Barry University Master of Sciences Biomedical Sciences 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBizz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread for this yet, so I decided to start one. Did anybody else get in? I got into the 1 year track!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I got into the 1 year track too. Still keeping my options open, but I'm glad that I've been accepted!

haha yeah same here. I'm still waiting on both Midwesterns, UMDNJ, BU MAMS oral healths track, and also Western

Members don't see this ad :)
dang.....this sounds like a horrible situation. If you don't mind me asking MDI, did the program help you at all? Did you get into Med school? Even before reading that thread you posted, Barry was my last choice because some of my friends say that its not that great of a program. Now after reading that thread, im not sure i would attend even if it's the only program i got accepted into.

How long did it take them to get back to you. I sent my application yesterday.

How long did it take them to get back to you. I sent my application yesterday.

after i had everything in, it took them like a week to get back to me. A lady called me and told me I got accepted into the program. I also received an email shortly after the call

Didn't see a thread for this yet, so I decided to start one. Did anybody else get in? I got into the 1 year track!

hey guys,
I got accepted into the BMS program for this fall 2012. I actually started the program during the 08-09 term but plan on finishing it up to basically earn the M.S. degree, so just wondering who else is planning on the 18 mo track or thinkin about pursuing this Barry program.

IMHO, it was a pretty solid program when I was there, I hear about these changes from graduated friends, but truly hoping for the best with all the changes. My feeling is, if you are a persistent student, get your A's, and pay attention to timelines for prof schools, things may work in your favor. I was on the optometry track and got accepted half way through the BMS program, but needless to say my situation didn't turn out as I anticipated. Long story.

Anyways, just seeing if anyone is interested in living together or looking for a roommate or something. I lived in Aventura when I was there and it was a great location, but almost like 20 mins from school. Don't know how these changes will affect the drive though. Please PM me or email at [email protected] to discuss further if interested. FYI ... I'm a guy from Maryland, looking for a chill, clean, friendly guy roommate. Let me know. Thanks all.

I will be starting the 1 year track in the fall, and am currently doing my prereqs in the Post Bacc program, and taking the MCAT in Aug. There seem to be several threads talking about the downfall of this program, so I just want to say that they have a new program director, and they definitely have a Gross Anatomy prof.

So far at Barry, I have found my professors are genuinely available and willing to discuss problems or give suggestions. I know the class sizes are larger for the BMS program than the undergrad classes, so that might limit the personal connections. I think how much you get out of the program has a lot to do with how much effort you put in (like basically everything in life...).

I will be starting the 1 year track in the fall, and am currently doing my prereqs in the Post Bacc program, and taking the MCAT in Aug. There seem to be several threads talking about the downfall of this program, so I just want to say that they have a new program director, and they definitely have a Gross Anatomy prof.

So far at Barry, I have found my professors are genuinely available and willing to discuss problems or give suggestions. I know the class sizes are larger for the BMS program than the undergrad classes, so that might limit the personal connections. I think how much you get out of the program has a lot to do with how much effort you put in (like basically everything in life...).

Thanks for the new info. Do you know if the public transportation around the area is any good? I noticed that traveling via bus from campus to campus takes like an hour...

Miami and surrounding areas are not so great for public transportation, you pretty much need a car. Or a roommate in the program with a car. Fortunately, I believe they're trying to work out the scheduling of classes so that you never have to be on two campuses in one day. I'm not sure how well that worked for the current semester, but hopefully that's how it will be set up in the fall.

Miami and surrounding areas are not so great for public transportation, you pretty much need a car. Or a roommate in the program with a car. Fortunately, I believe they're trying to work out the scheduling of classes so that you never have to be on two campuses in one day. I'm not sure how well that worked for the current semester, but hopefully that's how it will be set up in the fall.

I emailed the school and was told that most (if not all) of the classes will be at the Hollywood campus but nothing about being at 2 campuses in one day

Members don't see this ad :)
haha yeah same here. I'm still waiting on both Midwesterns, UMDNJ, BU MAMS oral healths track, and also Western

TheBizz, since your last post, have you hear back from any of the other schools?

