Barry University Biomedical Science Masters Program Fall 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I find that funny... @DMD hopeful

cna training

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My friend is in this program and though the first half of her year went well, they have had changes with directors that has really messed things up. The last semester, she has had some bad professors which has really messed up her GPA and now she is stuck there in a kind of catch 22 since she definitely won't be able to get into medical school with the new GPA but taking more classes might make things even worse. In fact, before she went into this program, she had a GPA in the low 3's and now it's in the mid 2's. She has studied much harder than undergrad, so it's not for lack of trying either.

One particular professor she has had has especially given her a lot of grief over refusing to fix grading errors on his part, which ended up affecting her final grade. She is in fact in the process of trying to get a grade appeal, and since I've been helping her with this, it is clear the administration does not give a damn about their students.

Of course, take what I say with a grain of salt since I'm not actually a student at Barry nor have I been in the past, but I would definitely stay away from this program at least until they fix things. I just had to write this because the things I've heard from her make me infuriated on her behalf and nobody should pay for this program with the hope of help getting into medical school and end up even further from their dream.

Members don't see this ad :)
My friend is in this program and though the first half of her year went well, they have had changes with directors that has really messed things up. The last semester, she has had some bad professors which has really messed up her GPA and now she is stuck there in a kind of catch 22 since she definitely won't be able to get into medical school with the new GPA but taking more classes might make things even worse. In fact, before she went into this program, she had a GPA in the low 3's and now it's in the mid 2's. She has studied much harder than undergrad, so it's not for lack of trying either.

One particular professor she has had has especially given her a lot of grief over refusing to fix grading errors on his part, which ended up affecting her final grade. She is in fact in the process of trying to get a grade appeal, and since I've been helping her with this, it is clear the administration does not give a damn about their students.

Of course, take what I say with a grain of salt since I'm not actually a student at Barry nor have I been in the past, but I would definitely stay away from this program at least until they fix things. I just had to write this because the things I've heard from her make me infuriated on her behalf and nobody should pay for this program with the hope of help getting into medical school and end up even further from their dream.

Thank you for the insight. This really worries me. I'm beginning to realize that this program is not worth the $$. :confused:

Today was my last day of this program. I was in the one year program, and just finished the second summer session. What a long year it has been.

Honestly, I really liked this program. There might be better ones out there, but I can't comment on how Barry compares to other Master's programs, but here are my thoughts on Barry. This program is designed to really work you and test your motivation and discipline. Of course it's going to be hard, and of course it will ruin GPAs. The program was not designed to boost your GPAs, it was designed to give you a second chance to show professional schools that you are a capable and competent student that can handle a tough science course load. It is a hard program and I had to spend a LOT of time studying. I studied everyday, on weekends, stayed up late, woke up early, never did much except studied my ass off. I ended up with a 4.0 and very well deserved it. I saw so many kids still not knowing how important this program was, always going out and partying or doing other crap. The library was like my second home.

Pro's: You really do learn a lot. We had an amazing physiology teacher. I feel like I'm very well prepared for the basic sciences that dental school has to offer. It was a step above my undergraduate physiology class which was already a great class. I learned so much in neuro, biochem, histology, head and neck anatomy, pharmacology, and microbiology. The level of education is great, and all the teachers were very good at what they did. When you leave Barry, and if you work hard and put in the time, you will learn a lot. A few things to take note is that the physiology teacher I had will not be teaching the Fall physio class so that's kind of a good and bad thing for the new people because even though my teacher was tough, he really knew his stuff and taught it well. You learn so much from him. Also there will be a different director so I don't know how that changes things.
I know a few schools do know about Barry, but others do not. The program is pretty old I think, and I know I've heard that some dental schools are impressed by the kids from Barry.
I guess one great thing about master's programs in general are the people you meet. Most, if not all of us, are reapplicants and we've all been through the process. I met some great people here and wish them all the best of luck.

Con's: The administrative side of things kinda sucked. The scheduling of classes was always a mess. There were conflicts of lab/lecture times, too many students in a lecture, etc etc, but everything always worked out at the end. Just be patient with them and everything works out fine. The area where Barry is located is sketchy but I never had any problems. They have security guards everywhere and we sometimes studied at the 24 hr building until 3-4 am. I never left campus on foot, and just walked to parking lot and drove home so not a huge deal.

