Baltimore Prelim

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DCMDtobe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone offer any insight into the following prelim programs in Baltimore. I'm basically interested in how happy the interns are.

-Franklin Square
-Good Samaritan
-Greater Baltimore Medical Center
-Harbor Hospital
-Union Memorial
-U Maryland Mercy

Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I went to school in Maryland and thus have a few friends doing prelim med years there.

GBMC - fairly nice although this year two of the interns didn't get their VISAs so they are short = more call, unhappier residents. It's probably just a fluke. The hospital is real nice though and the patients are more middle-upper class. q4overnight.

Mercy - good friend there who likes it. Says he works around 60-65 hours per week. You are in the inner city so you deal with LOTS of social issues but, come on no matter where you are, you deal with social issues. The issues are just a little different in the city. night float system. You get free food all the time. You get $5 for breakfast, lunch and dinner (doesn't carry over but, is more then enough for each meal). You wouldn't believe how great this actuallly is.

Franklin Square - real big on education and most of the residents were happy. This was my number one if I was going to do a prelim med (although, I didn't). The program director is really concerned with resident happiness and education and it shows. Daily noon conferences (with food) and morning report. I did my third year medicine there and all the residents were really close and look out for each other.

These are the only hospitals I know about of have friends at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much. That's a huge help.

Anyone else willing to take 60 seconds to post some info?

have rotated through some of these as a student at Md. My sense was that the interns at Mercy work hard but seem fairly happy. Well-regarded program. Union is a little lower on the totem pole and more foreign grads. I've been told that Harbor and Good Sam are both very weak programs.

These posts are really helpful guys. Thanks.

I'm interviewing at Franklin Square and Union later this month. I'd love to get some more info from the silent SDN lurkers. If you're reading this and can contribute PLEASE DO SO!

G'luck.

I'm interviewing at Franklin Square... Any input would be much appreciated :)

Bump.
Does anyone have any updates on these programs. I know Union and Good Sam merged together. What about Franklin Square, GBMC, Sinai, Harbor, Mercy?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!