I just got accepted into Barry's 1-year program, but I, too, am waiting to hear back from BU, UMDNJ, Midwestern and SFSU (post-bacc).

Are any of you per-dental? I'm still waiting on 7 dental schools as well as the four other masters programs, but it was certainly a good feeling when I read Barry's acceptance email.

Congratualtions to all of you! At least we are all one step closer to achieving our dreams of pursuing a profession in the health-care industry! It's something to be proud of :D

If anyone has any info on BU, UMDNJ, Midwestern (masters in biomed program) or SFSU's post-bacc program please let me know. Thanks!!

TheBizz, since your last post, have you hear back from any of the other schools?

I just got accepted into Barry's 1-year program, but I, too, am waiting to hear back from BU, UMDNJ, Midwestern and SFSU (post-bacc).

Are any of you per-dental? I'm still waiting on 7 dental schools as well as the four other masters programs, but it was certainly a good feeling when I read Barry's acceptance email.

Congratualtions to all of you! At least we are all one step closer to achieving our dreams of pursuing a profession in the health-care industry! It's something to be proud of :D

If anyone has any info on BU, UMDNJ, Midwestern (masters in biomed program) or SFSU's post-bacc program please let me know. Thanks!!

I actually did get into some other schools. I got into UMDNJ (newark campus) and MWU-Downers grove. I have a phone interview with the MWU- glendale tomorrow and also was invited for an interview at western that will be on March 28th but I have yet to hear from BU. I am also pre-dental.

I actually did get into some other schools. I got into UMDNJ (newark campus) and MWU-Downers grove. I have a phone interview with the MWU- glendale tomorrow and also was invited for an interview at western that will be on March 28th but I have yet to hear from BU. I am also pre-dental.

Oh wow! Congrats!! I just submitted all my apps over the last two weeks so hopefully I hear something soon. Is your interview with Western for their dental school or a masters program? And, if you don't mind me asking, are you a California resident?
I'm from NJ and did research at UMDNJ. It's a great program according to a lot of my friends who went through it, but the campus area is awful. I'm also a bit turned off by the idea that the masters program is not linked with their dental school.
Good luck with your interviews, btw!

Got accepted into Barry's 1 year track. I also got accepted to UMDNJ-stratford and still waiting for TouroCOM-NY.

Sent in my application a while back, they're just waiting on my MCAT scores now. I agree with hrsraddish, the program is what you make of it. They're going through some transitions now but they seem very helpful so far in answering all my questions and reassuring me that they'll take care of me. Hopefully I'll start in the fall with some of you guys :D

Hello! Does anyone know what the class schedule is for the 18 month program? Evening classes?
I am interested in applying to Barry's program but I would like to know if I will be able to work while in the program.

Thank you!

Doesnt sound like you take many classes. you should be able to. i think its your discretion

Does anyone know the class schedule for a typical semester?

I was also accepted to the one year track this fall, 2012. A sample schedule is on the website under the one year track link. It is a sample but I was told it was fairly similar to what our real schedule will look like. Looking forward to getting started and meeting everyone in sunny Miami!

I saw it. The times are in the afternoon/evening. Once a week classes except physiology. Looks pretty good

Hey for those of you guys that already got accepted, how long did it take Barry to make their decision after receiving you sent in all the necessary material?

Is Barry a good option for do potential students. I am accepted to pcom but I was thinking of staying for Barry since I live in Florida. But I see all the negative remarks about this program.

For those that have been accepted, have you heard anything in regards to class schedule? start date? Financial aid info? etc?

For those that have been accepted, have you heard anything in regards to class schedule? start date? Financial aid info? etc?

I called up the admissions office to get information on upcoming deposits etc. I was told that they are still working on filling open seats, and that we will receive a full package in the mail with all the detailed info we need to know sometime in July time. I was also told not to plan any family trips or anything in August since we will have to be in Miami area and moved in etc by then. I don't know exactly when classes will start, but I am assuming orientation will be sometime mid August.