Just remember why you guys are there. You are paying 32K in tuition + rent/food/gas/books. Don't mess around, and stay focus. I went from a 3.25 sGPA to a 3.44 sGPA thanks to the program. I would be happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight BoxerRumble. I understand the work ethic involved in getting a 4.0 so congrats on that!

My main concern is whether or not you had any down time at all? From what you said, studying every day, late at nights and early in the mornings, I can do. But was it to the point that you couldn't do much recreational activity at all?

Regardless, it is a second chance to better my grades so I will more than likely go either way, but I am worried about being able to better my GPA from undergrad when this curriculum seems much much more intense in comparison.

Down time depends. We sometimes had a good stretch after a couple of days of testing and we would have maybe a week or 2 until the next big test. People underestimate these "breaks". I saw it as an opportunity to catch up on other classes. People had time to work out, go out to eat, go out and enjoy miami, etc, but I gave up everything to get the grades I needed. I probably could have done things for fun but I never let myself slip because I just didn't want to risk screwing up. Day to day, I would go to class in the morning, if we had breaks in between class, I would be at the library studying, and then after class I would go home and eat dinner and relaxed for like an hour or two, do more studying and sleep. Rinse and repeat. When midterms/finals came around, it was intense study mode...those were when we stayed until really late and came early. Also drank a lot of coffee. Never really had much time to do anything else.

The curriculum is actually not very hard at all. The only class that took a bit of comprehension was physiology. Every other class was just memorizing a LOT of information. It's just the quantity of information you had to retain for a test that made it hard. The questions they ask on the test is super straight forward. I believe most tests were multiple choice, 50 questions. Physiology test though had calculations, K type questions, and definition. The other classes were mostly multiple choice, really straight forward. As long as you put in the time and effort, you'll do well in the program.

Just got accepted yesterday afternoon to the 18 month/ 2year track.
I will more than likely be going, although it seems like a pretty expensive program, at this late stage, I believe its my best option.

This thread hasn't had many posts from people who will be attended Barry this fall. Anyone? Anyone looking for roomate(s) still?

Would be cool to know a person or two before moving all the way to Miami :D

Hey all, congrats! I just finished the one year program, and I am moving to Boston this Friday (Aug 12) to start dent school. I want to sell my books before leaving Miami, so please contact me ASAP if you are interested:[email protected]/786326820​3

1.Biochemistry for Health Professionals 2nd Edition $120
-TEXTBOOK + DIAGRAM/NOTE BOOK
-Costs $150+ in bookstore
-Mandatory for Biochem I & II. Professor Shaw is the author and tests from this book only.
-Both are in perfect condition, and the “Take Note to Accompany” book has never been written in.
-Last year they ran out of books and we didn’t get them until after the first quiz.

2.Berne and Levy Physiology 6th Edition + Online access $45 (Koeppen and Stanton)
- Perfect condition–no writing/highlighting and book is fully intact.

3.Fundamental Neuroscience for Basic and Clinical Applications 3rd Edition + Online Access- $40 (Haines)
- Perfect condition–no writing/highlighting and book is fully intact.

Good luck!

I got accepted about a week ago and I need a roommate too :( Anyone out there this late still looking for one?

anyone have any input on where to live? don't want somewhere shady!! starting spring 2012

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

About the Program
I am currently in the 18 month program that started in January 2011. I deferred from the fall start waiting on a few medical schools. I am learning a lot in the BMS Program. The majority of the professors love teaching and believe in the program. It was sad to see Dr. Abdellatif move on. He definitely believed highly in the program and prevented many administrative changes from occurring. Now that he is gone; however, many of those changes are taking place.

Currently the BMS program has no anatomy professor. In addition, the gross dissection, which made this program unique compared to many other similar programs, could become a virtual lab. Secondly, the program is set to move off the Miami Shores campus to a new Hollywood campus in 2012; however, no official announcement has been made. Current students are not to happy about this since we are not sure whether we should move or not.

