Bad high school dual enrollment grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarora11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i'm a Jr. with a 3.7 gpa overall, and somewhere around there for my science gpa, and got a 20-21-20 AA-TS-PAT on the DAT with a 24 RC. I have about 80 hrs shadowing, 300 hours volunteering, 200ish hours research, have 2 minors (Buissness/chem) preceptored 2 classes, done some small clinical stuff with USC dental school and a couple of other smaller things.

Thats my resume, so I feel pretty good about my chances of getting into a dental school. Now, what i'm worried about is my high school dual enrollment credits bringing my GPA way down. I wasn't very motivated in high school and got several dual enrollment comm college C's. With all these C's on that transcript, it'll probably bring my gpa down to a 3.5. I know that i've shown gradual improvement over the years, but how will dental schools respond to this? To everyone out there worrying about a similar situation or anyone with answers, please do share. Thanks again SDN'ers for everything!

Edit: anyone also have an idea as to what schools I should apply to in the sense of middle to upper schools if i have a chance? or should I just stick w/ the middle to lower schools

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You'll be fine, and yes they will respond to the improvement. I had a similar situation with dual enrollment, except magnified by 10x. I graduated with honors from undergrad but with the DE grades factored in my overall was a sub-3.0 when I applied!

Youhave a good trend and solid DAT and ECs so I wouldn't fret over a few rough grades in high school. Just have a good answer prepared for your interviews.

That's rediculous. You will be fine. Your DAT can show you compete well with others.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks guys. I've actually heard bad stories about hs credits screwing people over so I just wanted to see how some others felt. Armor i'm happy to hear that you were accepted with a similar situation-very inspiring! I'm considering incorporating this situation into my personal statement.

anyone also have an idea as to what schools I should apply to in the sense of middle to upper schools if i have a chance? or should I just stick w/ the middle to lower schools

Your GPA/DAT is competitive, especially for many Private schools. Click on the link in my signature and formulate a list of schools for yourself, based on 3.5 GPA and 20 DAT. After you've formed your own list, you can message me and I'll edit your final list of schools.

thanks guys. I've actually heard bad stories about hs credits screwing people over so I just wanted to see how some others felt. Armor i'm happy to hear that you were accepted with a similar situation-very inspiring! I'm considering incorporating this situation into my personal statement.

If you think it's a serious issue, that's not a bad idea. Given your overall GPA (which by itself is above average) I don't know how worth it that would be. I certainly did however.