Also, there is a sample class schedule on the Barry site that gives you a good idea of what to expect. Their site is pretty straight forward, and I feel like the faculty have been very helpful and willing to help. I am still torn between UMDNJ (I am a NJ resident) and Barry. Both programs are great, but I think I am leaning towards Barry because of the small class sizes.

Hey i just got into the 1 year track. Anyone start looking for places to live around Hollywood, Fl? Also is there a FB group started yet?

• Information
  • Most of your classes will be at the Hollywood campus, including most labs. If you are required to take any provisional classes you will need to go to Miami Shores.
  • The program has solved the gross/head and neck anatomy professor issue. They have a new professor who is teaching both pharmacology and anatomy.
  • Labs are at the Hollywood campus. Histology lab is computer based. Neuroanatomy is models, pictures, and MRI images. Physiology is largerly computer based. Anatomy uses models, but there are prosected cadaver viewings in the podiatry cadaver lab at Miami Shores. Lab times will also move around a bit, so stay flexible.
  • I suggest finding a place to live in North Miami Beach, Aventura, Sunny Isles, Hallendale, Pembrook Pines, or Hollywood. The drive from Miami Shores campus to the Hollywood campus on the I-95 is 15 minutes or more depending on traffic, which there is always traffic.
  • Suggestions
  • The program will do little to help you improve your MCAT/DAT score, so if that is your primary reason for attending you should look elsewhere.
  • Barry will improve your science gpa if you plan on taking it seriously. The professors will not give you grades, so be prepared to work if you do come here. It is possible to get a 4.0, however.
  • Stay on top of your application cycles and plan accordingly which program you enter at Barry (1 year or others). As a 1 year, you can choose to change to the 18 month or 2 year if you decide you need more time.
  • Study space at the Hollywood campus is limited, so make sure your residence has space. The library in Hollywood is okay, but I suggest going to main campus. Barry is looking into acquiring more space to house student study areas.
  • Bring a laptop and printer. There is no printing available on the BMS campus.
  • Make sure you get your access to MyBarry, Web Advisor, and Blackboard setup as soon as possible. It is best to go to the Miami Shores campus (Garner Building) and have IT do it for you (and contacting Marline once registered). This will save you a headache once classes begin.
  • You will not need to go to Main campus for you student ID and parking decal, but it will save you time if you go to Landon and take care of it as soon as you are registered.
Good luck to you all

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who got accepted into the Barry BMS Program! I just finished in the 1-Year track, and if anyone needs any info, feel free to contact me. Also, i am selling some of my books for Histology and Neuroanatomy and well as some of my furniture. If anyone is interested please send me a message for pricing. They are all in new condition.

I know the program helped me and a lot of my friends get accepted into dental/medical school. But definitely had to work hard to get good grades. 4.0 is very doable! Once again, Congrats and Good luck.

Also, I have old material for a few of the classes! I know it took me forever to find all the old material. So if anyone is interested in buying the books from me, I can include this stuff with it.

Once again, Congrats and GOOD LUCK :-D

i'm totally new to SDN this is my first post :)

Congrats to everyone that was accepted! I will admit that they haven't been sending out much info and most things I found out from talking to other students or just emailing people directly. Flor and Marline are pretty good about getting back to me whenever I have questions.

The first classes are 8/27 and orientation is 8/24 - just one day and we would register for classes then from what i've been told.
One of my friends just graduated and she showed me a screen shot of the classes for fall and for the most part they are all afternoon and evenings once a week. i will try to attach that to this post.
I'm doing the 18mth program -so i'm not sure for the 1year program -

Fin Aid- I filled out my FAFSA but didn't hear anything back so a few weeks later I just sent a message through the MyBarry site to Financial Aid and they emailed me back with the information.

