Barry University Biomedical Sciences Masters program Fall 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prospectdentist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a current student please let me know if I could help with any information or questions. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I'm a current student please let me know if I could help with any information or questions. :)
how successful were the previous students that attended here?
(in regards to acceptance to dental school upon completion of the program)

1. How long is the program? When does it start and end?

2. What are the benefits of this program compared to other programs that offer MBS?

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

4. What is the hardest class? Why?

5. What is the easiest class? Why?

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks?

8. What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?

11. Is class attendance mandatory? How many hours of lecture/assisting per week?

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

13. What is the drop out rate?

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling? If yes, what are they?

15. How difficult was it to get a 4.0?

16. What are some chracteritics of the top students in the program that set them apart from the rest?

17. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

18. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school?

19. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?

20. What do you not like about your program?

21. If you had to do it over again, would you choose this post-bacc program?

21. Any last words or advice?

Members don't see this ad :)

Recent Graduate of this program, Barry posts up on their facebook page of everyone who gets accepted to which school
https://www.facebook.com/barrybiomedicalsciences/photos_all

I spoke to Dr. Chandra who is the director of this program not too long ago and he says that this year a lot of pre-dental students have gotten accepted with an average graduate GPA of 3.5+ and 19+ DAT.

highly successful particularly in getting into dental schools. In 2015, 46 students got into dental school out (approximately 50+ on dental track and graduated). This year already 25 students have gotten acceptance for 2016 fall. BMS program anticipates that it may double this number of acceptances in the next couple of months for dental school.

you can check the Facebook page for more info regarding the students who have gotten accepted . https://www.facebook.com/BarryU.BMS/

- the program begins in either August fall semester or January spring semester. The length of this program depends on what track you get accepted in (1 year, 18 months, or 2 year track). Although the track you are in doesn't really matter as you can finish the program as early as 1 year or as late as 2 years. I was accepted in the 2 year track but i finished in 18 months. As long as you take all the required courses and credits you need to graduate. You need 34 credits to graduate, most students are in the 18 month track and take 12 credits each semester (3 semesters total), which is typically 3 classes per semester.

2. What are the benefits of this program compared to other programs that offer MBS?

- while i can't speak for other programs that offer BMS as a degree, i can say the benefit of going to Barry is the cost. The cost of tuition is typically lower than most at 36k total. Another benefit is that this BMS program is pretty well known and have strong connections with other dental/medical schools such as Nova, VCU, Indiana, Western, Roseman. 1 benefit i do like is that Barry works hard to get admissions officers/counselors/advisors from many Dental/Medical schools to come to Barry and host a meeting where students can learn about the school, meet the faculty, ask questions, and potentially earn some face to face exposure. I remember this past semester, when VCU came to Barry, a lot of students who showed up for the meeting who applied to VCU and met with the admissions person, most were offered interviews to VCU the same week! Now that could be coincidence but attending those type of meetings is beneficial nonetheless.

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?

- There are no Midterm/Final weeks. Most classes have Just exams 1-3 or 1-4 or whatever. Whatever day it falls on thats when you take the exam. if it so happens you have all your exams in the same week then so be it. But my exams were typically back to back weeks. During Finals Or your last exams however, you might have all your exams in the same week, which is certainly doable.

Barry is starting to implement a new rule in which if students miss an exam they would need to make up that exam the seem week as finals! So if you miss exam 2 for whatever reason you will be taking your final and exam 2 for the same class the same week on top of all your other classes!. Don't miss an exam!

Its a tie between Gross Anatomy/Neuroanatomy

Gross anatomy was certainly difficult because of the material. Its a lot of material and lots of memorization. Gross anatomy is typically offered for every student's first semester. Since thats the case the class might be more difficult to some students because it is their first time in the program, in grad school, in the state of florida, and many factors can contribute to the difficulty of this course such as not yet developing a go-to study method or not yet surrounding yourself with the right crowd of students that you are comfortable with, etc.

Neuroanatomy

Unlike gross anatomy where its JUST ANATOMY. Neuroanatomy you also have to understand the physiology side of it on top of the anatomy side. That means understanding the functions and pathways and tracts of motor and sensation. You have to understand the different types of diseases and symptoms of those diseases as well as the treatment of those diseases. Lab for neuro was very hard because you are looking at sectional models of the brain that are stained. Every spec and bump has a name you need to be familiar with as well as the function. So its not just "anatomy" where you just have to know the location and name but also need to know functions and physiology behind it.

