Bad etiquette to ask research professor for summer pay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jow2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been doing research in a lab at my school for the past two semesters, and I like the research I do. Since I will be living near my school this summer for taking a MCAT prep course and will have most mornings free, I've asked my PI if I can work in lab over the summer part-time, and he has agreed. However, I haven't mentioned anything about getting paid, and my PI hasn't either...Rent is expensive, not to mention the MCAT course is expensive too, so I'd like to be compensated a little for my work in lab this summer. Is it bad etiquette or would it give a bad impression if I asked my PI if he will pay me? I qualify for work-study so maybe that will make it easier? I've been in this lab for a while now and my PI likes me because I've done well in his lab these past two semesters.

Members don't see this ad.

If he likes you enough I don't see any harm in asking.

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a stipend. I'd speak to your PI in person and let him know you want to continue working in his lab over the summer, but you'd need a stipend to be able to cover your living expenses. I think as long as your respectful and sincere in your request, he'll approve (assuming his lab has money to spare).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to approach this indirectly, you can ask if your PI knows about any outside grants undergrads can apply for to fund summer research. There is money available for students to fund research in a lab at their home institution, and your PI might be able to help you find it. If he can't, maybe bringing up finances in this way will prompt him to offer you wages?

I'm not sure how Work-Study works because I never qualified, but OP you should definitely look into it.

If you want to approach this indirectly, you can ask if your PI knows about any outside grants undergrads can apply for to fund summer research. There is money available for students to fund research in a lab at their home institution, and your PI might be able to help you find it. If he can't, maybe bringing up finances in this way will prompt him to offer you wages?

Not a huge fan of the beating around the bush tactic, but this doesn't sound like it at all and actually is very diplomatic. Good idea :thumbup: If this fails then at least the OP tried and s/he can resort to Plan B, no pun intended :D

You should email whoever manages interns / grad students at the institute and ask them how much interns get paid.

I asked my research professor if he could provide a stipend and he told me he had no money. He is a relatively new professor and I guess grants haven't been favorable. Because I need more experience, I'm now doing this for free over the summer. Sigh.

I asked my research professor if he could provide a stipend and he told me he had no money. He is a relatively new professor and I guess grants haven't been favorable. Because I need more experience, I'm now doing this for free over the summer. Sigh.

Hey, thousands of undergrads have done the same for research experience since the dawn of time. I did, and now you can do the same.

Hey, thousands of undergrads have done the same for research experience since the dawn of time. I did, and now you can do the same.

Hooray! I am considering asking another professor who I know has a paid position open if I can join his and do both labs this summer.

Not bad etiquette in the slightest. PI's know you gotta eat, pay bills, etc., so it's definitely worth asking. After my first year in the lab as a volunteer, I asked if it would be possible to get paid hourly, which would allow me to be full time in the lab rather than part time with a part time job to make money on the side. My PI was happy to pay me to stay in the lab.

Work study is for Fall and Spring, consecutively, after filing a FAFSA by the beginning of the yr.

I'd definitely ask...the only times I wouldn't ask are when the lab is your first one or you've been messing up.

I've been doing research in a lab at my school for the past two semesters, and I like the research I do. Since I will be living near my school this summer for taking a MCAT prep course and will have most mornings free, I've asked my PI if I can work in lab over the summer part-time, and he has agreed. However, I haven't mentioned anything about getting paid, and my PI hasn't either...Rent is expensive, not to mention the MCAT course is expensive too, so I'd like to be compensated a little for my work in lab this summer. Is it bad etiquette or would it give a bad impression if I asked my PI if he will pay me? I qualify for work-study so maybe that will make it easier? I've been in this lab for a while now and my PI likes me because I've done well in his lab these past two semesters.

You could ask , but in general if he hasn't mentioned money, there isn't any. Most undergrad research is for the line on the CV, not money.