Background checks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

P.R student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to start by apologizing if I posted this thread in the wrong forum I couldn't find a forum for this, if there is one im sorry. Does a failure to appear at court disqualify me for med school/career in medicine? Long story short I was in California about 4 years ago while on active duty I got pulled over in San Diego for driving against traffic (and no I wasnt drinking or on meds just made a mistake it was my first time driving there and it was late I honestly could not see any traffic sign that indicated one way) I had to leave California and it was before my court date. I forgot all about it and I am planning on taking care of it by any means possible. Will having this on my record even if I pay my fines etc. disqualify me for getting into med school and being able to practice in the future? I am looking for a serious answer not to be judged for my actions since I had my reasons and I will take care of it even if I can't get into medicine. With that being said I want to thank any help in advanced. :)

Members don't see this ad.

It might raise an eyebrow, and you'll probably be asked about it, but being int he service will be a plus, and I can't see this as being lethal.

I want to start by apologizing if I posted this thread in the wrong forum I couldn't find a forum for this, if there is one im sorry. Does a failure to appear at court disqualify me for med school/career in medicine? Long story short I was in California about 4 years ago while on active duty I got pulled over in San Diego for driving against traffic (and no I wasnt drinking or on meds just made a mistake it was my first time driving there and it was late I honestly could not see any traffic sign that indicated one way) I had to leave California and it was before my court date. I forgot all about it and I am planning on taking care of it by any means possible. Will having this on my record even if I pay my fines etc. disqualify me for getting into med school and being able to practice in the future? I am looking for a serious answer not to be judged for my actions since I had my reasons and I will take care of it even if I can't get into medicine. With that being said I want to thank any help in advanced. :)

Reactions: 1 user
It might raise an eyebrow, and you'll probably be asked about it, but being int he service will be a plus, and I can't see this as being lethal.
Thanks and yeah I thought as much and I am going to bring it up before my background check I don't plan on lying it was a mistake I made when I was 18 and besides that my slate is clean I haven't been pulled over and haven't been in any trouble worst than a $15 parking ticket. I was even able to buy and register a car since then so I doubt there are any warrants since it would've shown up at the dmv. Still I plan on traveling there and fixing this issue. Thanks for the response

Members don't see this ad :)
as long as you don't have a repeated history of stuff like that you should be fine.

i'd make sure you report it though on any primary or secondary apps just to be sure.

Probably not if you get this taken care of immediately. You don't need an active warrant showing up on a background check...