Barry masters in biomedical science fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lnguyen11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else been accept for the 1 year track this upcoming fall?

Members don't see this ad.

Did not attend the program..but I heard its a very good one and that many have had quite a bit of success with it! Make sure you try to get the degree out of it!

I haven't applied as of yet, but I plan to. I hear it is a very good program, and I'm already in florida (Naples) so 2 hours across state would be a good transition for me.

How do you plan on paying for the program? As far as I understand, they do not offer any scholarships...I paid for about half my undergrad by my scholarships. Also, my dad makes too much money for us to qualify for any federal aid. Since I'm still technically his dependent, would I have to take out all private loans in addition to my personal fafsa to cover the expense?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't applied as of yet, but I plan to. I hear it is a very good program, and I'm already in florida (Naples) so 2 hours across state would be a good transition for me.

How do you plan on paying for the program? As far as I understand, they do not offer any scholarships...I paid for about half my undergrad by my scholarships. Also, my dad makes too much money for us to qualify for any federal aid. Since I'm still technically his dependent, would I have to take out all private loans in addition to my personal fafsa to cover the expense?

I am also probably going to pull out loans to pay for this. I will be relocating from Texas so I hope it will cover a good amount.

Hey guys I was just recently accepted into the 1 year track program for fall 2013 (dental). I am looking for other students that will be attending the program, study buddies, and/or old materials to help prepare for the upcoming semesters. Congrats everyone! Cant wait to start!:D

For those that already got accepted, when did you apply and did you have to interview for this? I just applied...Im hoping it not too late.

Do you know how many seats there are total and how many have already been taken? thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I'm a recent grad of the BMS program at Barry.. It's definietly NOT late to apply- I know many people who applied all through out the summer and still got admission into the Fall class. Although the 1 year is competitive and a good indication of dental school, I have found that a LOT of people are still very successful doing the 1.5/2 year program. Remember, it's better to end up with more As than finishing early. Good luck guys!

Hi Everyone,

I'm a recent grad of the BMS program at Barry.. It's definietly NOT late to apply- I know many people who applied all through out the summer and still got admission into the Fall class. Although the 1 year is competitive and a good indication of dental school, I have found that a LOT of people are still very successful doing the 1.5/2 year program. Remember, it's better to end up with more As than finishing early. Good luck guys!

Hello, I was wondering where did you live while you were there? Also, did you get into dental school after this program? When did you apply to dental school?

Hello, I was wondering where did you live while you were there? Also, did you get into dental school after this program? When did you apply to dental school?

Hey I'm from here so I lived at home. However, I'd recommend living in Hollywood, Florida or Aventura, Florida. The main campus is in Miami Shores, but the BMS extension is in Hollywood. There are a lot of rentals in those 2 cities, and they're in the safer part of Miami. I used the main campus library. I got into a few dental schools AFTER I completed the program.

Hi Everyone,

EMV - did anyone only just take 1 year to finish? You got into dental schools after you finished the program but does that mean you applied that first year you were doing the program then? thanks!

EMV - did anyone only just take 1 year to finish? You got into dental schools after you finished the program but does that mean you applied that first year you were doing the program then? thanks!

Yes, there were definitely a few people who finished in only 1 year. Some of them even got into dental school after applying with only 1 semester grades as well. However, most people completed the program in 1.5 years, and were accepted into MANY schools. We took our DAT after 1 year of science classes, which helped increase our science scores :).

I did apply the summer before going into the program, but only interviewed and wait listed at 1 school. I am so thankful I was never taken off the wait list because now I'm going to a better school, and had a few interviews.

The 1 year is doable, it's really all up to you. I went into the program with the mindset I was going to do 1 year. I changed it after the first semester and realized I wasn't getting in so why am I going to pressure myself. The classes aren't easy, it's a graduate program.

I got in to the one year track for dental :) it'll be a nice change from the snow in Illinois

Sent from my HTC One X using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
hawkteeth - is the program as horrible as what people are saying? Did you apply to dental school during your 1 year at Barry? It the program more like you gotta fend for yourself or is there good support from the teachers and admin?

Thanks!

