Bad mcat score/ primary app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chacha89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took the MCAT in June and was very unprepared scored horribly (below 20) on it due to lack of studying. I already started the application a while ago and was waiting for my scores to send in my primaries, not thinking I would do that horribly because I did better on practice tests. I am now enrolled in a Kaplan course but cannot take the MCAT again until September second, so would not be receiving scores until OCTOBER. At this point i'm thinking post-bacc is my best option, but is it bad to send in my primaries since they see my horrible MCAT score, or will they know I am retaking it and wait on those? I hate to apply so late but am unsure if it's better if my MCAT score will be way better. PLEASEEE HELLP!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They'll know you are retaking it. There usually is a space for you to specify that on the secondary. At this point though I don't think submitting would be your best option. If you think you can do much better on the MCAT this time and have decent EC's and a good GPA I would just hold off until next year. Post Bac isn't necessary unless you are trying to make up for bad grades in college. If you haven't given yourself enough time to study though I wouldn't take the exam until January. Good Luck with whatever you decide

Members don't see this ad :)
i did just notice the other passage. sorry to repeat the questions.
I know that it will require a huge jump, i am currently enrolled in a kaplan course were i am studying about 8 hours a day, and am improving already. I already signed up for the mcat so i may push it back to january or if i feel n a few weeks (based off practice tests) my score i good I will still take it and apply. It's hard that it will be so late though, and have not submitted my primaries, it's a tough decision but I'll look into it.

thanks guys

i did just notice the other passage. sorry to repeat the questions.
I know that it will require a huge jump, i am currently enrolled in a kaplan course were i am studying about 8 hours a day, and am improving already. I already signed up for the mcat so i may push it back to january or if i feel n a few weeks (based off practice tests) my score i good I will still take it and apply. It's hard that it will be so late though, and have not submitted my primaries, it's a tough decision but I'll look into it.

thanks guys

If you aren't where you want to be on practices now you should probably cancel. I applied in late August last year and got most of my secondaries in by end of sep/oct. I had a 30Q and good GPA and EC's and didn't get in anywhere. It's rough at the the end of the cycle if you don't have a stellar score.

I retook this year and got a 34Q and have most of my secondaries in at this point. I really cannot believe I was stupid enough to apply that late and waste all that money last year looking back now. Just wait a year. Med school isn't going anywhere.

Plus you may be able to get a partial refund on your test at this point but not in a few weeks...

They'll know you are retaking it. There usually is a space for you to specify that on the secondary. At this point though I don't think submitting would be your best option. If you think you can do much better on the MCAT this time and have decent EC's and a good GPA I would just hold off until next year. Post Bac isn't necessary unless you are trying to make up for bad grades in college. If you haven't given yourself enough time to study though I wouldn't take the exam until January. Good Luck with whatever you decide

I think there's even a place on the primary to mention it.

But I agree with you that this application cycle probably isn't worth it. If the OP has a killer GPA and ECs and is making practice scores >28, I miiiiight go for it anyway.

I think there's even a place on the primary to mention it.

But I agree with you that this application cycle probably isn't worth it. If the OP has a killer GPA and ECs and is making practice scores >28, I miiiiight go for it anyway.

Seen it elsewhere but don't know what OP stands for. Anyone care to enlighten me?

good advice, don't want to waste money. What about taking it and applying to post-bacc? Aren't there decisions usually made later, or is it still super late for that? My GPA isn't awesome anyways to if I wait I still might not get in next year, might be better to just go straight for post-bacc, sooo hard to make decisions here.