Bad PreMed Advisor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YLFounder

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So our school has two premed advisors: one for freshman and sophomores, and one for juniors and seniors. I'm a sophomore, but I met with the junior/senior premed advisor today and I did not like her at all. She was going against the scheduling my academic advisor had laid out, she rushed through the appointment, and didn't even give me enough time to ask all the questions I had.

I know she and I didn't get off on the wrong start; she seemed to like me, but how do I prevent stuff like this from happening again? I want to be able to sit with her and voice all my questions, and since she writes a committee letter, I don't want to get on her bad side by complaining about her to school officials. Also, by going against what she said for my schedule, will that make her not like me?

I can't afford to go with the plan she laid out right now, because it doesn't collaborate with my personal issues either, something which my academic advisor and I discussed beforehand.

Members don't see this ad.

So our school has two premed advisors: one for freshman and sophomores, and one for juniors and seniors. I'm a sophomore, but I met with the junior/senior premed advisor today and I did not like her at all. She was going against the scheduling my academic advisor had laid out, she rushed through the appointment, and didn't even give me enough time to ask all the questions I had.

I know she and I didn't get off on the wrong start; she seemed to like me, but how do I prevent stuff like this from happening again? I want to be able to sit with her and voice all my questions, and since she writes a committee letter, I don't want to get on her bad side by complaining about her to school officials. Also, by going against what she said for my schedule, will that make her not like me?

I can't afford to go with the plan she laid out right now, because it doesn't collaborate with my personal issues either, something which my academic advisor and I discussed beforehand.

I honestly recommend avoiding your premed adviser at all costs. She seems rude and intolerant. No one cares what she thinks. Do what you feel is right.

SDN is the essential resource. Use it and you'll be better off.

Reactions: 4 users
May I point you to the most recent pre-osteo rant on advisors haha...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/college-advisors.1065603/

Short answer to your problem.. you dont prevent stuff like that from happening. You just go along for the ride, be polite, smile and nod. Then do what you you need to get your letter. The sooner it is uploaded to your interfolio, the better.

I would say the only possibility is to bring it up to your academic advisor in such a way as to make it so there might be a gentle nudge from someone besides you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if I am exactly right or not. . . but if she seems so careless and dismissive toward you, then why would you ask her for a letter? What if she does a LAZY job writing your letter for you?

Pre-med advisers, on average, know less than nothing about getting into med school.

Seriously, why would you trust anyone whose greatest accomplishment is being a pre-med adviser??

Premed advisors are not nearly as informed as their title requires them to be. But that's okay; that's what SDN is for.

SDN got me into Med School.

It's all you need.

edit: Holy **** I'm in Med School!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
This has got me feeling so much better. Thanks guys :)

It's all you need.

I agree SDN got me into medical school - everything I learned about the MCAT and applying for medical school, I learned on SDN.

Reactions: 3 users
Please remember that you do not need a letter of recommendation from a pre-med advisor - and if you don't have a committee letter, then you get get six different individual letters from different professors (2 science, 2 non-science, 1 MD, and possibly research professor). I know plenty of students who do not have committee letters and they are absolutely fine.

It's all you need.

for real though.....^This. I went to my premed adviser exactly one time, he was civil but completely ignored the realities I faced as a parent when advising my plan to get into medicine.....and we have a medical school here. Super nice guy, super useless advice. SDN was my "big brother" through this mess.

I got into med school too :highfive:

for real though.....^This. I went to my premed adviser exactly one time, he was civil but completely ignored the realities I faced as a parent when advising my plan to get into medicine.....and we have a medical school here. Super nice guy, super useless advice. SDN was my "big brother" through this mess.

I got into med school too :highfive:

borat_great_success.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
My premed advisor told me on multiple occasions, that I would fail at everything, because I was taking on too much. Each time, I smiled politely, said "challenge accepted" and proved him wrong with 4.0 semesters. I didn't need a committee letter because I was post-bac, but I never burned that bridge -- just in case. A few schools, require a committee letter if your school offers one. So if you don't have one, it may look a little funny.

Do you need this adviser's permission to register? If not, I would just take the classes originally advised, and IF she remembers and brings it up at next semester's advising - highly unlikely - then politely tell her your schedule changed at the last minute for personal reasons. I'd also "nudge" your other adviser to intervene as well.

Succeeding at anything is equal parts preparation, opportunity and networking. Networking is arguably the most important while your future is literally in other people's hands, so whatever you do, tread lightly and keep all doors open.

SDN was my premed adviser because the actual adviser at my school, as well as the premedical advisory committee, did nothing but create additional stumbling blocks and hoops to get in the way of premeds. I made it into med school just fine without them.

SDN was my premed adviser because the actual adviser at my school, as well as the premedical advisory committee, did nothing but create additional stumbling blocks and hoops to get in the way of premeds. I made it into med school just fine without them.

+1. I actually didn't' use the committee as an ultimate act of protest against the bureaucracy that is the committee and their silly cover letter. They force early decision candidates to take their MCAT in March because they need April-July to get to your file, somehow. I took mine in June, no letter from them. In for the win.