The interim dean is sharing his time between the BMS program and the CRNA program, so it is difficult to learn anything regarding the move or what the plans are for gross anatomy. The program is a mess in regards to its administration right now. In fact, I have witnessed no student involvement or direct communication to the students regarding any changes my entire time here. The students seem to be the last to learn of the changes.

Where to Live
Miami traffic is horrible if you are not used to it and moving from outside the state. Kendall, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, and Miramar are all relatively close to the main campus; however, the traffic can turn 15 minutes into an hour or more. I would actually suggest moving north of Miami Shores to either Miami Gardens, North Miami, Sunny Isles, or Aventura (even Hollywood).

I actually live in Miami Shores and it is pretty safe and blocks away from the main campus. Maimi is not like Los Angeles where there are bad areas a good areas to live. It seems in Miami you just have to drive a few blocks to go from a nice neighborhood to a bad one. The student housing website or roomster are helpful in finding a place. Wherever you move, I would suggest bringing a car with you since the buses are not the best and if campus does move, you will be splitting your time between two areas!

Keep all this in mind before you accept a seat in the program. It might be worth looking elsewhere. Nova Southeastern has a bridge program for instance.

Hello all,

Keep all this in mind before you accept a seat in the program. It might be worth looking elsewhere. Nova Southeastern has a bridge program for instance.

I agree with RGH, Dr. A wasn't always nice, but he was always available and he definitively cared about students and the program. He always gave students great advice, sometime good advice that changes your career for the best.

Now that the program lost its advantage over other similar programs, no more human brains in neuro lab, no more slides in histo lab, and virtual anatomy instead of real cadavers, and no more professional advice from people who care, it is becoming an online program. Medical schools aren't gonna look favorably on all of these online courses.

I wouldn't be surprised if Barry closes BMS in a couple of years, especially since Nova will be expanding their program soon.

How much can you take out in loans for the Barry postbacc?

Hello all,

About the Program
I am currently in the 18 month program that started in January 2011. I deferred from the fall start waiting on a few medical schools. I am learning a lot in the BMS Program. The majority of the professors love teaching and believe in the program. It was sad to see Dr. Abdellatif move on. He definitely believed highly in the program and prevented many administrative changes from occurring. Now that he is gone; however, many of those changes are taking place.

Currently the BMS program has no anatomy professor. In addition, the gross dissection, which made this program unique compared to many other similar programs, could become a virtual lab. Secondly, the program is set to move off the Miami Shores campus to a new Hollywood campus in 2012; however, no official announcement has been made. Current students are not to happy about this since we are not sure whether we should move or not.

The interim dean is sharing his time between the BMS program and the CRNA program, so it is difficult to learn anything regarding the move or what the plans are for gross anatomy. The program is a mess in regards to its administration right now. In fact, I have witnessed no student involvement or direct communication to the students regarding any changes my entire time here. The students seem to be the last to learn of the changes.

Where to Live
Miami traffic is horrible if you are not used to it and moving from outside the state. Kendall, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, and Miramar are all relatively close to the main campus; however, the traffic can turn 15 minutes into an hour or more. I would actually suggest moving north of Miami Shores to either Miami Gardens, North Miami, Sunny Isles, or Aventura (even Hollywood).

I actually live in Miami Shores and it is pretty safe and blocks away from the main campus. Maimi is not like Los Angeles where there are bad areas a good areas to live. It seems in Miami you just have to drive a few blocks to go from a nice neighborhood to a bad one. The student housing website or roomster are helpful in finding a place. Wherever you move, I would suggest bringing a car with you since the buses are not the best and if campus does move, you will be splitting your time between two areas!

Now I feel like kicking myself in the a**. Would you recommend just swallowing the 500 deposit and applying to NOVA. The only reason I'm hesitant on applying to NOVA is because it only starts in Fall, whereas I'm already accepted for Barry's Spring semester. Is it really as bad as everyone is saying, because I've heard a lot of good things about the program, even recently... CRAP!!!! Maybe take some classes in the Spring and if it's REALLY that bad, I can transfer to NOVA? Hmmmm..... suggestions anyone?

