Balance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeekerOfTheTree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is something I have been struggling with. How am I supposed to balance being a good doc, father, husband, and not turn into a blob from lack of physical activity. I feel like I miss things because I need to read more. When I read more I have less time with the kids. When I spend time with kids I have no time for myself. At times I am like maybe having been single would have been much easier. Urggh. Sometimes I want to check myself in to the ER in a blue gown. Anyone else go through this. I want to take my head and just hit it against a wall sometimes to feel better.

Members don't see this ad.

So this is something I have been struggling with. How am I supposed to balance being a good doc, father, husband, and not turn into a blob from lack of physical activity. I feel like I miss things because I need to read more. When I read more I have less time with the kids. When I spend time with kids I have no time for myself. At times I am like maybe having been single would have been much easier. Urggh. Sometimes I want to check myself in to the ER in a blue gown. Anyone else go through this. I want to take my head and just hit it against a wall sometimes to feel better.

Family, work, play.

Pick 2, to excel at and you've got a shot at a pretty good life. One has got to give. Try to excel at all three, and you'll fail at all three. You can't "Have it all." That only exists on Oprah, mommy blogs and feminist manifestos.

Sometimes I want to check myself in to the ER in a blue gown...I want to take my head and just hit it against a wall sometimes to feel better.

Don't do this. You'll just be boarded on psych hold in the ED hallway for three weeks, and be forced to beg your fellow residents for a turkey sando with graham crackers and apple juice q shift. Highly overrated coping mechanism, and won't look good on residency apps.

Last edited:
I dunno Birdstrike, seems like he's saying 'Family, Work, Self' and its really hard to sacrifice any of those without repercussions. Wish I could add more, but Im trying to figure out my own sense of balance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno Birdstrike, seems like he's saying 'Family, Work, Self' and its really hard to sacrifice any of those without repercussions. Wish I could add more, but Im trying to figure out my own sense of balance.

This is why most people get a little soft and out of shape focusing on work and family until the kids can wipe their own butts and thread a juice box straw through a 4 mm hole on their own, then hit the 40 and over half-marathon circuit. It's actually not so bad.

A different times in your life and career, you will have various priorities.
Family is very important, but overall time will likely need to decrease during your medical training.
I've tried to make spending time with my wife more of a priority. This means I've had much less time to do some things on my own.

Learning has to be a big priority in your training. If this means less working out or whatever, so be it.
You only get one chance at med school/residency.

Be kind to yourself.

Most likely, nobody is expecting you to be perfect except you. Not trying to be harsh -- I fall into this trap all the time.

As a fellow intern I can guarantee you that you're not the only one "missing things."

Try your best to learn our craft, do things to make yourself and the people you care about happy, and give yourself a break.

Don't do this. You'll just be boarded on psych hold in the ED hallway for three weeks, and be forced to beg your fellow residents for a turkey sando with graham crackers and apple juice q shift. Highly overrated coping mechanism, and won't look good on residency apps.

I am now audibly giggling to myself and receiving more than a few strange looks from the people around me.

This is why most people get a little soft and out of shape focusing on work and family until the kids can wipe their own butts and thread a juice box straw through a 4 mm hole on their own, then hit the 40 and over half-marathon circuit. It's actually not so bad.

Dude, are you spying on me?

Its easy to have a balanced life as an ED doc. We have 3 kids under 6 and my wife stays at home. She takes care of the cooking, cleaning, shopping, taking care of the house, taking kids where they need to go. This is her Job

I work so when I get home, I play with the kids. When I need to do work, she takes the kids away. I work out 3 times a week and she cares for the kids. When I go out with friends or take "men" only trips, she takes care of the kids. We have agreed that because I work, I get 4 hrs of "My time" every day. So I have 4 hrs a day to do whatever I need to do.

It works out well. Its really not hard to have a career, family time, wife time as an ED doc as most don't work more than 30 hrs a week.

In all seriousness, When I interviewed for medical school, the faculty asked me. "As a doctor, how can you be the best father, doctor, husband". I gave the typical crappy answer and he said, "You CAN'T. Pick one bc no one can be the best of all three.

For me, Its father then Husband, Then doctor. If I had to choose bt being at a kid function vs doing an extra shift, then the extra shift loses out. I don't think I have voluntarily picked up another shift = 2k, for 10 yrs. Its just not worth it.

