Background Check

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncamc

Endure and Survive
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
yo sdners. i have been accepted to a few dental schools, and i just got this certiphi back ground check email yesterday. i have already put a deposit down on uconn, and they are not on certiphi's "list" of schools that conduct checks. does that mean these other schools, like tufts or une, have made this happen? i know it seems like a silly question, but i dont want to have to pay for this if i dont have to. thanks for any and all feedback

also, a quick answer to this question may be: does uconn do background checks?

Members don't see this ad.

If you were accepted at another school that is on the list, they're the ones who initiated it. But don't risk missing a requirement, and follow swoops advice just to be sure.

Same thing happened to me last year! The acceptances from the other schools caused you to receive the certiphi email. Unless you're still considering one of these schools, there's no need to do the certiphi background check for UConn.

You'll get an email with paperwork from UConn sometime in March that will include a background check form, and there's nothing to pay. Of course, calling admissions to be sure that the same thing is happening for your year would be a good idea!

edit: I'm a UConn D1 and that's how I know :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sent them an email. thanks for the quick response!

I've kinda read through some old stuff about these but does anyone know how long certiphi takes and what it ends up costing out of the 150 generally?

Last edited:
I've kinda read through some old stuff about these but does anyone know how long certiphi takes and what it ends up costing out is the 150 generally?
Takes about a week, costs vary by state and also on your previous residences. I live in New York, have lived in one other state, and it cost me $144.

Hm... I thought it was going to cost $150, but I live in NC... and I got an e-mail saying they had charged my card only $53. Sweet. Ain't complainin'!

They got it back to me in less than 24 hours... I signed up for it around 4:15 yesterday and got back the the results at 10:15 this morning. Guess what, guys? I am officially not a criminal. Woot! :laugh:

I also had my urine tested earlier in the week for my new job. PASSED! Actually, they did a background check on me, too. I feel super legit.

#notacriminal #notanaddicteither #thuglyfe

Last edited:
Did they send an email when it's done?

Do you pay a one time fee and the results are shared to all the schools that use certiphi?

wait, I'm confused. We have to do our own background checks? doesn't the school do them?

WHAT ??? Theres a cost to the background check ?!!

Yes I thought it was bs when I read it

Members don't see this ad :)
i finished mine in like less than 30 minutes....did i miss something..?

No, it is very fast. It took me about 10 minutes to go through all of the different pages.

Did anyone get their background check completed and processed already? Are we supposed to get an e-mail saying it has been done and sent to the school?

Did anyone get their background check completed and processed already? Are we supposed to get an e-mail saying it has been done and sent to the school?

I said above that mine was completely done in less than 24 hours. :)

I said above that mine was completely done in less than 24 hours. :)

You got an e-mail saying the the official background check was completed? Or just the one saying your card is going to be charged X amount of dollars?? I got the e-mail saying my card is going to be charged an amount but we are also supposed to get an e-mail afterwards stating our background check is completed and to review our results before they are forwarded to the schools. I submitted mine last Monday but still nothing (but maybe it will take longer since I had to fax military documents)

P.S. Apparently you can login and check Application Station for the status. Mine says "in process"

wait, I'm confused. We have to do our own background checks? doesn't the school do them?
It depends on the school, MUSC said not to worry about it they are doing it automatically.

You got an e-mail saying the the official background check was completed? Or just the one saying your card is going to be charged X amount of dollars?? I got the e-mail saying my card is going to be charged an amount but we are also supposed to get an e-mail afterwards stating our background check is completed and to review our results before they are forwarded to the schools. I submitted mine last Monday but still nothing (but maybe it will take longer since I had to fax military documents)

Yes--within 24 hours, I got an e-mail that my report was "complete" and ready to be reviewed through the portal. I submitted the first day it was available.
However, when I log into my portal, it says that the "automatic release date" is 12/15/13... which is today. So I guess this must be the first day they were released.

Edit: After looking more through the portal screen, it looks like I could have opted to MANUALLY release my background check earlier via step 2. I didn't see this, as all I did was log on and look at the results, but oh well. It is automatically released 10 days after it is procured. I didn't get an e-mail about it being released, though... at least not yet.

From the ADEA:

Q: What is the background check process?
A:
Once accepted at a participating dental school, Certiphi® Screening, Inc. will send an email to the preferred email address entered in the ADEA CAAPID application. This email will provide you with access to a secure online form which you will provide basic identifying information and consent for this report to be procured. Your consent will serve for all dental schools, and you will not be asked to provide consent upon receiving additional, conditional acceptance offers by participating dental schools.

Once you have provided consent Certiphi® Screening, Inc will procure a national background check on you. Once the report is complete, Certiphi® Screening Inc. will send an email to your preferred email address requesting that you review the report prior to its distribution. Upon reviewing this email:

• You will have (10) calendar days from the date this email is sent to review your report prior to this report being made available to the participating dental schools who request this report. If you do not review this report, the report will be distributed after this period elapses.
  • You will be provided with an opportunity to contest the accuracy of the contents of the report within the specified ten (10) calendar day period.
Once you have reviewed and released this report, or after the specified ten (10) calendar day period has elapsed, the report procured on you will be made available to the participating dental school who offered an acceptance and initiated the request for this report.

Last edited:
yo sdners. i have been accepted to a few dental schools, and i just got this certiphi back ground check email yesterday. i have already put a deposit down on uconn, and they are not on certiphi's "list" of schools that conduct checks. does that mean these other schools, like tufts or une, have made this happen? i know it seems like a silly question, but i dont want to have to pay for this if i dont have to. thanks for any and all feedback

also, a quick answer to this question may be: does uconn do background checks?

uconn does their own background checks. Nice thing is that it is not through certiphi so you don't have to pay anything.