@Dental22:

In regards to your concerns, I have no clear answer. I do not believe the BMS program is bad. The program is challenging and I am learning a lot. I am proud of my 4.0 grade point average so far.

What concerns me is the lack of communication between students and faculty with the school administration. There is a lot of uncertainty right now. I do not know if I will be able to take the REQUIRED gross anatomy course in the spring because the school has failed to find a professor to teach it, as well as, failed to procure cadavers for the gross lab. I have heard that the program will offer us the option to take two three credit electives as a substitution for the gross anatomy requirement.

In addition, few students seem excited about the move. It still has not been officially announced. We have heard that the new building was a fire house in Hollywood, FL that has been converted into two classrooms and a lab. The rumor is that there is limited study space (if any) and limited outlets for plugging in laptops. I have learned that the university is working on providing the students with a printer. The biggest concern is whether the students will need to commute between both campuses since it appears most labs will remain at the campus in Miami Shores.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...130_1_downtown-fire-station-graduate-students

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/05/04/2201512/hollywood-oks-deal-with-barry.html

Personally, I wish I would have chosen to attend another program. Barry University seems to only care about the money the program generates and not the students. The BMS students currently are placed in two classrooms and one lacks air conditioning, which makes taking exams and sitting through three hour lectures extremely uncomfortable. Asking for fans in the room has fallen on deaf ears.

If you have the time, I would suggest deferring to the summer program start. Hopefully, the majority of the problems with the program will be resolved by then. Sorry for the bad news. In addition, maybe you can transfer the courses you took over the summer to Nova if you are accepted to their program. Many of the summer professors teach at both universities, but I am not sure if the credits will transfer.

Last edited:
Attended Meeting with Interim Program Director Providing News Regarding Hollywood Campus.

• Classes will be split between campuses.
  • Some professor refuse to go to Hollywood and will instead give lectures via televised video conferencing.
  • Both Hollywood classrooms are not big enough for current class sizes which will result in some students not physically being in class with the professors who do go to the Hollywood campus.
  • No printing will be available on-site at the Hollywood campus.
  • No study areas will be available on-site at the Hollywood campus.
  • A parking lot is "in the works", but currently none is available; and it is not known whether it will be secure.
  • The Director suggested students studying at the Hollywood Public Library which is apparently a few blocks away. The library closes around 6 or 7PM during the weekdays. Most classes in the program are evening classes, so night studying at the library is not an option.
  • No gross anatomy as it stands, nor head and neck anatomy for those pursuing dentistry.

This is everything I know at the moment. I would suggest not applying to the program right now and looking elsewhere. The program is in dire straits and Barry University is not making any effort to improve it.

That's weird because I am looking at their course catalog now and I spoke to the Director this morning and she said something completely opposite about coursework.

They are offering head and neck anatomy as well as gross anatomy at two different times...now as far as the campus is concerned, I have no idea but I loathe the idea of having to rush to another campus for one class...the joys of being a desperate student!

Attended Meeting with Interim Program Director Providing News Regarding Hollywood Campus.

• Some professor refuse to go to Hollywood and will instead give lectures via televised video conferencing.
  • Both Hollywood classrooms are not big enough for current class sizes which will result in some students not physically being in class with the professors who do go to the Hollywood campus.
  • A parking lot is "in the works", but currently none is available; and it is not known whether it will be secure.
  • The Director suggested students studying at the Hollywood Public Library which is apparently a few blocks away. The library closes around 6 or 7PM during the weekdays. Most classes in the program are evening classes, so night studying at the library is not an option.
  • No gross anatomy as it stands, nor head and neck anatomy for those pursuing dentistry.

This is everything I know at the moment. I would suggest not applying to the program right now and looking elsewhere. The program is in dire straits and Barry University is not making any effort to improve it.

That's weird because I am looking at their course catalog now and I spoke to the Director this morning and she said something completely opposite about coursework.

They are offering head and neck anatomy as well as gross anatomy at two different times...now as far as the campus is concerned, I have no idea but I loathe the idea of having to rush to another campus for one class...the joys of being a desperate student!

