Bad biology grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtterMayhem

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

So this is my first semester taking pre-vet classes. I'm going to end the term with a B in Calculus, B in Statistics, C in Intro to Chem (accidentally signed up for a hybrid class, I HATE IT) and a D in Biology(had a C but if I have a C I can't retake so I have to purposely fail). Of course I'm retaking Biology next semester. My 6 month old kitten got FIP and passed during the semester and the stress on me was killer. If you know about this disease you know it kills rapidly and painfully. It's no excuse to fail a class, but it's what happened. I missed some big assignments because of this and it's my fault but I guess what I'm asking is if I get an A or B next semester, what will vet school think that I had to take Biology 1 again? Also, are the rest of my grades good? I have this idea I need straight A's and the fact I don't is stressing me out. Thanks everyone.

Also thought I should add in some of my vet experience
1000 hrs Small Animal Vet
400 hrs ER vet

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is there some reason you can't withdraw from the biology course instead of taking a D? I feel like this would probably be better than intentionally failing just to retake.

B'c and C's aren't bad grades. A "C" is passing. Having said that, it is typically better to do the best that you can and having a C average will make getting into vet school difficult, but not impossible. You want to get "A's" if you can, but if you get a few "B's" and a couple of "C's" here and there it isn't the end of the world and you can still get into veterinary school.

First semester is typically the hardest for people as they are adjusting to college and college courses. So, vet schools like to see an upward trend... so maybe you had no "A's" this semester but get some next semester. Or maybe you had a few "C's" but not semester you get no "C's" and then the semester after your grades improve again...

Reactions: 1 user
Is there some reason you can't withdraw from the biology course instead of taking a D? I feel like this would probably be better than intentionally failing just to retake.

B'c and C's aren't bad grades. A "C" is passing. Having said that, it is typically better to do the best that you can and having a C average will make getting into vet school difficult, but not impossible. You want to get "A's" if you can, but if you get a few "B's" and a couple of "C's" here and there it isn't the end of the world and you can still get into veterinary school.

First semester is typically the hardest for people as they are adjusting to college and college courses. So, vet schools like to see an upward trend... so maybe you had no "A's" this semester but get some next semester. Or maybe you had a few "C's" but not semester you get no "C's" and then the semester after your grades improve again...
I have financial aid and I'm taking four classes at one school and one class at another school. If I go under four classes I lose financial aid. Otherwise I would have dropped already. :( I've been in college for two years now, I wanted to be a teacher for the Deaf and just switched this semester after working for a vet for awhile. I think I'm just overwhelmed by all the math and science. I love the subjects, I'm just not used to it yet I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have financial aid and I'm taking four classes at one school and one class at another school. If I go under four classes I lose financial aid. Otherwise I would have dropped already. :( I've been in college for two years now, I wanted to be a teacher for the Deaf and just switched this semester after working for a vet for awhile. I think I'm just overwhelmed by all the math and science. I love the subjects, I'm just not used to it yet I guess.

As in you have loans? Or scholarships/grants?

If it is loans and they have already dispersed the loans, they don't come take them away if you go below full time. I mean, double check this, but I dropped below full time (if I am remembering correctly it has been a while) for my last semester of undergrad because I needed to drop a course and nobody came to remove my money since it had already been dispersed. But definitely be sure it is possible to withdraw and nothing happen. If it is scholarship or grant money, then nevermind. However, if it is scholarship or grant money you typically have to keep a certain GPA in order to keep those... so you might want to consider getting a C and not retaking. That actually might be an even better decision than intentionally failing. You have plenty of time and courses to improve your GPA since this is only your first semester. Well, depending upon what your GPA is from your first two years.

As in you have loans? Or scholarships/grants?

