Bailey's 3rd edition (2001)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HEENTdude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I buy the 3rd edition for cheap (<100 dollars) or just spend the money and buy the newest edition (4th)? The 3rd edition is 2001?

I know usually there aren't that many differences between editions but seeing as how this will be my reference for the coming years, I want to make sure what I'm learning and applying to my patients is sound medical knowledge.

Members don't see this ad.

Get Cummings.

Buy the latest edition.

Yes to getting the latest edition.

I would advise to get whichever text is used by your program in didactics.

Members don't see this ad :)
But really, a text from 2001 will be based off research from the 1990s. I feel like a lot happened in the 2000s.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SDN Mobile

But really, a text from 2001 will be based off research from the 1990s. I feel like a lot happened in the 2000s.

Having completely redone my senior partner's chapter in Bailey's, I can tell you that the last 3 versions were exactly the same. This has happened with more than him. Therefore, I can assure you that many of the chapters are probably unaltered from version to version. Having said that, the latest version probably has better pictures.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Having completely redone my senior partner's chapter in Bailey's, I can tell you that the last 3 versions were exactly the same. This has happened with more than him. Therefore, I can assure you that many of the chapters are probably unaltered from version to version. Having said that, the latest version probably has better pictures.

Sent via Tapatalk.

The editors look at which chapters need updating based on what new data is out there. Textbooks are always 3-4 yrs behind the times, anyway. But if you want to be able to get information on the scope of relevant topics as of ~ 2010, I'd get the new version.

Our program gave us the fourth ed., and I used it a lot throughout residency. Looking back I think it would have been a good buy.