That's NOT the program director :D

Wow:eek:
sad but true:mad:

Yes, it is in the catalog; however, there is still no professor for the course, so it might be canceled. You will find that classes getting canceled and moved around is the norm with the BMS program. Edit: The catalog notes 2 sections, but it has not been updated and is showing the classes and times for LAST Spring according to the BMS Administrative Assistant. An updated schedule will be available on WebAdvisor in the coming weeks. There is still no anatomy professor, though the classes will be offered in the hopes the program finds a professor before classes begin in January.

Last edited:

:thumbdown:
A Nurse

Here is an email from the BMS program regarding the current status of the move to Hollywood. Please keep in mind that this could still be tentative information, but I believe it is useful to anybody starting in January 2012.

.Greetings BMS Students,.

.The Biomedical Sciences Program along with the Nurse Anesthesiology Program is set to move to our new location for the spring 2012 semester. Classes will begin on January 17, 2012. Web Advisor has been updated to reflect the new start date. Those that are registered/will register for Health Law & Ethics, keep in mind that this course will begin on Jan 11th since it is taught by another program..

.The new location is secured and fully equipped with two dedicated classrooms, a BMS Lab which features state of the art technology and equipment, faculty & staff offices, a student lounge with sofas & vending machines, and an outdoor patio. In addition, we will be just a few steps away from Downtown Hollywood where you will find a variety of shops, restaurants, and entertainment..

.During the first week of classes, new parking hang tags will be distributed. These tags will allow students to park in designated areas near the building. For the students that have bikes, the location will have convenient bike racks on site. In addition, we will be swapping out your Barry IDs to distribute new smart cards so that you may have access to the Hollywood building as well as continued access to resources on the main campus. .

.Below, you will find the address of our new location and a list of helpful addresses/phone numbers in the Hollywood area:.

· .The Hollywood Building.
. 421 N 21st Avenue, Hollywood, FL 33020.

· .For questions regarding renting/real estate:.
.Lisa Liotta.
.CRA Office.
.954-924-2980.

The program is changing some. The same courses are still offered, but new faculty are being hired since some faculty have left. Faculty are not fleeing. Courses like biochemistry, histology, neuroantaomy, pharmacology are all still the same. Ethics has also improved from its issues in the past with the new faculty from the HSA program. The new director is a liscense Nurse Anesthetist. He is just as nice and helpful as Dr. Abdellatiff, who was a fabulous mentor (in my opinion).
There is another thread regarding Barry here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=870864

Yes, it is in the catalog; however, there is still no professor for the course, so it might be canceled. You will find that classes getting canceled and moved around is the norm with the BMS program. Edit: The catalog notes 2 sections, but it has not been updated and is showing the classes and times for LAST Spring according to the BMS Administrative Assistant. An updated schedule will be available on WebAdvisor in the coming weeks. There is still no anatomy professor, though the classes will be offered in the hopes the program finds a professor before classes begin in January.

No Cadavers, No real Anatomy, Just stupid high school plastic model anatomy,
Do not tell that to medical school admission :(

Has anyone who is attending Barry this year been admitted to dental school? This is my top choice for next year.. I would love to know what advice you have and how the app process is going for current students! Thanks

Has anyone who is attending Barry this year been admitted to dental school? This is my top choice for next year.. I would love to know what advice you have and how the app process is going for current students! Thanks

The program is an enormous waste of money, especially if you want to be a dentist. I met with Dr. A last year because the program was my top choice too, and, despite my decent credentials, he told me I should stop pursuing dentistry and consider podiatry or physician assisting instead (both schools Barry has). I'm glad I reconsidered; from what I've heard, the program has fallen into shambles since he left (not that it was fabulous before).

Thanks for the advice. But I can't change my life plans at another person's discretion. I could never be a podiatrist (not interested) and the lack of autonomy a PA has is not for me. I never give up.

Thanks for the advice. But I can't change my life plans at another person's discretion. I could never be a podiatrist (not interested) and the lack of autonomy a PA has is not for me. I never give up.

I agree, which is the main reason why I avoided Barry. Everyone I knew who went there was pressured into another program. I honesty think that they would have made it more difficult for me to get into dental school, or at least discouraged me frequently.