If it is loans and they have already dispersed the loans, they don't come take them away if you go below full time. I mean, double check this, but I dropped below full time (if I am remembering correctly it has been a while) for my last semester of undergrad because I needed to drop a course and nobody came to remove my money since it had already been dispersed. But definitely be sure it is possible to withdraw and nothing happen. If it is scholarship or grant money, then nevermind. However, if it is scholarship or grant money you typically have to keep a certain GPA in order to keep those... so you might want to consider getting a C and not retaking. That actually might be an even better decision than intentionally failing. You have plenty of time and courses to improve your GPA since this is only your first semester. Well, depending upon what your GPA is from your first two years.
Unfortunately, I'm in such a predicament. I'm transferring from my current institution to the University of Florida's animal Science program. They want a B- or higher in Bio, Chem, Calc and Stat. So I have to re-take the class to get in. The money is from pell grant and if I drop below I not only have to pay it back, but I won't get it next semester.

Unfortunately, I'm in such a predicament. I'm transferring from my current institution to the University of Florida's animal Science program. They want a B- or higher in Bio, Chem, Calc and Stat. So I have to re-take the class to get in. The money is from pell grant and if I drop below I not only have to pay it back, but I won't get it next semester.

I see. That makes more sense.

Any reason why you are transferring? Is it just more interest in the animal science program? Can you not get all the pre-reqs from your current university?

I see. That makes more sense.

Any reason why you are transferring? Is it just more interest in the animal science program? Can you not get all the pre-reqs from your current university?
I'm at a private liberal arts college now, I came here for the Deaf Education degree they have. They only have Bio 1 and some environmental chem which doesn't help me at all, they have barley any science classes. So I figured UF would be the best. I'm not sure if you know Florida well but I could go to the University of North Florida and get a degree in Biology. But I want to learn about equine and farm animals too. UF has all the classes I could possibly want and need.

I'm at a private liberal arts college now, I came here for the Deaf Education degree they have. They only have Bio 1 and some environmental chem which doesn't help me at all, they have barley any science classes. So I figured UF would be the best. I'm not sure if you know Florida well but I could go to the University of North Florida and get a degree in Biology. But I want to learn about equine and farm animals too. UF has all the classes I could possibly want and need.

That all makes sense, I was just curious as to if you needed to transfer or not. But yeah, you should probably transfer to where you can get all the courses and it might as well be to somewhere that has courses you are interested in.

I don't know anything specific about Florida schools, but the typical consensus for getting into veterinary school is that the specific school doesn't matter so much as long as you do the pre-reqs and as long as the schools that require pre-reqs at a 4 year university are done at a 4 year university. So, go for what you are interested in.

To be honest, you will be fine with retaking biology. Just re-take it, do well and continue to improve and learn as you adjust to the science courses and you should be fine. :)

Thank you so much for all your help! I feel a lot better. I was stressing out . I was also curious how do you prove your hours to vet schools? I don't even have any of my old pay stubs anyone and I'm not sure if my W2 would say how many hours I worked. Also, how many vet schools is to many to apply to?

Here's a thought: if you re-take it and make a B, do the grades average? Like, you made a D, then a B - so it's a C in the end. Or you could just make a C the first time and be done with it. I guess that depends on the school you are applying to. Most average, IIRC, but a few don't.

Just thinkin' out loud.

I'm not sure honestly, I contacted the admissions coordinator for the animal science department and asked her that exact question. Still waiting on her response!

I was also curious how do you prove your hours to vet schools?

You don't... for the most part. Some schools might have very specific requirements that prompt you to give them references for every experience you're counting, but that isn't the norm. It's more or less an honor system. I'm sure there are some people who take advantage and fake their hours or invent positions but I'm more sure that the overwhelming majority don't as any suspicion of impropriety in the admission's process could ruin their chances.

Having old pay stubs and W-2's are nice if anyone ever questions or doubts your honesty, but I've personally never heard of a student getting called out and asked to prove their experiences.

