Bad situation, Do not want to give up on medschool. Help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocRDLT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To make the story short, I graduated from Ga State 2014, with a 2.8 GPA and with very little outside experience or with the ability to get enough letters of recommendation (3 Tops). I have a bunch of reasons as to why this happened to me but at the moment they dont particularly matter.

I decided that if I was not going to get into medschool right away, I could at least apply to nursing school and get a "fresh Start" and then reapply after working for a while. In my opinion this was a good idea, however, I didnt realize that nursing schools are also hard to get into and I did not get accepted. (I got into chamberlain but their tuition is beyond my reach without any loans). I do not want to be a nurse, so taking a loan to cover this tuition seems like a waste as I do not plan to make it my career. While this was happening (1 year and about 6 classes or so that I retook) I got my GPA to 3.1.
This new GPA still isn't competitive enough. Especially when you compare it to a 4.0. I can't spend countless years and money just retaking classes anymore.
I know that realistically speaking, I do not have a lot of chances to get into medical school, but there must be a way to get in? I'm ok with doing the work, but I just need a path to follow.
I resumed my MCAT studies but I am going to need more than a good MCAT score to get in, I just don't know what to do at this point and need some advice.
I know there are a lot of students in my situation and they won't get in. However, Im not giving up, but I need a hand here. Surely there must be a way?

Members don't see this ad.

To make the story short, I graduated from Ga State 2014, with a 2.8 GPA and with very little outside experience or with the ability to get enough letters of recommendation (3 Tops). I have a bunch of reasons as to why this happened to me but at the moment they dont particularly matter.

I decided that if I was not going to get into medschool right away, I could at least apply to nursing school and get a "fresh Start" and then reapply after working for a while. In my opinion this was a good idea, however, I didnt realize that nursing schools are also hard to get into and I did not get accepted. (I got into chamberlain but their tuition is beyond my reach without any loans). I do not want to be a nurse, so taking a loan to cover this tuition seems like a waste as I do not plan to make it my career. While this was happening (1 year and about 6 classes or so that I retook) I got my GPA to 3.1.
This new GPA still isn't competitive enough. Especially when you compare it to a 4.0. I can't spend countless years and money just retaking classes anymore.
I know that realistically speaking, I do not have a lot of chances to get into medical school, but there must be a way to get in? I'm ok with doing the work, but I just need a path to follow.
I resumed my MCAT studies but I am going to need more than a good MCAT score to get in, I just don't know what to do at this point and need some advice.
I know there are a lot of students in my situation and they won't get in. However, Im not giving up, but I need a hand here. Surely there must be a way?

Try applying DO. How do your grades look after grade replacement? Have you even tried grade replacement or a DIY post-bacc? Perhaps you can establish a better rapport with professors during a post-bacc and get some LORs. Good job getting your gpa up to 3.1. Keep going and don't make any excuses. It's going to help significantly if you can do well on your MCAT. Work hard and make tactical decisions for your future. Scratch nursing. You've already said you don't want to be a nurse.

There are others like you out there. They're referred to, for the most part, as non-trads. Look up the multiple non-trad threads on this forum and read them.

Pro Tip: If you don't want to be a nurse, don't apply to nursing school.

Seems like your easiest route would be a post-bacc. Your choice if you want to retake all of your C/D/F grades and apply DO or knock a significant amount of upper level sciences classes out of the park and apply MD.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
PS - you need a very good MCAT score either way. It might be wise to focus on that for now, unless you don't feel like you have the scientific foundation to do so.

Try applying DO. How do your grades look after grade replacement? Have you even tried grade replacement or a DIY post-bacc? Perhaps you can establish a better rapport with professors during a post-bacc and get some LORs. Good job getting your gpa up to 3.1. Keep going and don't make any excuses. It's going to help significantly if you can do well on your MCAT. Work hard and make tactical decisions for your future. Scratch nursing. You've already said you don't want to be a nurse.

