Barry Biomedical Sciences Program admissions 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prospectdentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone Im a current student, let me know if you had any questions. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This Friday Barry University program director will will present a first session on how to write YOUR personal statement. This is open to anyone preparing for the upcoming medical, dental, etc. application cycle.

Do you happen to have any information about the application process? I'm not sure if you remember, but it seems to be pretty vague in terms of direction. How are we supposed to send official MCAT scores (through AAMC electronically or send a verification score report)?Also, are official transcripts required? Or can we send unofficial until we are accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! I am a current student there and its super easy to apply. There is an online application to fill out and this is where you submit the $30 fee. All of the school based documents and test scores- I had them send directly to the address for the Health Sciences Admissions department. The other documents (personal statement, LOR, etc), I packaged it together and sent it via USPS to the school with the same address. I posted the link to the application process below. It is an extremely easy process, if you have any more questions, I definitely can help!!!

https://www.barry.edu/biomedical-sciences/admissions/admission-application-process.html

I got in last week! Still waiting on a few replies but this was my first. Excited!

Reactions: 1 users
It's very good! I learned more in this program than my entire undergraduate career. I like that they teach you the same things you will be learning in professional school. It's also great when you have students that are in the same boat as you and you can work together and have that support. Good Luck!!! Congrats on the acceptance!!

Going for Med. How do you like the dentistry program??
Dental program is fantastic. We were able to take course such as anatomy, physiology, histology, biochemistry, pharmacology etc, which in a way are D1 courses as well. The program helped me to develop good study habits and learn how to handle heavy course load. When I applied I had a 4.0 GPA and my DAT score was really good so I got interviews and finally accepted. Almost all of my friends who really worked hard got accepted to. Are you from Florida ?

I am. I actually live by the main campus

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I have a sorority sister of mine that is currently in the medical program and she's been singing its praises lol. After hearing it from her, I did some research on my own and I knew I had to apply.

I have a sorority sister of mine that is currently in the medical program and she's been singing its praises lol. After hearing it from her, I did some research on my own and I knew I had to apply.

That is perfect!!! Have you visited the Hollywood campus yet? That's where we all are lol ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! It's small but quaint and very close to the downtown Hollywood. If you ever get a chance to go, Pamela gives great tours and introduced to me to current students (and that's when I was just dropping off my application lol).

Yes! It's small but quaint and very close to the downtown Hollywood. If you ever get a chance to go, Pamela gives great tours and introduced to me to current students (and that's when I was just dropping off my application lol).

AHH that's so exciting!! Yes Pamela is amazing!!!! did yo get to chose your classes yet ? or it is still kinda early ?

Do you happen to have any information about the application process? I'm not sure if you remember, but it seems to be pretty vague in terms of direction. How are we supposed to send official MCAT scores (through AAMC electronically or send a verification score report)?Also, are official transcripts required? Or can we send unofficial until we are accepted?
you can Fax or email MCAT results retrieved from the website https://services.aamc.org/mcatthx/ which will include a verification code. Once verified your score will be considered official. You will need to type in your username and password. Once you obtain your scores, you can cut and paste it into an email to [email protected].”
Official transcripts will be required, but yes they can make admission decisions based on unofficial copies and make it an admission provision to provide the official transcript.

When do applicants typically gain acceptance into this program after submitting?

When do applicants typically gain acceptance into this program after submitting?
The first step is that an application has to be completed (all documents received) in the admissions office. Once it’s completed,. It normally takes about 10 business days to review the file, make a decision, and return it to the admissions office who notifies students of the decision. generally weeks once all documentation has been received.

Is there a UCF MBS thread yet?

@prospectdentist

I forgot to reply to your post. I think it's too early now, they didn't mention anything in the admissions letter

How much is the cost of program ? is there financial aid available ?

How much is the cost of program ? is there financial aid available ?
Every unit costs $990 as of last semester at least that's how much I paid. Yes absolutely financial aid is available and you will also get cost of attendance which is around $21000 a year.

its actually a very affordable masters. Its $990 per credit hour, so if for example you have anatomy (6 credits) and biochemistry (3 credits) your first semester you'll have $8910 for your first semester.

I also heard there is a comprehensive exam what is that all about?

I also heard there is a comprehensive exam what is that all about?
Comprehensive exam or used to be called exit exam is composed of 6 different courses you have already studied. The idea is to make sure you have gained enough knowledge of these basic courses. however you only need 70 % above to pass.

Comprehensive exam or used to be called exit exam is composed of 6 different courses you have already studied. The idea is to make sure you have gained enough knowledge of these basic courses. however you only need 70 % above to pass.
So there is no thesis or research in order to graduate with a master's degree?

So there is no thesis or research in order to graduate with a master's degree?
however there are lots of research opportunities available for example I am involved in one of them with the program director, but you are not required to have one in order to graduate, many pre dental or pre med students chose to do it because it will help their application when they are applying many schools look into a research as a very strong element, and even if the research is publish that is a lot of time almost a guarantee to get an interview.

It's very good! I learned more in this program than my entire undergraduate career. I like that they teach you the same things you will be learning in professional school. It's also great when you have students that are in the same boat as you and you can work together and have that support. Good Luck!!! Congrats on the acceptance!!
what is gonna happen for those people who fail the comp exam the first time ?

Is Hollywood a safe area to live ?
I lived in Hollywood about 2 year while attending Barry, I never faced any issues I lived about 15 minutes away from Barry but that is as far as I know for the area I lived, of course there are always good or better or worst places to live in every city but I guess it is always good to look around and have some basic knowledge of any particular area before deciding to live there for a long time.

I lived in Hollywood about 2 year while attending Barry, I never faced any issues I lived about 15 minutes away from Barry but that is as far as I know for the area I lived, of course there are always good or better or worst places to live in every city but I guess it is always good to look around and have some basic knowledge of any particular area before deciding to live there for a long time.
I know this is a far question but by any chance you might have any contact info for a realtor?

What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?

Anyone got acceptance to Barry ? they just announced another 35 today!

Anyone got acceptance to Barry ? they just announced another 35 today!

Hey, I got accepted into the med. masters program at Barry. I am not 100% sure if Barry is for me but I am open to it. I have been accepted to other masters school so I am having a tough time deciding. Typically, for a pre-med in this program, when do they take their MCAT since they will be full-time students from fall-summer? Also, how many people are in a class? What is the success rate? Do many of the students who come in end up getting into med/dent schools? Thanks!

Hey everyone!
Does anyone know any good places to look for apartments to rent? It shows that the housing availability is very limited? I'm trying to check craigslist but there isn't much there, and the other sites I've been stumbling upon are $1000 and over which is out of my budget.
And does anyone know what the area around the building in which we'll be taking classes is like? Is it a good area? Thank you guys!

Hey everyone!
Does anyone know any good places to look for apartments to rent? It shows that the housing availability is very limited? I'm trying to check craigslist but there isn't much there, and the other sites I've been stumbling upon are $1000 and over which is out of my budget.
And does anyone know what the area around the building in which we'll be taking classes is like? Is it a good area? Thank you guys!
Emerald places was nice in Hollywood

Good Afternoon Everyone,

My name is Mike, I will be moving down to Hollywood in a couple of weeks for the BMS program at Barry. Was wondering if there are any BMS students out there still looking for an apartment or are in need of a roommate.