Ahh! I was super curious. I have my W-2's, just not pay stubs. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

So this is my first semester taking pre-vet classes. I'm going to end the term with a B in Calculus, B in Statistics, C in Intro to Chem (accidentally signed up for a hybrid class, I HATE IT) and a D in Biology(had a C but if I have a C I can't retake so I have to purposely fail). Of course I'm retaking Biology next semester. My 6 month old kitten got FIP and passed during the semester and the stress on me was killer. If you know about this disease you know it kills rapidly and painfully. It's no excuse to fail a class, but it's what happened. I missed some big assignments because of this and it's my fault but I guess what I'm asking is if I get an A or B next semester, what will vet school think that I had to take Biology 1 again? Also, are the rest of my grades good? I have this idea I need straight A's and the fact I don't is stressing me out. Thanks everyone.

Also thought I should add in some of my vet experience
1000 hrs Small Animal Vet
400 hrs ER vet

If I were you I would take the C in Biology. A D would look SO much worse even if you retake it. Also, if you do retake it there is no guarantee you'd get an A in it or even a B. I was taking a Biology class one semester and had to drop it because I was getting a D in the class because of so many extra curricular and other hard classes I was taking. I'd rather take a W than a D, so I dropped the class and took the W. The next semester I was stuck with a horrible beyond horrible Biology teacher and ended up with a C. My first C too by the way because all I have are A's and three B's. So there isn't any guarantee you'll get the grade you want if you do retake it. I'm not saying you'll get a bad grade again if you do retake it, but you're safer just taking the C. Later on if you want, you can retake the class at a different institution and try to get the A you want. For now though I would not take the D! That has hurt way more for my friends applying than they originally thought.

I wish I could just take the C. But I'm transferring from my current institution and the institution I'm transferring to wants a B in biology or I won't be able to finish my undergrad there.

It's just part of the pre-requisites needed and good grades are mandatory to get in.

...C in Intro to Chem (accidentally signed up for a hybrid class, I HATE IT)

Oh God. Yes. I hate hybrid intro chemistry too! Give me lectures!!! :D

And if it makes you feel any better, I had to study for a year in advance in order to ace General Biology. At the time I was not experienced with those types of studies and my brain required a lot of training.

And if it makes you feel any better, I had to study for a year in advance in order to ace General Biology. At the time I was not experienced with those types of studies and my brain required a lot of training.
Yes! That's exactly how I feel. Seriously though, these hybrid classes are tough! PLEASE give me all the lectures, I learn much better that way. I think the problem is when I was an education major the classes were a piece of cake and I didn't have to put any effort it. Now I'm just overloaded putting so much effort in between so many demanding classes. But thank you, I'm sure you've aced that damn Bio by now haha.

What is a hybrid class?

Is that one of those lovely wonderful "it's new so it must be better" type of teaching things where they emphasize group learning and crap?

What is a hybrid class?

Is that one of those lovely wonderful "it's new so it must be better" type of teaching things where they emphasize group learning and crap?
Haha nope! For classes with labs it's class online and lab in class.

Haha nope! For classes with labs it's class online and lab in class.

Huh. I'd like that if the "class online" just meant "recorded lectures I could watch while sitting at home in my pajamas drinking a beer."

During vet school they started trying to push more of the "collaborative learning" type of stuff. Work in groups! Learn from each other! Teach the rest of the class! What could go wrong?

I'm a cynic, but I *did* try to give a chance. But every single time I came away thinking "ok, I learned <something> ...... but it was about 25% of the amount I could have learned if we had just used the time for lecture."

I hated it. Not that I didn't learn <something> ... just that I found it a tremendously inefficient way to learn. But hey, it's all the rage and latest-greatest, so it must be better, right?

I was so much happier when we'd just move on to a traditional lecture-format where I could listen, take notes, and go study.

Reactions: 3 users
I think the problem is when I was an education major the classes were a piece of cake and I didn't have to put any effort it. Now I'm just overloaded putting so much effort in between so many demanding classes.

Yeah! That's probably what happened. Compared to math and science classes, a lot of college classes are sooooooooo easy. With math/science, you gotta learn to think in whole new ways and at first that's scary and hard! And oh my gosh speaking of math...I went from being an F student with serious math anxiety to an A student who loves math!! :D What made the difference was that I decided I BADLY wanted to be a good math student and I went on a quest to learn just that.