I rather be 75 and we known as a great dad/husband than a great ER doctor. That is why I went into ER. I think that is why most go into ER. I know of surgeons who wanted to be well known. I never hear an ER doc tell me that they want to be a well known ER doc.

Its easy to have a balanced life as an ED doc. We have 3 kids under 6 and my wife stays at home. She takes care of the cooking, cleaning, shopping, taking care of the house, taking kids where they need to go. This is her Job

I work so when I get home, I play with the kids. When I need to do work, she takes the kids away. I work out 3 times a week and she cares for the kids. When I go out with friends or take "men" only trips, she takes care of the kids. We have agreed that because I work, I get 4 hrs of "My time" every day. So I have 4 hrs a day to do whatever I need to do.

It works out well. Its really not hard to have a career, family time, wife time as an ED doc as most don't work more than 30 hrs a week.

Does she get 4 hours worth of "her time" every day?

Honestly, the more you post the more your life as an EM doc diverges from that of pretty much every EM doc I've met. Not trying to be a buzzkill, just saying

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

This sounds like Nirvana... or Eden... or Heaven, lol! You are a lucky, lucky man

Are you a medical student, resident, or attending? As a med student or resident, your life is going to be pretty unbalanced. It's the nature of medical training. Just do the best you can - it will probably be good enough. When you're done with training, your life can be much better balanced. Live somewhere cheap, don't buy too much house, car, or private school. Work as much or as little as you want. EM can be pretty manageable and a good lifestyle if you don't get in over your head.

A couple of quick ideas:
Schedule workouts for yourself and put them on your schedule - treat them like you would an important meeting.
Get a fitbit
Do something active that you enjoy - whatever that is
Work out in group classes or with other people - it's harder to skip if people are expecting you.
Lastly - clean up nutrition - no amount of working out can compensate for a terrible diet. Which is easier - skipping ice cream or doing 90 minutes of cardio?

Lastly - clean up nutrition - no amount of working out can compensate for a terrible diet. Which is easier - skipping ice cream or doing 90 minutes of cardio?

So true. Training for an ironman and I've lost a whopping 1 pound in two months in spite of burning about 45,000 calories. It's way too easy to out-eat your exercise.

I fully agree with picking a few things and really focusing. We tend to spread ourselves too thin and be lackluster on all fronts. I decided this year would be a family, race and then work year. Music, wood working, gardening are all going on a back-burner. Even the basic house maintenance stuff is either going on hold or getting someone in to help do it because I can't make 'em all fly with only 24 hours in a day.

Also, in contrast to emergentmd, my wife and I split work/family duties pretty evenly which is sometimes tough. The upside is we both work less than a lot of our peers, but childcare is no walk in the park. Long days with the kids are like long, hard days in the pit. Good days are great, and bad days are awful. Still, I want to see them when they want me to see them. In ten years, when I'm a white sock/white sneakers/high-riding shorts with a button down short sleeve kind of dorky dad who they want to avoid, I may pick up some extra shifts or resume other hobbies in earnest, but until then family is king.

Good luck. You'll find a balance that works for you. Or, a padded room that you can write your lamentations on the wall in your own poop. One of the two.

Thanks guys. I am a resident so hard to control my life right now. The stress at work gets to me. I can't fall asleep when I get home. Keep thinking about all the cases through my mind hoping I didn't mess up. I even dream I am at work.

Seeker,

As an ED doc, you can't have that mindset if you want to survive. You have to have short term memory and not worry about what could happen. That is what internal medicine is for.

ED docs have to go with their gut, do what they think is right, and make a quick decision. If a bad outcome happens, I dont beat myself up when I made the correct decision with the knowledge I had.

ED docs can't Monday Morning QB

Seeker,

As an ED doc, you can't have that mindset if you want to survive. You have to have short term memory and not worry about what could happen. That is what internal medicine is for.

ED docs have to go with their gut, do what they think is right, and make a quick decision. If a bad outcome happens, I dont beat myself up when I made the correct decision with the knowledge I had.

ED docs can't Monday Morning QB

Isn't a moderate amount of self Monday AM QB a good thing early in the career to help guide training/development as an EM doc?

One case that eats me up is the equivalent if an ankle sprain that comes back five days later with osteomyelitis. No risk factors to predict development of this. Leaves me thinking maybe I should have done something different. This isn't exactly the case I had but it parallels it. No m&m out of it but I let misses get to me and then my personal life takes a dump.

