Bad News!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dafade

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone; so the unthinkable has happened. I somehow failed the data gathering component of CS. Such bs! So what you will probably find interesting is that I'm in the top 10% of my class, AOA, and I've never had a problem with this kind of thing. My question is, does anyone think that programs will ask for this score or the ck score before rank lists are submitted (my ck score is not in yet but I'm not worried about it)? My application is otherwise stellar and I can't believe this! Let's just say that I'm applying to a competitive specialty and everything was in great order until now. The only thing I can come up with is withholding the score until rank lists are submitted and taking CS again in Feb or March.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, man...that blows. You'll probably just have to play it by ear with programs because if they request your CK socres, you'll have to send your transcript which includes your CS score. I can't imagine a competitive program not wanting board scores prior to ranking, but who knows.

Hi everyone; so the unthinkable has happened. I somehow failed the data gathering component of CS. Such bs! So what you will probably find interesting is that I'm in the top 10% of my class, AOA, and I've never had a problem with this kind of thing. My question is, does anyone think that programs will ask for this score or the ck score before rank lists are submitted (my ck score is not in yet but I'm not worried about it)? My application is otherwise stellar and I can't believe this! Let's just say that I'm applying to a competitive specialty and everything was in great order until now. The only thing I can come up with is withholding the score until rank lists are submitted and taking CS again in Feb or March.

Thanks
Sucks. It is probably the wisest move to withhold the score, but inevitably you're going to run into some programs that are going to ask you about when you're taking your exams. It wouldn't be the smoothest move to deceive, but you're going to have to be able to explain the issue.

Definitely take it again and make sure you pass it the second go around.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks

The word to the not so wise. Never think you are too good for a national exam, the bureaucratic BS will rape you worse than any multiple choice test. There's always the possibility you are an excellent memorizer who performs great on multiple choice tests but who has no personality, soul, and have a disinterest in patient care.

But lets assume you are a generally good person. Retake the test, rock its socks, and get it done BEFORE rank goes out. Then, you win!

Do you find out if you failed before you get your score report? I have heard people finding out they failed before there score is back. I think their school gets it first, and maybe they contact them beforehand. I took my exam recently and am not expected to get my results till feb 2nd. I hate the wait and want to know if I failed ASAP and don't want to wait till Feb 2nd. I don't think I failed but I was think about the worst case scenarios

That's Rough!

Did you prepare for it? Did you school have its own form of practice CS?

I would definitely drag your feet as much as possible when it comes to sending scores, but I think you are probably going to have some explaining to do for some programs.

Assuming you have already been on a decent number of interview, and the programs know that your a normal nice person who speaks English, they may be willing to overlook a failed CS as long as you can get it passed again ASAP.

Have you checked the score report dates yet? Looks like if you can find some way to take it NOW (like before January) then you can still get the pass early Feb. which could save you some trouble.

This is probably worth talking to you school about, Data gathering seems to be the most commonly failed by US grads from what I have read about on here. Did you feel like you asked enough questions? Did you perform a solid exam?

Get First Aid for Step 2 CS and go by that. Even if you are stellar clinically, you still need to "follow the rules" when it comes to gathering the history, performing the physical exam, and ordering tests. The point is not getting the right answer. It is the process that they are testing.

I just failed Step2ck and am petitioning my state to let me take it again. I must pass it again by May 11th,2011 to be able to get my license to EVER practice medicine. (Well that deadline was imposed by an IMG school that I am no longer affiliated with). So if I transfer, can another school switch deadlines or does ECFMG certification stay that way forever?