First off, I realized that I learn absolutely nothing in live math lectures. So, I started taking math classes on-line. The lectures were recorded in videos. Being able to pause was a godsend because I could think about what was being said or try to solve a problem before they did. Second, I tried out a gazillion of supplementary math resources. One that I found is Khan Academy! It's a free website that is really good at teaching you math. There are videos on almost every kind of math problem a school could throw at you and the guy that makes the videos explains things REALLY well. Sometimes hearing something explained by a different person is what makes the difference!

I also would keep a list of concepts I was struggling with and I'd go to my professor's office hours every time they were open and tote the list along with me. That helped a lot too!

So anyway, what I'm saying is, if you want to be a great math and/or science student, and you want it bad enough, you will find resources that will show you how to be exactly that!

I'm sure you've aced that damn Bio by now haha.

I took that class 6 years ago, so yes, I have finished kicking it's butt ^_^

Don't go anywhere near UNF if you want to graduate on time :rolleyes:

Huh. I'd like that if the "class online" just meant "recorded lectures I could watch while sitting at home in my pajamas drinking a beer."

During vet school they started trying to push more of the "collaborative learning" type of stuff. Work in groups! Learn from each other! Teach the rest of the class! What could go wrong?

I'm a cynic, but I *did* try to give a chance. But every single time I came away thinking "ok, I learned <something> ...... but it was about 25% of the amount I could have learned if we had just used the time for lecture."

I hated it. Not that I didn't learn <something> ... just that I found it a tremendously inefficient way to learn. But hey, it's all the rage and latest-greatest, so it must be better, right?

I was so much happier when we'd just move on to a traditional lecture-format where I could listen, take notes, and go study.
Her lectures are recorded but she o
Don't go anywhere near UNF if you want to graduate on time :rolleyes:
I live in Jacksonville now and I'm making the commute to St. Augustine everyday. KILLER. UNF doesn't have even close to the amount of animal classes UF has, UNF has canine anatomy which is awesome. But I need more than that!

Yeah! That's probably what happened. Compared to math and science classes, a lot of college classes are sooooooooo easy. With math/science, you gotta learn to think in whole new ways and at first that's scary and hard! And oh my gosh speaking of math...I went from being an F student with serious math anxiety to an A student who loves math!! :D What made the difference was that I decided I BADLY wanted to be a good math student and I went on a quest to learn just that.

First off, I realized that I learn absolutely nothing in live math lectures. So, I started taking math classes on-line. The lectures were recorded in videos. Being able to pause was a godsend because I could think about what was being said or try to solve a problem before they did. Second, I tried out a gazillion of supplementary math resources. One that I found is Khan Academy! It's a free website that is really good at teaching you math. There are videos on almost every kind of math problem a school could throw at you and the guy that makes the videos explains things REALLY well. Sometimes hearing something explained by a different person is what makes the difference!

I also would keep a list of concepts I was struggling with and I'd go to my professor's office hours every time they were open and tote the list along with me. That helped a lot too!

So anyway, what I'm saying is, if you want to be a great math and/or science student, and you want it bad enough, you will find resources that will show you how to be exactly that!

I took that class 6 years ago, so yes, I have finished kicking it's butt ^_^
You are PREASHING. In my Calc class he goes so fast because it's only a 50 minute class and I'm just like...:unsure:. I use khan ALL the time, it's amazing. I also got a personal tutor for calc because my teacher is one of those guys that is such a genius but he can't explain that well and I ended up with an A on my last test. ;) Feeling very accomplished!

I live in Jacksonville now and I'm making the commute to St. Augustine everyday. KILLER. UNF doesn't have even close to the amount of animal classes UF has, UNF has canine anatomy which is awesome. But I need more than that!
Small world, that's where I'm at :D i cant imagine commuting that far every day, that sucks. My bf goes to UNF. He started as a sophomore due to credits from high school and still had to take an extra year. Granted he's in engineering, but I hear they have similar issues in all of their science departments (not enough upper level classes to accommodate the students in the major, poor scheduling).