I'm a 4th year undergrad and graduating next year (my 5th year) to graduate with a BS in biomedical sciences. My sGPA is really low (~2.5) and oGPA is (~3.0). I still really want to become a dentist so would doing a masters program such as this be my best option? I'm considering taking my DAT this summer btw

is this the program where you finished in one year and if you have a certain gpa you will automatically get into dental school there?

hawkteeth - is the program as horrible as what people are saying? Did you apply to dental school during your 1 year at Barry? It the program more like you gotta fend for yourself or is there good support from the teachers and admin?

Thanks!

I thought the program was great. They won't hold your hand and walk you through the application process but the program has it's own building and faculty that you can talk to almost whenever you want. The people that didn't like the program were spoiled brats (in my opinion). The teachers tell you at the start of class that there is no rounding up of grades, but people still hassled the professors because "I can't get a C, this is my last chance." Some of the professors are more lenient but this is a masters program, don't rely on professors bumping your grade up. If you do your work and don't screw around you will get As. I don't know why people say it's horrible, almost all the people I know got into dental/med school this cycle.

I didn't apply during my time there because with my GPA I needed the whole years worth of grades to help my application. I knew a few people that were accepted during the school year into dental and med school though.

There is also community smiles in Miami, a dental clinic you can volunteer at to get tons of volunteer/shadowing hours. Also the BMS society is the masters organization that volunteers, has fundraisers, etc. its a great way to add to your ECs.

is this the program where you finished in one year and if you have a certain gpa you will automatically get into dental school there?

That would be Nova, but I heard that program is almost as hard to get into as dental school.

I'm a 4th year undergrad and graduating next year (my 5th year) to graduate with a BS in biomedical sciences. My sGPA is really low (~2.5) and oGPA is (~3.0). I still really want to become a dentist so would doing a masters program such as this be my best option? I'm considering taking my DAT this summer btw

With a GPA that low I think it is your best option. If you can bust your ass and get a 4.0 or close to it, it will show schools you have what it takes to succeed at a higher lever. Some people would say retake your science classes, but what does taking freshman bio over prove? Not much in my opinion. I say go for the Masters.

With a GPA that low I think it is your best option. If you can bust your ass and get a 4.0 or close to it, it will show schools you have what it takes to succeed at a higher lever. Some people would say retake your science classes, but what does taking freshman bio over prove? Not much in my opinion. I say go for the Masters.

I've sadly retaken bio, ochem, and physics a couple times already. My original plan was to apply for Fall 2014, but after calculating my GPA I don't know if its even worth it to apply. I feel like my LORs are going to be weak and I barely have ECs. I have about 100+ shadowing hours, but I haven't taken the DAT. I am determined to ace the DAT but can you please show me where I stand realistically? Thanks

I've sadly retaken bio, ochem, and physics a couple times already. My original plan was to apply for Fall 2014, but after calculating my GPA I don't know if its even worth it to apply. I feel like my LORs are going to be weak and I barely have ECs. I have about 100+ shadowing hours, but I haven't taken the DAT. I am determined to ace the DAT but can you please show me where I stand realistically? Thanks

Realistically I don't think you will get in anywhere with that GPA. Especially with science being so low.

Do you mind sharing your undegrad stats? I also got into for Fall 2013 and wanna see if this is the best option for me taking into consideration finances and other factors. I have a 3.0 cum/sci and 21AA ad 21TS on my DATs. I don't wnat another gap year. If i do well in the one year track, will I have trouble getting into dental schools?

I had a oGPA 3.16 and sGPA 2.97 and a 20DAT. After my 4.0 masters I had a oGPA 3.29 and a sGPA 3.23 an retook the DAT and got a 23. I applied to 21 schools, but I also had some criminal background stuff from a while ago that hurt my ap so if you do good in a masters I'm sure you'll get in.

I have been accepted to a dental school. So, I will bw giving up my seat. Good luck everyone!

Sent from my HTC One X using SDN Mobile

Thanks for replying!!

I've hear this program have a high affiliation with NOVA...do you know of any truths to this?

I thought the program was great. They won't hold your hand and walk you through the application process but the program has it's own building and faculty that you can talk to almost whenever you want. The people that didn't like the program were spoiled brats (in my opinion). The teachers tell you at the start of class that there is no rounding up of grades, but people still hassled the professors because "I can't get a C, this is my last chance." Some of the professors are more lenient but this is a masters program, don't rely on professors bumping your grade up. If you do your work and don't screw around you will get As. I don't know why people say it's horrible, almost all the people I know got into dental/med school this cycle.