One case that eats me up is the equivalent if an ankle sprain that comes back five days later with osteomyelitis. No risk factors to predict development of this. Leaves me thinking maybe I should have done something different. This isn't exactly the case I had but it parallels it. No m&m out of it but I let misses get to me and then my personal life takes a dump.
Unless you test everyone for everything, you're going to miss stuff. The system can't handle that, so you have to be comfortable with an acceptable miss rate. No, you shouldn't miss the obvious, but the subtle stuff that nobody else would catch shouldn't eat you up.
Don't believe the lawyers or internet commentators on medical articles. Believe your colleagues when they tell you they would have missed it too.
Also, that's what followup is for.

Unless you test everyone for everything, you're going to miss stuff. The system can't handle that, so you have to be comfortable with an acceptable miss rate. No, you shouldn't miss the obvious, but the subtle stuff that nobody else would catch shouldn't eat you up.
Don't believe the lawyers or internet commentators on medical articles. Believe your colleagues when they tell you they would have missed it too.
Also, that's what followup is for.
This brings up an interesting topic: what are the diagnoses where most EM physicians really strive for a 0% miss rate?

You Save As A Team, You Miss As A Team

If so, this is where I am going to grab you by the collar, and violently shake you and say, "No. No. No. No. No." I'm going to answer this assuming you are a medical student, but this applies to interns and residents, too. You are learning. Cases will and should ring in your head for a while, especially one's you wish you could do over. This serves a purpose by burning them into your brain so you learn from them. We all have such cases, and it's normal to be bothered by them, if you are human. Take comfort in that they will be less frequent as you get along in your training and the years.

But when you say this, "I let misses get to me and then my personal life takes a dump," it truly is time to channel the defensive inner-redneck recessive gene that is (hopefully) rarely expressed, and fight back. It’s time to stop beating yourself up on this and get angry. Where the hell is your attending on this? None of your supervising doctors are going to tell you this, because they want to foster responsibility in you, and they want you to care and learn from mistakes, as you should. But whose mistakes? Their frickin' mistakes. Yes, their mistakes. ("What the heck do you mean, Dr. Bird, it was my mistake?") Read this now, and never forget it as long as you are a medical student, resident OR attending:

You save as a team, AND YOU MISS as a team.

("What the heck are you talking about Birdstrike, you are talking in riddles?") Remember, all those times people treated you like as a med student you didn't matter, or as a resident, implying you weren't a "real doctor" yet? You're not a "real doctor," you don't get a "real doctor" paycheck, and don't get "real doctor" respect, yet where there's a miss, you're supposed to jump off a bridge over it?

Nuh-uh.

It's your attending's job to do one of two things: 1-Either teach you and lead you to make the correct diagnosis and treatment, or 2-Give you appropriate autonomy yet adequately supervise you so that appropriate care is provided. There's no in between, or third option. Ultimately he (or she) is responsible.

So, that's why every single damn chart you sign, as a medical student, resident or fellow, needs to say, "Case discussed with Dr Blankety Blank," or some other disclaimer of your choice indicating supervision, shared liability and responsibility. That can be someone, anyone, above you in the chain of command. Every chart. Every chart. Every chart. It's their responsibility to help you make the right call, and ensure the outcomes are as good as if they were working alone. If they weren't around to supervise you, then that's their fault, too. It's their job to do so. Now I'm not telling you not to care, or just throw up your hands and blame a supervisor for any inadequacies you might have. I'm not telling you that you shouldn't take responsibility and view cases and patients as "your own," because you should.

But never forget: the attending makes the big bucks for a reason. You're just a trainee for a reason. And attendings know this, even though they’re going to make you present the M&M as if you were the only doctor in the hospital when the case unfolded. Rather than being offended every time someone says or implies you're “not a "real doctor yet,” take comfort in the fact that your attending owns the mistakes FIRST, and you second. They know damn well that if there's a screw up on a patient, and it goes to court, they have zero, ZERO, leg to stand on by saying, "It's the med student's fault," or "It's the resident's fault." So if you miss something, and your attending saw the patient, and you discussed it. It's his screw up, too. (Sure as heck, don't say that too his face, though.) And if he (or she) didn't see the patient, that's just as much on them, as inadequate supervision. So, learn from your cases (good and bad.) Take responsibility for them as if they are your own. But also, remind yourself, and take comfort in the fact that as much as they want you to believe otherwise, the buck stops somewhere else (for a while.) Don’t torture yourself.