Small world, that's where I'm at :D i cant imagine commuting that far every day, that sucks. My bf goes to UNF. He started as a sophomore due to credits from high school and still had to take an extra year. Granted he's in engineering, but I hear they have similar issues in all of their science departments (not enough upper level classes to accommodate the students in the major, poor scheduling).
Yeah, it's like a 45 minute drive. :( If you know anything about Flagler College(where I am now), they have no vet kind of science classes. They have a costal science major, being close to the beach and all. But none of the classes help me out at all. I haven't heard the greatest things about UNF and the bad comments just keep on coming :laugh:

You are PREASHING. In my Calc class he goes so fast because it's only a 50 minute class and I'm just like...:unsure:. I use khan ALL the time, it's amazing. I also got a personal tutor for calc because my teacher is one of those guys that is such a genius but he can't explain that well and I ended up with an A on my last test. ;) Feeling very accomplished!

WHOOOOOOO! *high fives*

I've been wanting to learn basic calc but that isn't gonna happen until I get through trig. Thankfully, there is no time limit on this because I'm not in college anymore, so anything I learn is through self-education. I was doing trig for while, but then I got sidetracked on Geometry and then I ended up doing stuff entirely unrelated to math. Haha xD

I just really freaking super love learning xD

Knowledge is like sugar....and I am addicted.

WHOOOOOOO! *high fives*

I've been wanting to learn basic calc but that isn't gonna happen until I get through trig. Thankfully, there is no time limit on this because I'm not in college anymore, so anything I learn is through self-education. I was doing trig for while, but then I got sidetracked on Geometry and then I ended up doing stuff entirely unrelated to math. Haha xD

I just really freaking super love learning xD

Knowledge is like sugar....and I am addicted.
I think the older we get the more we want to learn. I didn't care about jack **** in high school but now I'm like a little sponge, I want to know everything! Yes take calc! The limit does not exist. ;)

Yeah, it's like a 45 minute drive. :( If you know anything about Flagler College(where I am now), they have no vet kind of science classes. They have a costal science major, being close to the beach and all. But none of the classes help me out at all. I haven't heard the greatest things about UNF and the bad comments just keep on coming :laugh:
Ah, I know it by name but don't know anything about it really. I hope you can transfer to UF! I know a lot of people who go/went there. It's a great school :)

Thanks! I just have one semester of pre-reqs left for the animal science major and I should be good to go!:clap:

It's getting progressively worse in the new curriculum. And I'm exactly the same way, I'd much rather you just teach me the material in an hour rather than me spending an hour figuring out 1/5 of the material in a group. Yeah, I learned that 1/5 probably better than I would have sitting in a lecture, but I didn't get the other 4/5 of the material and now have to find a way to teach it to myself.

It's getting progressively worse in the new curriculum. And I'm exactly the same way, I'd much rather you just teach me the material in an hour rather than me spending an hour figuring out 1/5 of the material in a group. Yeah, I learned that 1/5 probably better than I would have sitting in a lecture, but I didn't get the other 4/5 of the material and now have to find a way to teach it to myself.
Are all vet schools like this? I like lecture style learning. I want to learn from the professor, that's what they are testing us on and what we need to know for the future. Don't get me wrong, group work can be fun sometimes. But maybe in things like labs, not anatomy and other classes where there is way to much info.

I think the older we get the more we want to learn. I didn't care about jack **** in high school but now I'm like a little sponge, I want to know everything! Yes take calc! The limit does not exist. ;)

Interesting story: A coincidence is what set me on the knowledge path. When I was a senior in high school a family came to stay with my family and they brought with them a pit bull. I was shocked by how sweet and friendly she was. I thought she was so cool and wondered if she was the only nice pit bull in the world. It made me wanna learn more about pit bulls and I bought a book on the breed. It introduced me to things I'd never heard of before like reward-based training, socialization, conformation, health testing, etc. I thought it was all amazing. I bought another book. Then another....and another. I was forever hooked.