There are others like you out there. They're referred to, for the most part, as non-trads. Look up the multiple non-trad threads on this forum and read them.
Well A lot of the ones I retook improved, I got A's. However, I did get a bad grade from a core class (history) because I got hospitalized and i missed a lot of classes that semester (20% of the grade) and the teacher could only excuse some of the absences but said she couldnt help me with the missed quizzes (20%). I didnt fail, but I got a C, when my previous grade was a B.
My GPA still went up during those retakes ( not as high as I wished though).

Post Bac could be an option, however it might take a year or 2. Which in terms of medical school isnt a lot but it still a lot. I am already 23 and it feels like its taking forever.
I just wish there was something a medical school could offer that would allow me to attend their school. Like a trial period or something lol

I was also considering ROSS medical school in the Caribbean, since it seems like it might be easier to get in and I've seen lots of successful doctors here in Ga that went that route.

Pro Tip: If you don't want to be a nurse, don't apply to nursing school.

Seems like your easiest route would be a post-bacc. Your choice if you want to retake all of your C/D/F grades and apply DO or knock a significant amount of upper level sciences classes out of the park and apply MD.
I don't want to be a nurse. Apparently nursing schools don't want me to be either because its hard to get in them as well. I just really regret graduating when I did instead of just retaking some courses and then graduating when i was ready. Now it seems like there is no chance for me to get into medicine because it feels like no schools would even look at me if I apply.

Well A lot of the ones I retook improved, I got A's. However, I did get a bad grade from a core class (history) because I got hospitalized and i missed a lot of classes that semester (20% of the grade) and the teacher could only excuse some of the absences but said she couldnt help me with the missed quizzes (20%). I didnt fail, but I got a C, when my previous grade was a B.

Post Bac could be an option, however it might take a year or 2. Which in terms of medical school isnt a lot but it still a lot. I am already 23 and it feels like its taking forever.
I just wish there was something a medical school could offer that would allow me to attend their school. Like a trial period or something lol

I was also considering ROSS medical school in the Caribbean, since it seems like it might be easier to get in and I've seen lots of successful doctors here in Ga that went that route.

There are SMPs, however they require good MCAT scores and have minimum GPAs (around 3.0 I believe). Also they are kind of a big risk - mess up in an SMP and your chance of going to medical school is obliterated.

23 is not old. Average matriculation age is 25. You need to retake the grades bringing you down and go DO, or take some more upper level science classes and get A's. Get your GPA to a 3.3.... High MCAT score and have a chance at DO.

DO NOT GO TO ROSS OR ANY SCHOOL THAT IS ON AN ISLAND (UNLESS YOU ARE FROM HAWAII)

23 is not old. Average matriculation age is 25. You need to retake the grades bringing you down and go DO, or take some more upper level science classes and get A's. Get your GPA to a 3.3.... High MCAT score and have a chance at DO.

DO NOT GO TO ROSS OR ANY SCHOOL THAT IS ON AN ISLAND (UNLESS YOU ARE FROM HAWAII)
I do have some higher level classes. Do you think I should retake the courses at the school where I've been on. Or should I perhaps transfer to a different school? Right now Im still at Ga State, but maybe I could transfer to Emory University or Kennessaw State. ( I know you may not know them, I figure Id ask anyway).

I've met some successful doctors coming from ROSS or the medical school in st. Lucia. I heard that now a days they arent as bad as people make them up to be.
It just feels like at this point in time, it might be my only choice. Even retaking those courses does not guarantee me getting into medschool.

There are SMPs, however they require good MCAT scores and have minimum GPAs (around 3.0 I believe). Also they are kind of a big risk - mess up in an SMP and your chance of going to medical school is obliterated.
what is this SMP? where can I get more reliable information on what they are?

what is this SMP? where can I get more reliable information on what they are?

