soon just in case.

Now the harsh part, if you are to get rejected from podiatry school it will be pretty hard to stay competitive at a PA school. PA schools are becoming just as competitive as the D.O. schools unless it was the MCAT that got you practically blacklisted.
I remember back in my first senior year (took 4.5yrs to graduate) I sat down with the podiatrist I shadow and wanted to talk to him about his thoughts of healthcare occupations. I told him I was not interested in DO or MD school and wanted to get his opinion on PA and PT school. Obviously, he was bias towards podiatry but since I really wanted to go down that route it was best because I wanted to hear his story again for why he chose podiatry. He did believe that PA school was a great plan as well, but it just doesn't give you the chance to be your own boss. That is one of the things he loves about his job other than obviously helping out those that need it. When he talked about PT school I agreed with him that the PT route is right for certain people and then not so great for some. I remember when I went to see a PT for a lumbar injury and really I could have done all of that stuff at home or at a gym.

A big reason I picked podiatry was because of personal experience of my podiatrist being the best doctor I ever had. And that is the reason I don't really see the PT job as that fulfilling and enjoyable because when I was at the large PT complex even when I looked around at all the other PTs doing their job I really wondered why it took 3yrs to complete that graduate degree. I also worked at a rehab center as a medical assistant and once again it seemed like the physical therapist were standing around doing nothing for three times as long as actually doing work. Obviously that is a different setting than most PTs would see themselves doing, but I could never work a job where I stand around doing nothing for long periods of times. Again, that was just my personal experience that showed me that I would be bored out of my mind being a PT my whole life. I'd rather be my own boss, set my own schedule, and have a job that is rewarding and challenging. And I don't see that as a physical therapist.

Reactions: 1 user