Bad Rec Letter: Should I just quit my job now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlantis07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I never signed a contract but I'm supposed to work another 2 years. Would it be better to just quit my job now? I'm miserable at work most of the time anyways... What should I do?

You should look for another job ASAP if you are miserable--no question about it.

You may want to respectfully confront her first. Still, do not stay long in a situation you are unhappy with--it is no good for your own health.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should look for another job ASAP if you are miserable--no question about it.

You may want to respectfully confront her first. Still, do not stay long in a situation you are unhappy with--it is no good for your own health.

Yeah, agree with the above. By all means consider finding another job if you can.

One thought: In all likelihood, you will be wondering until the end of time whether or not your boss actually said those things and whether she meant it and unless "confronting her" resolves the "confusion" (and it probably won't), you may want to look around to see what your options are. I'm sorry -- sounds like a really tough situation. I wish you all the best.

EDIT: Just saw that you can't really talk to your boss about the situation due to the coworkers involved. Frankly if I were you, I'd just try to look for a new job now if you reasonably can. Try to take solace in the fact that your friends/coworkers are probably right about the following: If she's too scared to confront you to your face, she'd probably never write anything bad about you in a letter you might reasonably get a hold of (and a letter that represents HER ability to employ competent workers).

Are you sure she said those bad things about you? If so, Destro96 put it best. Quit for your own health. If you are a dedicated worker, which it sounds like you are, you can easily find someone who will appreciate having you around.

Definitely go for the new job :( Sorry to hear your boss is such a prick.

How can you be sure that she's said these things? Might your coworkers be attempting to demoralize you or to get you to leave for their own selfish ends?

I also agree with the comment that you don't NEED a letter from her. Most schools are happy with letters from faculty at your school.

I say stick with the job and surprise her with excessive enthusiasm, compassion and interest. Then she'll write you a great letter.

i would talk to her (your boss) about how your feeling, see what she says, and make a choice based off of that. i would never quit a job based off of coworker b.s., or without explaining how i am feeling to my boss first. if she is nice, maybe she will try and do something different with you (more patient interaction), or maybe she is just a snotty person. either way, talk to her and see if anything changes, if not...then leave and find a more positive environment

Agree with above AND...

How can you be sure that she's said these things?

That's just the problem -- you can't be sure either way. If the OP is a non-trad (as well s/he might be) this employer letter might be a big deal for him/her.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and appreciate any advice.. Here's my situation. My boss is a physician and over the past months that I've worked for her I've learned that she's really underhanded and manipulative. To my face, she praises me all the time. But I just found out today that she has been telling all of my co-workers that she did not think I would make a good doctor. She's never even seen me interact with patients, but she thinks that I am not compassionate, am not a people person, and am not interested. I'm not sure where she got that impression and I've been working so hard for her for the past months. I never signed a contract but I'm supposed to work another 2 years. Would it be better to just quit my job now? I'm miserable at work most of the time anyways and it's disheartening that she doesn't think well of me. It makes me really scared of what she would write. My friends say that she won't write anything bad because she'll want to look good to other people (if I get into a school). But I don't want to leave it to chance and I'm also bitter. I can't really talk to her about her comments because that would make things awkward and I don't want my co-workers to get in trouble. What should I do?

Your thread title is misleading. So what job do you have. I need to know what type of job you have before saying to throw it in the trash or not. You are young, you need work experience in something. You will always find people who talk behind your back no matter where you work (may not be the people you work with directly, but somebody in the company will be saying something)....that is the nature of the work place.

If you feel like crap and you work a job that won't help you get a job in the future, then keep the job won't do you any good.......do you need the money to pay bills?

About the people person comment. It only takes a few minutes to a few hours to tell if a person is a people person. What helped me get the job I have was my quitness, calmness, and having a nice personality.

How can you be sure that she's said these things? Might your coworkers be attempting to demoralize you or to get you to leave for their own selfish ends?

I also agree with the comment that you don't NEED a letter from her. Most schools are happy with letters from faculty at your school.

Exactly what I was thinking...

Your thread title is misleading. So what job do you have. I need to know what type of job you have before saying to throw it in the trash or not. You are young, you need work experience in something. You will always find people who talk behind your back no matter where you work (may not be the people you work with directly, but somebody in the company will be saying something)....that is the nature of the work place.

If you feel like crap and you work a job that won't help you get a job in the future, then keep the job won't do you any good.......do you need the money to pay bills?

About the people person comment. It only takes a few minutes to a few hours to tell if a person is a people person. What helped me get the job I have was my quitness, calmness, and having a nice personality.

Quitness????