Bad First Semester: Freshman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocHopefl

TheFuture
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I had a terrible first semester, what's the typical profile for an Iowa student to get into a D.O. school? Any help would be appreciated, because I am afraid that my future is in jeopardy. Thanks :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Unknown3234 said:
hmm, its one semester. I don't think it could mess up your future. Just do better and keep studying. If you made an F in a science I would retake it.

Exactly. You still have time, and it will be better to show upward trend. Also your chances will depend on your MCAT as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
FutureDocHopefl said:
Hey everyone,
I had a terrible first semester, what's the typical profile for an Iowa student to get into a D.O. school? Any help would be appreciated, because I am afraid that my future is in jeopardy. Thanks :scared:

And you show a real commitment to Osteopathic Medicine, with such comments as "I am probably just going to apply to a D.O. school or a Caribbean school. All I have to do is make up some story about choosing D.O. instead of an M.D. school, and if that doesn't work I can easily get into a Caribeean school and make the same amount of money like every other physician out there." What do you think, people don't read both boards?

Dead said:
And you show a real commitment to Osteopathic Medicine, with such comments as "I am probably just going to apply to a D.O. school or a Caribbean school. All I have to do is make up some story about choosing D.O. instead of an M.D. school, and if that doesn't work I can easily get into a Caribeean school and make the same amount of money like every other physician out there." What do you think, people don't read both boards?

I didn't know people had enough time to read every single minute detail like yourself.

I'm hardly ever on this site. Before yesterday, I hadn't been here in weeks. But loads of people are addicted to SDN, so even if I was, I'd be in good company.

Dead said:
I'm hardly ever on this site. Before yesterday, I hadn't been here in weeks. But loads of people are addicted to SDN, so even if I was, I'd be in good company.

Well the best thing is to do is accept it, because you can't change it and do better the rest of the time. If you continue to do really good from now on then it won't make much different. If you are only a freshman you have a long way to go. Stop worrying, try your best and don't forget to enjoy life! I am sure your first semester didn't even compare to mine. :rolleyes: Those were some good times. :D

Even though he's a freshman, he's already lost, mentally. I'm suprised that you're not taking our advice dude, and this is the last time that I'm going to say it. It's only one semester and you can totally change things around, kill the MCAT and get great grades from here on out. Once you think you've lost, as you clearly have with the negative attitude that you keep on bringing here, you will lose. Just don't give up. The only way for you ensure that your future is NOT in jeapordy is to take action now and form it before it's too late--the only way to really predict your future is to create it today. You're not destined for Carribean or D.O. school unless you really want to go to either. Stop complaining, get off your a$$ and crack open your chemistry book and see what went wrong. That's what I'm doing these Holidays. Good luck man.

To be fair to the OP, he/she never said anything about being "relegated" to DO school, instead of MD school. Nothing was ever said regarding that much-discussed topic. The OP simply stated that he/she was concerned about getting into DO school.

Taus said:
To be fair to the OP, he/she never said anything about being "relegated" to DO school, instead of MD school. Nothing was ever said regarding that much-discussed topic. The OP simply stated that he/she was concerned about getting into DO school.
The OP was initially MD bound. He posted this in the pre-allopathic board. I just don't want him to give up what I percieve to be his dreams due to a single daunting semester. I did not mean any disrespect.

my mistake...I was not aware of that....thanks

To the OP.....If you want to be an MD, great...a DO, great.....but to think that one semesters grades should have any impact on your career choice in any way, shape, or form is rediculous. It's only first semester, you may not even want to go into medicine in 3 years, let alone decide Osteopathic or Allopathic.