Interesting story: A coincidence is what set me on the knowledge path. When I was a senior in high school a family came to stay with my family and they brought with them a pit bull. I was shocked by how sweet and friendly she was. I thought she was so cool and wondered if she was the only nice pit bull in the world. It made me wanna learn more about pit bulls and I bought a book on the breed. It introduced me to things I'd never heard of before like reward-based training, socialization, conformation, health testing, etc. I thought it was all amazing. I bought another book. Then another....and another. I was forever hooked.
Ugh yes! My current apartment complex had breed restrictions and of course pits are on it. It makes me so so mad! Pits are so sweet and I hate all the bad rep they get. ALL dogs are going to be aggressive if they are raised beaten, abused and to fight. I thought pits weren't nice either till I started worked at an animal hospital and working with quite a few. Did you know some animal hospitals won't even see pits!?

Last edited:
Are all vet schools like this? I like lecture style learning. I want to learn from the professor, that's what they are testing us on and what we need to know for the future. Don't get me wrong, group work can be fun sometimes. But maybe in things like labs, not anatomy and other classes where there is way to much info.
No, and honestly it's not the majority of my classwork. I still spend more hours sitting in lecture than doing "active learning" sessions. But the number of active learning is going up and it bugs the crap out of me. One right now in particular is killing me. We basically have to teach ourselves the material from primary sources (no lecture, no notes posted, just a crap ton of primary journal articles with often conflicting information), then we meet in class and take a quiz on the material, then we go through a case study in our groups. The professor doesn't even lecture other than to go over the cases at the end. I may be learning the material but I don't think the professor is earning her paycheck, and I don't care how many studies she throws at us claiming that this type of self-teaching style works better.

No, and honestly it's not the majority of my classwork. I still spend more hours sitting in lecture than doing "active learning" sessions. But the number of active learning is going up and it bugs the crap out of me. One right now in particular is killing me. We basically have to teach ourselves the material from primary sources (no lecture, no notes posted, just a crap ton of primary journal articles with often conflicting information), then we meet in class and take a quiz on the material, then we go through a case study in our groups. The professor doesn't even lecture other than to go over the cases at the end. I may be learning the material but I don't think the professor is earning her paycheck, and I don't care how many studies she throws at us claiming that this type of self-teaching style works better.
The self-teaching probably works better if you're given the right tools to do it and you have the background knowledge to really understand what you need to be learning. As well as the appropriate amount of time. It doesn't sound like all of those are happening.

The self-teaching probably works better if you're given the right tools to do it and you have the background knowledge to really understand what you need to be learning. As well as the appropriate amount of time. It doesn't sound like all of those are happening.
That's exactly it. If it was "review this material, quiz before lecture, then lecture for full understanding" I could see it. But when one of the "source material" she provides is a YouTube clip of part of Dr. Pol's show... just no. I don't have the background or the knowledge to sift through primary sources and be able to know which procedures or protocols are better or worse, that's why I'm here, in vet school, to build up the background. I have the rest of my career to work through sorting out the primary sources and CE.
Then again, this is also a professor who wants her class average to be a C "because that's what it should be." And also trying to convince us that "a lower grade won't impact our GPA" because it's only a 1.5 credit class. That may be true, but some of us are applying to residency programs and a low grade on a transcript is a low grade on a transcript. Plus, why am I doing all of this extra outside of class work for a lowly 1.5 credit class in the first place?? BLARG I could rant about this forever apparently

