Barry or Rutgers Post-Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazerj

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just accepted to both programs, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or comments regarding either program. Both programs seem to offer very similar classes, so I am unsure on how to decide which one is better. I did pretty well on my DAT, so I don't plan on retaking it. My main reason for doing a post-bacc is to combat my low undergrad GPA.

Also, the Rutgers program is the dental-scholars program at the Newark campus.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi LazerJ,

I was wondering, how low is your GPA? I have a pretty low GPA myself and wanted to apply to both Barry and Rutgers but am afraid they will screen me out before looking at my full applications (LOR, EC,etc)

When I applied my Gpa was around a 3.0 but my science Gpa was only around a 2.5. I think these types of programs look at the entire application and not just your Gpa so I would assume you would be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi LazerJ,

I was wondering, how low is your GPA? I have a pretty low GPA myself and wanted to apply to both Barry and Rutgers but am afraid they will screen me out before looking at my full applications (LOR, EC,etc)

Apply anyways. I was accepted into both programs and had an overall GPA of 2.7

When I applied my Gpa was around a 3.0 but my science Gpa was only around a 2.5. I think these types of programs look at the entire application and not just your Gpa so I would assume you would be fine.

If you don't mind me asking, how did they calculate the overall GPA and science GPA? I've been talking to a few programs that only take into account your pre-requisite science classes like (Biology, Chemistry, Ochem and Physics) as your science GPA. My GPA is mainly dragged down by the first two years of college which incidentally were the years that I took these core classes. After graduation I've been taking upper division science classes on my own and getting A's, but now I'm thinking for this upcoming fall I should retake my core science classes instead of new science classes? Any thoughts on this?

Thank you again for your help

Last edited:
Apply anyways. I was accepted into both programs and had an overall GPA of 2.7

Hi Hermey DDS,
Thank you for replying to my post. Congratulations on being accepted to both programs. Where did you end up going? Did you apply early? Any advice you can share with me for the application process?