You save as a team, you miss as a team.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
You Save As A Team, You Miss As A Team

If so, this is where I am going to grab you by the collar, and violently shake you and say, "No. No. No. No. No." I'm going to answer this assuming you are a medical student, but this applies to interns and residents, too. You are learning. Cases will and should ring in your head for a while, especially one's you wish you could do over. This serves a purpose by burning them into your brain so you learn from them. We all have such cases, and it's normal to be bothered by them, if you are human. Take comfort in that they will be less frequent as you get along in your training and the years.

But when you say this, "I let misses get to me and then my personal life takes a dump," it truly is time to channel the defensive inner-redneck recessive gene that is (hopefully) rarely expressed, and fight back. It’s time to stop beating yourself up on this and get angry. Where the hell is your attending on this? None of your supervising doctors are going to tell you this, because they want to foster responsibility in you, and they want you to care and learn from mistakes, as you should. But whose mistakes? Their frickin' mistakes. Yes, their mistakes. ("What the heck do you mean, Dr. Bird, it was my mistake?") Read this now, and never forget it as long as you are a medical student, resident OR attending:

You save as a team, AND YOU MISS as a team.

("What the heck are you talking about Birdstrike, you are talking in riddles?") Remember, all those times people treated you like as a med student you didn't matter, or as a resident, implying you weren't a "real doctor" yet? You're not a "real doctor," you don't get a "real doctor" paycheck, and don't get "real doctor" respect, yet where there's a miss, you're supposed to jump off a bridge over it?

Nuh-uh.

It's your attending's job to do one of two things: 1-Either teach you and lead you to make the correct diagnosis and treatment, or 2-Give you appropriate autonomy yet adequately supervise you so that appropriate care is provided. There's no in between, or third option. Ultimately he (or she) is responsible.

So, that's why every single damn chart you sign, as a medical student, resident or fellow, needs to say, "Case discussed with Dr Blankety Blank," or some other disclaimer of your choice indicating supervision, shared liability and responsibility. That can be someone, anyone, above you in the chain of command. Every chart. Every chart. Every chart. It's their responsibility to help you make the right call, and ensure the outcomes are as good as if they were working alone. If they weren't around to supervise you, then that's their fault, too. It's their job to do so. Now I'm not telling you not to care, or just throw up your hands and blame a supervisor for any inadequacies you might have. I'm not telling you that you shouldn't take responsibility and view cases and patients as "your own," because you should.

But never forget: the attending makes the big bucks for a reason. You're just a trainee for a reason. And attendings know this, even though they’re going to make you present the M&M as if you were the only doctor in the hospital when the case unfolded. Rather than being offended every time someone says or implies you're “not a "real doctor yet,” take comfort in the fact that your attending owns the mistakes FIRST, and you second. They know damn well that if there's a screw up on a patient, and it goes to court, they have zero, ZERO, leg to stand on by saying, "It's the med student's fault," or "It's the resident's fault." So if you miss something, and your attending saw the patient, and you discussed it. It's his screw up, too. (Sure as heck, don't say that too his face, though.) And if he (or she) didn't see the patient, that's just as much on them, as inadequate supervision. So, learn from your cases (good and bad.) Take responsibility for them as if they are your own. But also, remind yourself, and take comfort in the fact that as much as they want you to believe otherwise, the buck stops somewhere else (for a while.) Don’t torture yourself.

Thanks man. This post is epic. I really appreciate it.

Remember, all those times people treated you like as a med student you didn't matter, or as a resident, implying you weren't a "real doctor" yet? You're not a "real doctor," you don't get a "real doctor" paycheck, and don't get "real doctor" respect, yet where there's a miss, you're supposed to jump off a bridge over it?

You're just a trainee for a reason. And attendings know this, even though they’re going to make you present the M&M as if you were the only doctor in the hospital when the case unfolded. Rather than being offended every time someone says or implies you're “not a "real doctor yet,” take comfort in the fact that your attending owns the mistakes FIRST, and you second.

Don’t torture yourself.

Point very well taken like usual, Uncle Birdstrike. Somewhat unrelated: does that bit about some people looking down on residents get even a little bit better once we're past intern year / did it for you?

Point very well taken like usual, Uncle Birdstrike. Somewhat unrelated: does that bit about some people looking down on residents get even a little bit better once we're past intern year / did it for you?

Absolutely, yes. But even as an attending for awhile you'll get some old folks that think you're too young until you've got gray, or receding, hair.

My point is: Embrace it. There are advantages to being the co-pilot for awhile.