That's exactly it. If it was "review this material, quiz before lecture, then lecture for full understanding" I could see it. But when one of the "source material" she provides is a YouTube clip of part of Dr. Pol's show... just no. I don't have the background or the knowledge to sift through primary sources and be able to know which procedures or protocols are better or worse, that's why I'm here, in vet school, to build up the background. I have the rest of my career to work through sorting out the primary sources and CE.
Then again, this is also a professor who wants her class average to be a C "because that's what it should be." And also trying to convince us that "a lower grade won't impact our GPA" because it's only a 1.5 credit class. That may be true, but some of us are applying to residency programs and a low grade on a transcript is a low grade on a transcript. Plus, why am I doing all of this extra outside of class work for a lowly 1.5 credit class in the first place?? BLARG I could rant about this forever apparently
I read so much good stuff about Minnesota, I'm thinking of applying there. Do you like it otherwise? Are other classes better than this dreadful sounding one?

Good god. I feel for you here. I have nothing against blazing my own trail with self education.....but I do it for lack of a feasible alternative. I am not in school right now. I'm just learning some stuff for fun and some other stuff to advance my career. If I was in school, I'd want my professor to at least give me some sort of road map. Otherwise I would wonder why I was even there haha xD

Ugh yes! My current apartment complex had breed restrictions and of course pits are on it. It makes me so so mad! Pits are so sweet and I hate all the bad rep they get. ALL dogs are going to be aggressive if they are raised beaten, abused and to fight. I thought pits weren't nice either till I started worked at an animal hospital and working with quite a few. Did you know some animal hospitals won't even see pits!?

I figured there were hospitals like that, but I've never been to one personally. :) Mostly all I hear from the veterinary profession is how much they love pit bull patients because they tend to be such troopers that let them poke and prod all over them.

I was a pit bull owner for awhile (then later got into Amstaffs...which are like the AKC's version) but I got out of the breed because I was so sick of random people freaking out on me because, wow, how I dare I walk my dog or take it to PetsMart. Now I have a Corgi and people act completely different. They are more apt to come up to me and talk or ask to pet the dog.

Everytime I see somebody walking a pit bull, I feel sorry for them, and the dog :(

Last edited:
I gave had many clients warn me that they would like to bring their pit bull to be seen and us that OK? I think they are usually shocked when I start gushing over the breed. The vast majority are super sweet. @devyn this discussion may be up your Valley

I read so much good stuff about Minnesota, I'm thinking of applying there. Do you like it otherwise? Are other classes better than this dreadful sounding one?
It's really hard to compare, since I've never been to another vet school. Really, Minnesota is not all that bad, I think they're trying to do right by their students, but I've kind of gotten the short end of the stick repeatedly and so I'm a little jaded. Probably not the best person to sing their praises, but a big part of that is my focus. I want to do lab animal medicine, and while on paper it sort of looks like they're trying to make it better/easier for lab animal peeps, in actuality they're making it more difficult and trying to fit us into the cookie cutter mold of small animal practitioner. I was honestly told that they had to prepare me more for that because I needed to be good in case I needed to do that as a "back up" (despite me telling them that I would pursue x, y, z, etc before going that route). And like the first 3 years of vet school don't do that enough already? I'm ranting again, sorry. I think its a good school for the straightforward small animal, food animal, equine routes. I think it's less than optimal for anyone interested in wildlife, exotics, zoo, or lab animal.

I gave had many clients warn me that they would like to bring their pit bull to be seen and us that OK? I think they are usually shocked when I start gushing over the breed. The vast majority are super sweet. @devyn this discussion may be up your Valley

Yeah. This was basically my experience the first time I went to my vet's practice ~10 years ago

The breed has it's bad apples for sure, and you gotta be careful when they're around other dogs because they can get pretty pissed off when other dogs are rude....but with people....man....they are AMAZING.

I think they're trying to do right by their students

This is something I'd like to believe, but I've become unsure about it. I'd like to think that the vet schools care about their students but if they care then why charge them so much to attend? Does it really cost a school 30-80k per student, per year, to teach them? Sometimes I wonder if you poor people have been preyed upon because they know you don't have a choice but to pay that huge price :(

Yeah. This was basically my experience the first time I went to my vet's practice ~10 years ago

The breed has it's bad apples for sure, and you gotta be careful when they're around other dogs because they can get pretty pissed off when other dogs are rude....but with people....man....they are AMAZING.

