Balancing interviews and class problem =(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bozz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only need lab classes and "seminar/discussion" classes to graduate by the summer of 2009.

I am currently taking 12 credits, but I have been forced to drop a discussion-based class due to interview invitations. (I will already be missing around 6 days of school/3 discussion classes in the month of September alone). My professor said that it was impossible to work with that.

Assuming I'm fortunate enough to get more interviews, this is a BIG problem in terms of being able to take the necessary classes. I've saved my lab classes for next semester since there's no way I can miss lab. But now, I'm down to 9 credits and don't know what to do. Take a random class just to get 12 credits and cram my last semester with the discussion-based class?

Ahh. I can't believe professors are not being understanding. What did everyone else do?

Members don't see this ad.

I only need lab classes and "seminar/discussion" classes to graduate by the summer of 2009.

I am currently taking 12 credits, but I have been forced to drop a discussion-based class due to interview invitations. (I will already be missing around 6 days of school/3 discussion classes in the month of September alone). My professor said that it was impossible to work with that.

Assuming I'm fortunate enough to get more interviews, this is a BIG problem in terms of being able to take the necessary classes. I've saved my lab classes for next semester since there's no way I can miss lab. But now, I'm down to 9 credits and don't know what to do. Take a random class just to get 12 credits and cram my last semester with the discussion-based class?

Ahh. I can't believe professors are not being understanding. What did everyone else do?

Do any of the lab courses have their labs in the middle of the week, like Wednesday? That way, you can get to interviews at the beginning or the end of the week without missing lab.

...unless all your interviews are really far away.

i am taking a lab class that is technically 2x a week but we dont necessariyl always have to be there. i told the lab prof in advance. thankfully we only need about 60% of the available lab days so i let her know. she said we can work around my schedule. so i will be trying to schedule my intervies on mon and weds instead of lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
If a prof is reasonable, they will let you switch lab periods for something like an interview. If you already have 6 interviews, once you get an acceptance, perhaps you can be more selective and opt not to go to school X interview because you are already in school Y that you like better.

Thanks guys. I decided to switch to a lab course, and I'll only be missing one. But I'm going to talk to the prof. to see how I can make it up. I'll just be careful with scheduling interviews from now on.

Take an online course.

One way to do it.

I'm sorry your profs weren't understanding; mine were pretty excited for me...but I'm in a pretty small department, so teachers tend to be encouraging of their students.

I have a similar problem also. I cannot take a language class, because missing class because of interviews will destroy your grade. :scared: I wanted to learn french...:(:(

I have a similar problem also. I cannot take a language class, because missing class because of interviews will destroy your grade. :scared: I wanted to learn french...:(:(

I wanted to start intro Spanish classes but they're 5 days a week and not terribly conducive to a great interviewing schedule.

I hear you man.. I'm 1 class from finishing my French minor. I might not even be able to do it lol.

looks like we have the same interview date on 9/5. Maybe I'll see you there haha