I didn't apply during my time there because with my GPA I needed the whole years worth of grades to help my application. I knew a few people that were accepted during the school year into dental and med school though.

There is also community smiles in Miami, a dental clinic you can volunteer at to get tons of volunteer/shadowing hours. Also the BMS society is the masters organization that volunteers, has fundraisers, etc. its a great way to add to your ECs.

Thanks for replying!!

I've hear this program have a high affiliation with NOVA...do you know of any truths to this?

They use notes from nova for neuro and histo and a nova professor teaches the general dentistry class. I think most of us were invited to interview at Nova but even with a good interview I was wait listed there. It's more of an acquaintance than an affiliation, definitely have the opportunity to get yourself known by visiting the school since its so close though.

They use notes from nova for neuro and histo and a nova professor teaches the general dentistry class. I think most of us were invited to interview at Nova but even with a good interview I was wait listed there. It's more of an acquaintance than an affiliation, definitely have the opportunity to get yourself known by visiting the school since its so close though.

Hmm...so are you saying the chance of getting accepted into NOVA isn't that high, or severely boosted by being a student at Barry?

Of those that were granted interviews @ NOVA, do you know how many of those got accepted?

How many students total were in your class? I heard it's like 60 MS students..is that correct? That's a really big class then.

I've read that classes are usually in the evening...like from 4-6pm? That's kinda strange to me..how come classes aren't held in the morning?
Is jonhathan coffman the program director? Can you make a few comments about him and the administration in general?

Thank you!!

Last edited:
Yes, there were definitely a few people who finished in only 1 year. Some of them even got into dental school after applying with only 1 semester grades as well. However, most people completed the program in 1.5 years, and were accepted into MANY schools. We took our DAT after 1 year of science classes, which helped increase our science scores :).

I did apply the summer before going into the program, but only interviewed and wait listed at 1 school. I am so thankful I was never taken off the wait list because now I'm going to a better school, and had a few interviews.

The 1 year is doable, it's really all up to you. I went into the program with the mindset I was going to do 1 year. I changed it after the first semester and realized I wasn't getting in so why am I going to pressure myself. The classes aren't easy, it's a graduate program.

Did BU offer a DAT prep course? Is that why you wrote "WE took our DAT after 1 year of science classes?"
Can you elaborate on your experience there, in regards to the curriculum, professors, classes, overall helpfulness of the program?
Do you need a car there to get around (I'm thinking this is a yes)?
There's also been many posts about the safety issues around campus/general area...is it really THAT ghetto/unsafe?

Thanks.

Hmm...so are you saying the chance of getting accepted into NOVA isn't that high, or severely boosted by being a student at Barry?

Of those that were granted interviews @ NOVA, do you know how many of those got accepted?

How many students total were in your class? I heard it's like 60 MS students..is that correct? That's a really big class then.

I've read that classes are usually in the evening...like from 4-6pm? That's kinda strange to me..how come classes aren't held in the morning?
Is jonhathan coffman the program director? Can you make a few comments about him and the administration in general?

Thank you!!

Maybe 2 of 5 got offers from Nova, but I would look at other schools anyways, sound lie they have a few issues with their clinic on top of other things. There were about 60 in my entering class, about 30 of that in the one year and the rest in 18 mo or two year. But your all mixed together so you might have class as a one year with a two year student who started two semesters before you.

Not all your classes are night classes, this isn't high school it's college, you have random class times, you should be used to it. I had classes at 8:30a and classes at 6:30 pm, it's not bad because the only other thing you have to do during the day is study.

As for Coffman, I got a LOR from him and he's pretty laid back. The administration will help you but they won't walk you through the program, it's a masters, your responsible for your own grades and preparing yourself for the dental application.

I also applied to Barry 1-year BMS program and still waiting to hear back. I just got accepted into Rush 1-year masters in biotech and I am deciding whether to go here, Rush, Midwestern, or Rosalind Franklin.

Thank you!!

From what I've ascertained, Barry is sort of a Ponzi scheme for Nova. Nova tells rejected students to go to Barry and get a masters to boost their GPA, then come back and apply. Students go pay Barry>reapply>pay Nova. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out that the owner(s) of Nova also own Barry. They're, at a minimum, getting some kickbacks.