This is something I'd like to believe, but I've become unsure about it. I'd like to think that the vet schools care about their students but if they care then why charge them so much to attend? Does it really cost a school 30-80k per student, per year, to teach them? Sometimes I wonder if you poor people have been preyed upon because they know you don't have a choice but to pay that huge price :(
Think about the costs that go into that. Building space, top academics, top equipment and large variety so you can learn the current the standard of care. Even if the clinic at a school doesn't make money, the school has to continue to operate it.

Then you need animals for anatomy, samples for various research to keep academia moving along, samples for learning, herds and other animals for physical diagnosis and it all adds up.

unsure about it. I'd like to think that the vet schools care about their students but if they care then why charge them so much to attend? Does it really cost a school 30-80k per student, per year, to teach them? Sometimes I wonder if you poor people have been preyed upon because they know you don't have a choice but to pay that huge price :(
I don't know honestly. I'm sure there is a lot of overhead, and since the program is so small I imagine it is difficult to justify expenses as easily (as opposed to like, the nursing program with hundreds/thousands of students). I don't necessarily blame the school for it's tuition costs, I think a lot of it has to do with the funding sources for the school. If there were more avenues for the school to get it's overhead costs taken care of (taxes, government, whatever) then perhaps tuition wouldn't be so high. The last few years they've even managed to "freeze" tuition rates so at least the costs aren't increasing every year. That being said, it could all be a scam because they know they will continue to fill seats even at the current ridiculous tuition prices. Who knows..

It's really hard to compare, since I've never been to another vet school. Really, Minnesota is not all that bad, I think they're trying to do right by their students, but I've kind of gotten the short end of the stick repeatedly and so I'm a little jaded. Probably not the best person to sing their praises, but a big part of that is my focus. I want to do lab animal medicine, and while on paper it sort of looks like they're trying to make it better/easier for lab animal peeps, in actuality they're making it more difficult and trying to fit us into the cookie cutter mold of small animal practitioner. I was honestly told that they had to prepare me more for that because I needed to be good in case I needed to do that as a "back up" (despite me telling them that I would pursue x, y, z, etc before going that route). And like the first 3 years of vet school don't do that enough already? I'm ranting again, sorry. I think its a good school for the straightforward small animal, food animal, equine routes. I think it's less than optimal for anyone interested in wildlife, exotics, zoo, or lab animal.
I'm definitely small animal, so you think Minnesota would be a good fit to look into? I feel schools push small animal down everyone's throat while it's very important, yes, give it a break for the students who don't want to go into it.

I'm definitely small animal, so you think Minnesota would be a good fit to look into? I feel schools push small animal down everyone's throat while it's very important, yes, give it a break for the students who don't want to go into it.
Yeah I think they're decent for small animal. That being said, their tuition is crazy high. Like, I would consider it a last resort unless you're IS or happen to get into one of the few more expensive schools. Also they're having a problem finding a boarded dentist so they don't even have a dentistry rotation currently, and they just lost their boarded behaviorist. Theoretically they'll take care of that problem before you'd get there, but since they lost the dentist during @LetItSnow's clinical year and they still haven't found a replacement... tough to say

I don't know honestly. I'm sure there is a lot of overhead, and since the program is so small I imagine it is difficult to justify expenses as easily (as opposed to like, the nursing program with hundreds/thousands of students). I don't necessarily blame the school for it's tuition costs, I think a lot of it has to do with the funding sources for the school. If there were more avenues for the school to get it's overhead costs taken care of (taxes, government, whatever) then perhaps tuition wouldn't be so high. The last few years they've even managed to "freeze" tuition rates so at least the costs aren't increasing every year. That being said, it could all be a scam because they know they will continue to fill seats even at the current ridiculous tuition prices. Who knows..

Yeah. That sums up my thoughts pretty well. It really could be either one.