-any of your electives, Health Law Ethics/Immuno/Pathology. Health Law was very easy its typically understanding the ethics and legal side of healthcare which was very interesting. Immuno is immuno, all you learn about is more in depth about T-Cell/B-Cell and the functions of each and how they proliferate. Pathology was very fun, understanding the different diseases and symptoms and what test you use. it was almost like being in an episode of house.

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?

- most classes are based on powerpoints that the professor provides. Biochem 1/2 is the only class that required a textbook. Dr. Shaw who teaches biochem wrote his own biochem book that he wants student to purchase. It is a good purchase in my opinion, the textbook is very light and easy to read and understand. Histology and Neuroanatomy however is currently taught by the same professor, Dr. Orr. His teaching style is very old fashioned compared to what most students are use to in that he gives students a note packet that is pretty much copies and copies of someone's old notes. So the detail of the text and "hand drawn images" are lost, which can sometimes make things difficult. Since they are notes, not all of the information on what he lectures on are in your notes, so a textbook would come in handy if you need extra information. I didn't purchase the recommended textbook as i noticed it was really "beefy" and not outlined like i prefer. I used BRS Neuroanatomy which was useful in my opinion.

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks?

The textbooks that are required such as Biochem come in electronic PDF and paper textbook. For biochem i prefered the paperback version as i needed to actually read the book for the class. However for Neuro, i got the electronic version of the Lab manual and BRS Neuroanatomy. For lab i found that it was easier to zoom in on my Ipad on the anatomy of the brain as well as make marks and colors with my stylus. With the electronic version i can print out several copies of the cross sections of the brain on paper so i can practice coloring in the different parts of the brain/brain stem. I think it just depends on your personal preference.

-Letter Grades
90-100 = A
80=89 = B
70-79 = C
anything lower than a 70 is an F

Although this system is nice if you have a 90-91 because it gets you an A 4.0, but it can also hurt you if you finish with an 89 which is a B not a B+ so that would be a 3.0 on your GPA.

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?

- I feel that the culture at Barry is a comfortable culture in which everyone is very supporting. The staff and professors are very supporting of students and are always willing to help. I have not run into many students are trying to sabotoge one another. At least my class was, i cant say the same for entering classes that came in after my cohort.

Yes, if you qualify for it because of disabilities then a professor would appoint a volunteer note taker. Although most classes have Lecture Capture where the lectures are recorded and are available online. Typically the major courses such as Biochem, Physio, Neuro, Histo, Gross anatomy have lecture capture.

11. Is class attendance mandatory? How many hours of lecture/assisting per week?

Most core classes are two days a week and 1 day of lab. Attendance depends on your professor. It was typically not mandatory but some professors offer you extra credit if you are in class. Electives are typically once a week for 3 hours long. Biochem is once a week every Friday always.

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?

- They are very approachable for questions, before and after class and during office hours.

- I don't know the numbers but for my graduating class this past December of 2015. I don't remember anyone dropping out due to failure. I do know some students who dropped out early out of this program because they got accepted to Dental/Medical school while in the program and decided not to finish it.

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling? If yes, what are they?

- the teacher assistants and Lab TA''s typically hold tutoring sessions once a week for the major core classes such as Gross, physio, biochem, histo, and neuro.

- i did not have a 4.0, but i noticed it was very obtainable. Most classes are structured in a way to keep students from doing bad. Such as Gross anatomy, there were 3 exams worth 50% but also 3 lab exams worth also 50%. So if you did bad on lecture, you can make it up in lab. Neuro was 70/30 as lab was harder than lecture in my opinion, so that 30% lab grade was really helpful not to bring down my overall grade very much.

16. What are some characteristics of the top students in the program that set them apart from the rest?

- Top students in the program were very hard working. I think anyone can be a top student as long as you compete with yourself and not with others. Find your studying method that works for you and only for you. Dont worry about what other people are doing and how they prepare.

17. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?

- the BMS program is offered at the Hollywood campus and not at the main campus. The hollywood campus is VERY SMALL. there are 3 classrooms, 2 very small and 1 large size. There is also a lobby. Most students do not study on campus as you can only use the classrooms to study if there is no class going on. The lobby is small and is always loud because students are either chatting or getting ready to go to class. Most students study at libraries in the area or on the main campus as well as at Nova Southeastern University which has a public library and its about 15 mins away.

18. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school?