I had never heard of Barry until I went to Nova, but I'd say probably 15-20% of my class had gotten a masters from Barry, if that tells you anything. At least their loyal to their paying customers, I guess :rolleyes:

And if I remember correctly, there are some strings attached if you do the masters>dental school thing. Something like if you get a C or lower in ANY class first year of D school, you have to repeat the entire year.

Have fun with that.

Thank you!!

From what I've ascertained, Barry is sort of a Ponzi scheme for Nova. Nova tells rejected students to go to Barry and get a masters to boost their GPA, then come back and apply. Students go pay Barry>reapply>pay Nova. Wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out that the owner(s) of Nova also own Barry. They're, at a minimum, getting some kickbacks.

I had never heard of Barry until I went to Nova, but I'd say probably 15-20% of my class had gotten a masters from Barry, if that tells you anything. At least their loyal to their paying customers, I guess :rolleyes:

And if I remember correctly, there are some strings attached if you do the masters>dental school thing. Something like if you get a C or lower in ANY class first year of D school, you have to repeat the entire year.

Have fun with that.

Have fun with that.

Yep, Nova is making all their money on secondary application fees from reapplicants... And Nova has their own Masters program that you gain admittance into the dental school if you meet a certain GPA, those are probably the strings your not remembering correctly. That has nothing to do with Barry. It would be nice if they were connected, maybe I would have gotten in there with my 4.0 GPA at Barry, sorry I meant Nova Jr. You have no idea what your talking about.

Former Barry student here, every program has those who complain, and those who genuinely make good use of its potential. I'm at Nova now and going to Barry in did not help me to get in, in the sense that you hint at... it was my connections that I had to make at Nova and my scores at Barry that made the difference. But technically you could do the same in any other SMP. Does Nova have a preference to Barry students? Sure but just as much as any other local applicant with good scores in an SMP and good DATs.... there are professors that teach at Nova by day and at Barry by night... so there is a big connection right there to get ur foot thru the door at Nova, but I know people that got a C at Barry and Nova would not even give them the time of day. Its really up to you to do well.

Would I suggest going to Barry? Absolutely. It helped my study habits, GPA, and attitude about applying to School greatly....

PS. The track you are in doesn't make a difference.... its the GPA that does, all they see is 1 or 2 extra columns of grades on your printout when you interview.... what will they notice? The extra columns with As or less columns with worse grades? You tell me what's better? If you can do it in a year, by all means do it, but if you can't, don't rush it.

Yep, Nova is making all their money on secondary application fees from reapplicants... And Nova has their own Masters program that you gain admittance into the dental school if you meet a certain GPA, those are probably the strings your not remembering correctly. That has nothing to do with Barry. It would be nice if they were connected, maybe I would have gotten in there with my 4.0 GPA at Barry, sorry I meant Nova Jr. You have no idea what your talking about.

I think you missed my point. It has nothing to do with application fees. I do hope your dentistry skills are better than your grammar and reading comprehension.

I think you missed my point. It has nothing to do with application fees. I do hope your dentistry skills are better than your grammar and reading comprehension.

I got your point. It just doesn't make any sense. I'm sorry if my informal writing style on an online forum isn't up to your level. Maybe if I was smarter I would have realized I was getting took by Nova when I was getting my masters at Barry.

Former Barry student here, every program has those who complain, and those who genuinely make good use of its potential. I'm at Nova now and going to Barry in did not help me to get in, in the sense that you hint at... it was my connections that I had to make at Nova and my scores at Barry that made the difference. But technically you could do the same in any other SMP. Does Nova have a preference to Barry students? Sure but just as much as any other local applicant with good scores in an SMP and good DATs....

Can you please elaborate on what kind of "connections" you made? Was it only just knowing the professors from NOVA (since they teach at both schools) or something more, like working/volunteering/researching at NOVA?

Also, what is the administration like and how is the director of the program (coffman)? I've been trying to speak with him to ask him questions but he never answers the phone and then pushed me over to talk to someone else....
How are the exams? Are they all multiple choices?

Would you be willing to share why you think you didn't get accepted to NOVA dental school with your 4.0 @ barry?!?? Is NOVA really THAT hard????

For those that did the program already and finished...what was the end of the year comprehensive exam like? How many questions, what type of questions (ie, are they all mult choice), and the difficult level of the exam? Thanks!

