bankruptcy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asdasd12345

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i filed bankruptcy a few years ago. will this affect my ability to get financial aid for med school? also i recently applied for my greencard in october 2003, does anyone have any clue whatsoever of how long it will take to get the greencard, because i cannot even apply to med school until i have the greencard in my possesion.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you will have trouble getting financial aid. I'd reccomend speaking with a finacial aid counselor to see if there is anything that you can do after you get accepted to a school. If you are not a citizen, some of the private ones may require you to prove that you have enough money for 4 yrs of tuition and fees put into an account before they even let you enroll.

does anyone else concur wit this?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by asdasd12345
does anyone else concur wit this?

You will have no problem getting federal aid a la stafford loans. However, those loans max out at $38,500 so unless you're lucky enough to get a scholarship or get into a state school, most likely you will need outside aid. That is where you'll run into trouble. So I partially concur.

As exmike said a bankruptcy will affect your ability to get private funding, but not the federal funding. However, I'm not sure what the requirements are for non-citizens for federal funding so definitely sit down with financial aid counselors. While a bankruptcy will affect your ability it may not completely preclude you from private loans, but you will most likely have either a higher interest rate or need a qualified co-signer. If possible you are probably better off waiting until the bankruptcy is off your credit record before you apply to med school. Bankruptcy's stay on your credit for I believe 7 years (or 10 if it was a business bankruptcy). If it's already been a few years you may not have to delay things that long...also some private loans only look as far back as 3 years for creditworthiness so you may be ok now but it'll take some research to find those options.

Good luck!