- Yes, as most students in this program are typically out of state. Most students live near by the school and are very sociable outside of school since everyone is new to the city/state. The school is located just walking distance away from Downtown Hollywood, which has many great restaurants/bars. It is very close to the beach about a 10 min drive and a 20 min drive to either Ft. Lauderdale or Miami.

19. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?

- I enjoyed almost everything about this program i thought it was really supportive towards my goals and was very fair. The classes were fair and so were majority of the professors.

-Yes i would.

21. Any last words or advice?[/QUOTE]

- Drop whatever studying methods you have from undergrad. Most students are in this program for a reason and that reason is because they did not do well in undergrad. Start this program off right and start fresh. Don't slack off early, start studying early. The earlier you study the faster you realize what methods work for you and do not work for you. You realize what methods work for certain classes and do not work. You realize what group of people you can surround yourself with that you are comfortable with. It really sucks to know that your first exams are coming up and you have not found your method of studying yet.

- Don't compete with others around you, compete against yourself and work with others to achieve the same goal. Everyone here is in the same boat as you.

- Study early so you know what you don't understand so that you can ask questions in class or outside of class. You can't ask a question if you haven't studied yet. By the time you start studying and the exam is around the corner you will not have time to ask something you don't understand.

-Quizlet everything! There is a bunch of information on quizlet from former/current students that is really helpful. If you make your own quizlet don't keep it on private, share with your classmates.

-Most classes take longer to organize the material than it does to actually study the material. If you start early you can spend more time studying rather than organizing. You will understand what this means when you actually start studying. Gross anatomy was a lot easier to study if you organize it well in to charts/diagrams/flash cards. Same with Neuro.

GOODLUCK! PM me for more questions.

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry OP, i hijacked your thread lol. I couldn't help myself. But you should also provide your input. Im sure SDN would love insight from a current student as well as former.

Sorry OP, i hijacked your thread lol. I couldn't help myself. But you should also provide your input. Im sure SDN would love insight from a current student as well as former.
Haha Im glad you saw this thread, thank you for your reply! I appreciate your input , I agree with you on every aspect, when did you graduate ? dental or medical ? I started the program Fall 2014.

I am maintaining a 4.0 , Im gonna be honest it was challenging took a lot of time and effort. I had to develop new study habits but it all works at the end, I am pre dental did 21 on my DAT and got 6 different interviews. I got accepted to 2 and wait listed for 3 .

Awesome program! Very challenging, but it has enhanced my study skills which, of course, is very important in dental school. I am surrounded daily by goal-oriented students and also have supportive & encouraging professors. This has truly helped me since my first day in Jan 2015. I was accepted into my top choice school two weeks ago and will be graduating from Barry BMS this May. I definitely recommend it to everyone seeking a Master's program. No regrets! :D

Awesome program! Very challenging, but it has enhanced my study skills which, of course, is very important in dental school. I am surrounded daily by goal-oriented students and also have supportive & encouraging professors. This has truly helped me since my first day in Jan 2015. I was accepted into my top choice school two weeks ago and will be graduating from Barry BMS this May. I definitely recommend it to everyone seeking a Master's program. No regrets! :D
So happy to hear this! Congratulations!

Oral Pathology's being offered at Barry this semester, seems like an interesting course, for pre-dental students may even be helpful for future actual dental school

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This week Barry University is holding a meeting with Dr. Hal Lippman admission's dean at Nova Southeastern University (NSU) College of Dental Medicine. Good luck everyone!

It depends on the track that you get accepted in. I did the 2 year program. Started in August 2014 and graduate in May 2016.

This program truly prepares your for dental school/medical school. I have learned an entirely new way to study and can retain information that I will need in professional school. I can only speak for this program, but I do know that the curriculum is very similar to that of many professional schools.

Exams are every so often. Most classes have 3 exams some have 4 and they're very spread out. If there is a week where you have multiple exams, the professors are very understanding and often move the exams.

The hardest class in my opinion was Gross Anatomy but only because it was purely a course with a lot of information and anatomy is strictly memorization. Some other courses are only hard because of the exams being different than what students are used to.

The easiest class are usually the electives (Health Law and Ethics, or Immunology etc.). These classes are interesting but also good for future practitioners.

Most of the time it is all from Powerpoints by teachers, or Lecture Packets they post on the site. Some require textbooks but only if they're the actual author of the book.

They are both. Personally, I prefer an actual book, but ill often have the pdf version on hand just in case. They are usually easy to find online.