Can you please elaborate on what kind of "connections" you made? Was it only just knowing the professors from NOVA (since they teach at both schools) or something more, like working/volunteering/researching at NOVA?

Also, what is the administration like and how is the director of the program (coffman)? I've been trying to speak with him to ask him questions but he never answers the phone and then pushed me over to talk to someone else....
How are the exams? Are they all multiple choices?

Coffman was usually running around doing stuff all day, I would talk to Marlene if she is still there, the BMS building is off by itself in Hollywood and there isn't alot of staff like there is on the main campus. Exams were multiple choice, bubble sheet style, and the labs (neuro, histo, anatomy) were identify and write the correct structure (50 questions).

Would you be willing to share why you think you didn't get accepted to NOVA dental school with your 4.0 @ barry?!?? Is NOVA really THAT hard????

I was thinking they had higher avg. accepted GPA than some of the other schools I applied at. I thought my interview went great (my interviewer told me) and I have kept in touch with him to keep my name in the mix (I recently gave up, as I don't think I want to go there anymore due to their clinic and some other stuff I have heard). The only thing I can think of is some stuff on my criminal background from a while back that may be giving the adcom hesitation. I don't really care anymore, I have an acceptance and I owe it to Barry (or at least the work I did there), and as I said before, I don't think I would take an acceptance if given one at this point.

For those that did the program already and finished...what was the end of the year comprehensive exam like? How many questions, what type of questions (ie, are they all mult choice), and the difficult level of the exam? Thanks!

It was short tests for neuro, histo, biochem, physio, and anatomy. You take it on a computer at the same time as others in a large computer room. Tests are multiple choice. I only knew a few who failed (they didn't study much) and they were able to retake it. I thought it was easy, but I studied my ass off for it, like I did on everything that year.

Can you please elaborate on what kind of "connections" you made? Was it only just knowing the professors from NOVA (since they teach at both schools) or something more, like working/volunteering/researching at NOVA

Connections as in you end up learning who you need to know, and who can help you get that final push through the door. It helps alot that they already have a certain standard to look for when looking at Barry grads too. You don't need a Barry program to build these connections, but I would have never had the balls to walk into some of these Adcoms people offices without being suggested to by some of my Barry/Nova professors. Aside from Dr. Lippman, its kinda hard to put a face and a story to your AADSAS, and Im pretty sure Dr. Lippman almost never remembers the people that come to see him so you cant really rely on that single venue....

So to say that Nova and Barry have some sort of shady thing going on like someone mentioned? That's pretty ridiculous. What does go on that helps is they've accepted quite a few Barry grads over the years, and most of them rock in their classes in dschool, so the adcoms tend to like some of us more....

The people bad mouthing Barry and Nova clearly didn't take that advantage and are probably sore about it, or they might be enjoying cheaper tuition at a state school.... who knows, but its hard to deny that going to Barry clearly can give you a major one up on other applicants from other schools at NOVA....

Hello, are there any females looking still looking for housing? I found a couple of places that are pretty nice and affordable. I found a 2 bedroom (about $445/month) or 3 bedroom (about $336/month) condo in aventura. I also found a house in aventura that is 3 bedroom for $300/month and it looks pretty decent. Let me know if you are interested!

Yes! I got accepted! I'm very excited to start!
I know we have to pick our classes during orientation a week prior to when classes start.

Does anyone have any classes they suggest taking? Some easier classes? Or better professors? Or professors we should watch out for?

Thank you!

Yes! I got accepted! I'm very excited to start!
I know we have to pick our classes during orientation a week prior to when classes start.

Does anyone have any classes they suggest taking? Some easier classes? Or better professors? Or professors we should watch out for?

Thank you!

You don't pick the program isn't that big, if your in the 18 month or two year you can have a little choice but teachers will be the same no matter when you take them.

Anyone starting in January for the 18 month track? I'll be moving down there probably mid-December assuming a find a place around Hollywood by then

is there summer classes to take if you get accepted into the program? or is this just fall and spring semester?

Anyone starting in January for the 18 month track? I'll be moving down there probably mid-December assuming a find a place around Hollywood by then

I am stating on wednesday as well. 18month track! I'm very excited. i live in miami but I'm considering moving up to hollywood. Did you find a place and if you did, how much was the rent?