Special Masters Program. It is basically just what you described - you take first year medical school classes and your GPA is based on what percentile of the class you come in. If you have a 3.7+ it is clear that you were in the top of the class and med schools can be convinced that you will be able to compete at their level. Different programs have different level of linkage to medical school, with the ideal programs guaranteeing interviews to those who do well enough. Search the forums or just google to find out more. I believe Georgetown, Tulane, and Tufts have particularly reputable ones, but I haven't extensively researched these programs.

I should reiterate - these programs are a big risk. If you finish one with a low GPA, you have demonstrated that you can't compete at a medical school level and will be seriously set back from getting into one. Personally, I have opted to not consider an SMP unless I fail to get in when I apply this year (I am also a fairly low GPA candidate, though not sub-3.0 low).

your chances are very slim, but admission is possible. even so, this would require several years of effort, special master's program, etc. It sounds like you don't want to put in that effort. so just give up.

Reactions: 1 users
your chances are very slim, but admission is possible. even so, this would require several years of effort, special master's program, etc. It sounds like you don't want to put in that effort. so just give up.
where in my writting does it sound like i dont?

I do have some higher level classes. Do you think I should retake the courses at the school where I've been on. Or should I perhaps transfer to a different school? Right now Im still at Ga State, but maybe I could transfer to Emory University or Kennessaw State. ( I know you may not know them, I figure Id ask anyway).

I've met some successful doctors coming from ROSS or the medical school in st. Lucia. I heard that now a days they arent as bad as people make them up to be.
It just feels like at this point in time, it might be my only choice. Even retaking those courses does not guarantee me getting into medschool.

There is never a "guarentee" of getting into medical school. There is no easy pass it medical school.
I repeat... DO NOT GO TO CARIB SCHOOL. https://milliondollarmistake.wordpress.com/ Read this if you want some information on what to expect.

It does not matter what school you take your classes at.... probably better to stay at Ga state. RETAKE ALL CLASSES YOU GOT A C OR LOWER IN. Who cares if this take 1-2 years..... you are in this hole and there is no easy way out. After you retake classes and get to above a 3.3 on AACOMAS (They will replace your crappy grades with your new ones)... take the MCAT and apply to DO schools.

Where you complain about 1 to 2 years of post bac being too long, and that you don't want to retake classes because it doesn't "guarantee" you admission to a med school, and that you think applying now to a carib school is your only option left. Please listen to the advice people here are giving you and DO NOT go to a carib school. The people telling you that it's a decent option are very misinformed and if anything, they're actually much worse than a lot of people make them out to be. If you go to a carib school, there is a very high chance you will end up in a worse place than if you hadn't tried for med school at all.

Your best option right now is to get yourself to a place where you can apply to DO schools. There's really no getting around the fact that you need to do something about your GPA. You also say you have very little outside experience, so I'm assuming you also still need to build up a lot of extracurricular/volunteering/shadowing/research/clinical hours. In addition to studying for and doing well on the MCAT, all of that would take, in my opinion, AT LEAST two years of hard work.

If you really want to be a doctor, at this point this is really the only realistic path. It kind of seems like you're hoping for someone to pop in here and give you some magical shortcut or loophole into med school, but that just doesn't exist.

Reactions: 1 user
Where you complain about 1 to 2 years of post bac being too long, and that you don't want to retake classes because it doesn't "guarantee" you admission to a med school, and that you think applying now to a carib school is your only option left. Please listen to the advice people here are giving you and DO NOT go to a carib school. The people telling you that it's a decent option are very misinformed and if anything, they're actually much worse than a lot of people make them out to be. If you go to a carib school, there is a very high chance you will end up in a worse place than if you hadn't tried for med school at all.

Your best option right now is to get yourself to a place where you can apply to DO schools. There's really no getting around the fact that you need to do something about your GPA. You also say you have very little outside experience, so I'm assuming you also still need to build up a lot of extracurricular/volunteering/shadowing/research/clinical hours. In addition to studying for and doing well on the MCAT, all of that would take, in my opinion, AT LEAST two years of hard work.