Grading system is letter grades.

Its definitely the culture where everyone helps each other out. You have multiple teaching assistants and they offer Student Ambassadors to help with study skills as well.

Most teachers, if not all will record their lectures using Lecture Capture, so if you miss a lecture you can usually watch it online.

Attendance is not mandatory but it also depends on the course. Some teachers take attendance for points but its entirely up to you to show up. In a graduate program, you are adults so its really up to you to attend and do well. It depends on the class as to how long. Two days a week are most classes and some are only one.

All teachers are very approachable. They are always willing to help you.

I honestly have no idea. I know that if you get 2 C's you cannot graduate.

There are Teaching Assistants for the classes as well as Student Ambassadors to help students who are struggling.

You definitely need to put forth the effort because its not an easy 4.0. Studying is definitely very important.

16. What are some characteristics of the top students in the program that set them apart from the rest?
Probably that they are always studying or involved in the program some way or another.

Most people study on campus, some go to NSU library or main campus, and some study at home on their own. It depends on the student and their preference.

Yes. Everyone is very social in the program.

19. What are your opinions on the location of the school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?
Its an okay area, but finding housing is not really an issue.

I honestly do not have any complaints about the program at all.

100%.
21. Any last words or advice?
This program is definitely looked at by many schools and is well worth it. I couldn't be more prepared for professional school.

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted into the dental track for this coming fall. If anyone else accepted needs a roommate, let me know!

Also, as far as part time jobs go, how many students typically hold a part time job while enrolled in the 2 yr program? And what are the most common side jobs held while enrolled?

This seems like an awesome program! Congrats to those who are attending and those who have graduated and moved on! I am getting my M.S. in Biology and following it with a PhD in Cell Biology but it is a part of the Biomedical Sciences department at a university.

Does Barry University allow their students to do research?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes they do. There is a research track that you can be on. I know a few people doing it and they absolutely love it!

I was accepted into the dental track for this coming fall. If anyone else accepted needs a roommate, let me know!

Also, as far as part time jobs go, how many students typically hold a part time job while enrolled in the 2 yr program? And what are the most common side jobs held while enrolled?

I can personally speak from experience. I worked 2 jobs while in the program. Some students do work, and they will usually work in the field they're in or at local stores.

I worked as a dental assistant and as an administrative assistant for a local company. Luckily, as an administrative assistant, I am able to study most of the time so it works out well. It honestly is all about balance. If you can handle it and manage time properly- it is absolutely possible to hold a job and do the program.

Good Luck! You are definitely going to love the program.

I can personally speak from experience. I worked 2 jobs while in the program. Some students do work, and they will usually work in the field they're in or at local stores.

I worked as a dental assistant and as an administrative assistant for a local company. Luckily, as an administrative assistant, I am able to study most of the time so it works out well. It honestly is all about balance. If you can handle it and manage time properly- it is absolutely possible to hold a job and do the program.

Good Luck! You are definitely going to love the program.

Great! How did you become a dental assistant? Did you need to go through a dental assisting program before applying for the job? Also, how many and what time do classes typically run during the day? I know that dental clinics are typically only open 7/8am-4/5pm, and I was worried about applying to dental office/lab jobs for that particular reason.

I actually was trained on the job in undergrad but when I moved back home, I needed to become certified. I took a course called "Expanded Functions" and I was certified. I also took a dental radiography course so I am legally able to take X-rays in the state. It was a one weekend course and taught me all that I already knew from the job but some things I wasn't clear on.

AS for the classes, it depends on the course. They change depending on the semester. This semester Gross Anatomy is Tuesdays and Thursdays in the morning (9 am I believe) and the lab is Mondays from 8-10 or 11-1. The schedule is very convenient in my opinion and it is still easy to work at a dental office. Some dentists will work with you as well so that helps. Sometimes classes are later in the day so you're able to work in the morning and attend class at night. Some offices are even open on the weekend which is definitely helpful especially in grad school.

It also depends on your schedule, for example if you are in one year program it maybe a little hard. But the good thing is most of the classes are during a few hours of week or one day and you will have the rest of the week to study and work. I am working two jobs right now and have two classes , it literally is taking all of my time but i am dedicated to do it.

This seems like an awesome program! Congrats to those who are attending and those who have graduated and moved on! I am getting my M.S. in Biology and following it with a PhD in Cell Biology but it is a part of the Biomedical Sciences department at a university.