Just to make sure this is a bit more up to date... There is a new program director, and a Gross Anatomy professor.

Another update. They have a new program director now, his name is .Dr. Jonathan Coffman. I guess the other guy was temporary until they found a more suitable one.

Does anyone know what the class schedule is like for this program? Is it possible to have a day time job while in this program?

Thanks!

Theres a schedule of classes. Most of the classes are in the evening. I guess its your discretion if you think you can fit work into the program...

Today was my last day of this program. I was in the one year program, and just finished the second summer session. What a long year it has been.

Honestly, I really liked this program. There might be better ones out there, but I can't comment on how Barry compares to other Master's programs, but here are my thoughts on Barry. This program is designed to really work you and test your motivation and discipline. Of course it's going to be hard, and of course it will ruin GPAs. The program was not designed to boost your GPAs, it was designed to give you a second chance to show professional schools that you are a capable and competent student that can handle a tough science course load. It is a hard program and I had to spend a LOT of time studying. I studied everyday, on weekends, stayed up late, woke up early, never did much except studied my ass off. I ended up with a 4.0 and very well deserved it. I saw so many kids still not knowing how important this program was, always going out and partying or doing other crap. The library was like my second home.

Pro's: You really do learn a lot. We had an amazing physiology teacher. I feel like I'm very well prepared for the basic sciences that dental school has to offer. It was a step above my undergraduate physiology class which was already a great class. I learned so much in neuro, biochem, histology, head and neck anatomy, pharmacology, and microbiology. The level of education is great, and all the teachers were very good at what they did. When you leave Barry, and if you work hard and put in the time, you will learn a lot. A few things to take note is that the physiology teacher I had will not be teaching the Fall physio class so that's kind of a good and bad thing for the new people because even though my teacher was tough, he really knew his stuff and taught it well. You learn so much from him. Also there will be a different director so I don't know how that changes things.
I know a few schools do know about Barry, but others do not. The program is pretty old I think, and I know I've heard that some dental schools are impressed by the kids from Barry.
I guess one great thing about master's programs in general are the people you meet. Most, if not all of us, are reapplicants and we've all been through the process. I met some great people here and wish them all the best of luck.

Con's: The administrative side of things kinda sucked. The scheduling of classes was always a mess. There were conflicts of lab/lecture times, too many students in a lecture, etc etc, but everything always worked out at the end. Just be patient with them and everything works out fine. The area where Barry is located is sketchy but I never had any problems. They have security guards everywhere and we sometimes studied at the 24 hr building until 3-4 am. I never left campus on foot, and just walked to parking lot and drove home so not a huge deal.

Just remember why you guys are there. You are paying 32K in tuition + rent/food/gas/books. Don't mess around, and stay focus. I went from a 3.25 sGPA to a 3.44 sGPA thanks to the program. I would be happy to answer any questions.

I realize you said your GPA increased from a 3.25 to a 3.44. I was wondering since the BMS 1-year track program gives us a grad GPA, does it really pull up our undergrad GPA? I thought both those GPA's are looked at differently.

I have a 3.09 Undergrad GPA. Would doing the BMS 1-year tract program be beneficial to me, or should I only look into a regular post-bac programs? Thank you for your help!.

I was accepted last week, but i do not know which track i was accepted to. The "mybarry" website doesn't really provide any details. I'm waiting for my initial letter in the mail which is supposed to have more details. I got my acceptance about 2 weeks after I applied.

Currently I'm a predent with GPA 3.33 and DAT 20AA/19TS/21PA

I am really interested in this program so if anyone with more information can post up it would be great :thumbup:

Hello! I have just been accepted to Barry's MBS program, and I am a predent student with just about the same GPA and DAT scores that you do! I was curious as to which time track you were accepted to! Did you attend this program? If so, do you recommend it to someone else? Anything helps. :)

Hi! I'm a current student at Barry's Biomedical Sciences program and I will be graduating in May and starting medical school in the Fall. I highly recommend this program. More information about the school and program can be found on the following links:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rate-your-smp-postbac.378876/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ences-masters-program-fall-2015-2016.1120251/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...ences-masters-program-fall-2015-2016.1121737/

Feel free to ask any additional questions!