If you really want to be a doctor, at this point this is really the only realistic path. It kind of seems like you're hoping for someone to pop in here and give you some magical shortcut or loophole into med school, but that just doesn't exist.

You misread, it isn't that I'm complaining that it's going to take long. (well, maybe a little) but it's mostly that its frustrating that I could not do better beforehand. It's hard seeing your goals get further and further away from you. That doesnt mean I want to stop running for them.

I am not looking for a loophole, I am looking for a solution. It doesnt matter if the solution requires hard work. I just needed to perhaps hear from someone who was in the same, or similar position that I am today and was able to get out of the hole and reach their goals. I want to know what they did, so that I can perhaps follow the same steps. Learn from my mistakes you know?

I know, and I've definitely heard that Caribbean Schools have a bad reputation, but it's just hard to believe that a school who is accredited by the US, that continuously accepts and graduates students can be that bad. Especially when there are success stories out there. (my roommate is a Tech that works with an attending that graduated from Ross and got a residency at Duke).

Ofcourse I am listening to you guys advice. I haven't sent my application yet lol. However, I think it would be unwise to completely forget about those schools when they are there.
As long as I can practice medicine in the US. I dont mind which school I attend to because Medicine is the same wherever they teach it to you, its just up to me to learn it, and learn it well.

Right now my main concern is to study for the MCAT. However, I am battling on 3 options and I am not sure what the best one is.
1- To do Post bacc and retake all the classes I had B or lower (that are affecting my GPA the most).
2- Take a masters Degree in a college that offers a medical program so that I can meet more staff and get LOR from the institution I am trying to attend. -this option looks the most enticing to me-
3- After taking MCAT apply to ROSS and blow it away so that I can get a good spot and practice in the US.

if there are more options please let me know. I know all of these take hard work. I am not afraid of it. I know they will take time. While this upsets me a little, I have no choice and I will do the work. I need a plan, and thats why I am asking for someone who might have been there to speak from experience and tell me what they did so that I can learn from them.

The advice above is very solid advice. You're going to be best off simply taking undergrad classes you got lower than a B in and using the grade replacement DO schools offer. How are you scoring on your MCAT practice testes? Ideally, if you can get your gpa up to around a 3.3 with grade replacement and can get a 505+ on the MCAT you'll likely have success with an early/broad application. Listen to the other comments and do not go to the Caribbean if you're wanting to practice in the U.S. It's worth the time/money to work hard and get into a DO school. Good luck!

It's more like a question of where to even start. You're justifying the Caribbean as still being a good option because you know of a person connected to a Ross student who got a residency, therefore Ross is a good option for you. Yet you know nothing about this person directly, you don't know his Step 1 score, personal life story, or if his parents are very influential doctors within a hospital program that got him a residency by flexing some muscles to make room for him.

You applied to nursing programs and you even applied to Chamberlain (a DeVry subsidiary program). You stated that the fact that you got rejected for a BSN/ABSN/MSN program is an indicator that apparently you were a bad match for nursing because they rejected you. Those programs are not intended for someone trying to throw a Hail Mary pass and hopes it lands in a nursing program because medical school clearly didn't work out for you. I don't even know how you wrote a PS for those schools based on how you typed your explanation here.

You performed grade replacement, however you still couldn't do that properly. You had to stop your MCAT studying and now you're resuming it. Based on your track record how can you expect to blow it out of the water when you go to a Caribbean school. Do you really think that Ross is going to be tiki huts, jamba juice parties, and tropical seas? In addition, if you really feel remorse over being 23 already and not being able to transition onwards then why haven't you been speaking to physicians or admission counselors who could orient you towards ideas like SMP programs which are known by a large amount of serious pre-meds on this site as a source of grade replacement?

s6xpB7V.jpg