Does Barry University allow their students to do research?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes BarryU offers lots of different research programs, it is also not limited to BMS program. I have helping my program director on his research program since last semester we are hoping to publish the paper soon.

Hi everyone! I was just accepted for the fall 2016 semester and I have a question on commuting. How many students commute a significant distance? I live about 35 minutes away from the Hollywood campus and was not sure if that would be too far to travel. I appreciate the help!

When do you need to apply by for fall 2016?

Hi everyone! I was just accepted for the fall 2016 semester and I have a question on commuting. How many students commute a significant distance? I live about 35 minutes away from the Hollywood campus and was not sure if that would be too far to travel. I appreciate the help!

If you decide you want to live in an apartment/condo closer to campus and need a roommate, let me know!

I know that at least half of students drive from South Miami which is roughly around 30-45 minutes drives, the only problem in Miami is the traffic which is really heavy during rush hours, if you get caught in one you may even spend up to an hour in traffic! Normally classes end way before the rush hour so you will escape the craziness, which area will you be living exactly ?

If you decide you want to live in an apartment/condo closer to campus and need a roommate, let me know!
Thanks! I definitely will once I decide what I will do. :)

I know that at least half of students drive from South Miami which is roughly around 30-45 minutes drives, the only problem in Miami is the traffic which is really heavy during rush hours, if you get caught in one you may even spend up to an hour in traffic! Normally classes end way before the rush hour so you will escape the craziness, which area will you be living exactly ?
Trust me, I'm a Miami native so traffic was the first thing that came to my mind! I live near Miami International Airport. But its good to know that there are other students who have done the drive before, especially from South Miami.

Thanks! I definitely will once I decide what I will do. :)

Trust me, I'm a Miami native so traffic was the first thing that came to my mind! I live near Miami International Airport. But its good to know that there are other students who have done the drive before, especially from South Miami.
Haha I totally feel you! I had to drop a friend to MIA on Saturday which actually going there wasn't bad at all but coming North on 95 was tough! lol, I have a few friends coming from Coral Gables as well! and one friend from Palm Beach!

I drive from Palm Beach, and its not bad at all. Takes about 30-40 minutes.

Any accepted students....Do you know when you will be applying to Dental School, or did you apply this cycle?

What is the average GPA of the applicants to this program ? My current undergrad GPA is really low! Do I even have a chance to get any acceptance to a dental school ?

What is the average GPA of the applicants to this program ? My current undergrad GPA is really low! Do I even have a chance to get any acceptance to a dental school ?
One needs to have at 3.0 GPA to be normally accepted. However, the have accepted a few students with above 2.80 in some cases with a better MCAT/GRE/DAT scores with good recommendation letters ( including myself!) .

Is it your first time applying ?

My undergraduate gpa is not high at all but I am doing well in the program and am headed to Dental School in the fall. You learn how to study better in this program and you have a better appreciation for your studies since this is truly the last thing you can do to gain acceptance. I also applied to Dental School 4 times so don't give up! this program definitely is worth it.

For the people who have been accepted for Fall 2016, how long after submitting your application did you hear back?

For the people who have been accepted for Fall 2016, how long after submitting your application did you hear back?
This depends. About 25 students were offered admission by December 1st in 2015. A quite a few were interviewed in September itself. So, it depends on your application

This depends. About 25 students were offered admission by December 1st in 2015. A quite a few were interviewed in September itself. So, it depends on your application

For the one year biomedical science masters program?

For the one year biomedical science masters program?
I think the best way to find out is to contact Barry, if you go to Barry.edu/bms then you can go to directory tab and look for emails or phone numbers, I know "Ms Pamela Johnson" is the person in charge of applications, I'm pretty sure she will be able to give you a status update of your application.

What is the average DAT of people who get accepted to Barry ?

What is the average DAT of people who get accepted to Barry ?
They suggest an 18 on DAT but you have a better gpa or good recommendation letter they will really helpful, they also look at your application a whole so every factor counts, best is to keep communicating with the admissions, when are you applying ?

They suggest an 18 on DAT but you have a better gpa or good recommendation letter they will really helpful, they also look at your application a whole so every factor counts, best is to keep communicating with the admissions, when are you applying ?
Is it too late to apply for Fall semester ?

How many students are excepted into the Biomedical Sciences M.S.?

How many students are excepted into the Biomedical Sciences M.S.?
I wouldn't know exactly but it's typically between 80-90 however it changes a little bit every year due to various factors.