Bad form not to apply to home institution?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YellowEmu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would apply. You can always rank them last or not at all. Didn't they write you letters?

That's just me. There is no risk in applying, but there is in not.

You need to apply AND go on the interview to your home program. I was in the same situation with ortho, but it is very poor form to not even apply to a program who took the time to help you along the way and write letters for you. I think it would be very disrespectful and the residents and attendings will notice and be offended. Don't be that guy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't goon yourself. You knew the right answer when you posted this. Even if you're a kick ***** applicant don't make the mistake of being too selective in the early parts of the process. Be picky after the invites come in or after you've interviewed.

There's also the school of thought that home programs don't take home applicants very often in surgical sub-specialties. The reason put forth that they don't want to train someone who will eventually become their competition in practice some day.

Don't know if its true or not. But I'd much rather train at my home program. Having gotten to know a number of locally trained ENT surgeons, I'd like to also say that I trained in the same program as them, under the same attendings.

Not the case where I am at. We are not worried about local competition - there is plenty of work for everyone. More interested in matching the best residents - it may be that some places rank locals lower simply because they have had the opportunity to work with them longer, and any potential personality conflicts can arise... Not only between students/residents/staff but also nurses/administrative personnel/etc. Personally, I think that the majority of people look better on paper.

There's also the school of thought that home programs don't take home applicants very often in surgical sub-specialties. The reason put forth that they don't want to train someone who will eventually become their competition in practice some day.

Don't know if its true or not. But I'd much rather train at my home program. Having gotten to know a number of locally trained ENT surgeons, I'd like to also say that I trained in the same program as them, under the same attendings.

Not true at all. Most surgical subspecialties tend to favor a "known commodity" over the hoi polloi who come for the interviews.