Housing - I'm looking to room with someone :) i"ve been looking in Hollywood, Pembroke Pines, Hallandale and Davie for a place where someone is looking for a roommate. But i'd be open to getting a new place with another student too.

see u guys in a couple mths :thumbup:

Attachments

• fall2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 171
  • fall3.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 117
  • fall1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 118
i'm totally new to SDN this is my first post :)

Congrats to everyone that was accepted! I will admit that they haven't been sending out much info and most things I found out from talking to other students or just emailing people directly. Flor and Marline are pretty good about getting back to me whenever I have questions.

The first classes are 8/27 and orientation is 8/24 - just one day and we would register for classes then from what i've been told.
One of my friends just graduated and she showed me a screen shot of the classes for fall and for the most part they are all afternoon and evenings once a week. i will try to attach that to this post.
I'm doing the 18mth program -so i'm not sure for the 1year program -

Fin Aid- I filled out my FAFSA but didn't hear anything back so a few weeks later I just sent a message through the MyBarry site to Financial Aid and they emailed me back with the information.

Housing - I'm looking to room with someone :) i"ve been looking in Hollywood, Pembroke Pines, Hallandale and Davie for a place where someone is looking for a roommate. But i'd be open to getting a new place with another student too.

see u guys in a couple mths :thumbup:
For those of you doing the 18 month, when are you applying to med/dental school? I plan on starting in the fall but I am also doing med apps. If I get into the 18 month, what should I do?? Just apply next summer instead?

For those of you doing the 18 month, when are you applying to med/dental school? I plan on starting in the fall but I am also doing med apps. If I get into the 18 month, what should I do?? Just apply next summer instead?

I plan on applying to dental school next summer, after a year of grad school under my belt :)
That way when I'm done with the program I would hopefully know where I would be headed for dental school *hopefully* :D

Hey guys!

This is my first post!
Congrats to those who got accepted. Barry should be receiving my DAT scores in about 4 weeks. I hope it's not too late to be considered for the program! What do you guys think my chances are? I'm really nervous. How long after you guys sent everything did you receive a decision letter?

I also applied to Midwestern. How long to they take to send a decision letter too?

Hey guys!

This is my first post!
Congrats to those who got accepted. Barry should be receiving my DAT scores in about 4 weeks. I hope it's not too late to be considered for the program! What do you guys think my chances are? I'm really nervous. How long after you guys sent everything did you receive a decision letter?

I also applied to Midwestern. How long to they take to send a decision letter too?

Don't know how long it will take to hear back, but as someone said previously, "if you are breathing and have a transcript they will take you." I was accepted before my application was even complete. I think it's just a matter of whether you'll be accepted into the 1 year or 18 month track.

I'd hold out for Midwestern.

I guess I'll wait it out. The one thing about Midwestern I didn't like with the program is that it is for a Masters of Arts. Barry offers a Masters of Science which I feel is a little more valuable don't you think?
I could be wrong. I guess in the end, I would choose the shorter program so I can finally apply to dental school! Time flies and I don't want to graduate as a dentist too old.

Don't know how long it will take to hear back, but as someone said previously, "if you are breathing and have a transcript they will take you." I was accepted before my application was even complete. I think it's just a matter of whether you'll be accepted into the 1 year or 18 month track.

I'd hold out for Midwestern.

Last edited:
I just got my acceptance email!! (1 year track).

congrats!! :D when was your application complete? My application was complete about 3 weeks ago and I still haven't heard anything yet :scared:

I guess I'll wait it out. The one thing about Midwestern I didn't like with the program is that it is for a Masters of Arts. Barry offers a Masters of Science which I feel is a little more valuable don't you think?
I could be wrong. I guess in the end, I would choose the shorter program so I can finally apply to dental school! Time flies and I don't want to graduate as a dentist too old.

Master of Arts in Biomedical Science vs. Master of Biomedical Science.... It's arbitrary. As long as the curriculum is similar, the title means the same thing. If your stats are strong, then Barry might except you into the one year, but many go into the 18 month. As far as I know, Midwestern's program is always a year. Are you planning to applying to dental school this fall?

Roughly 2-3 weeks ago. Good luck!!
I got accepted to Barry's 1 yr MS Biomed program this week as well. My application had been completed for about 4 weeks or so. I also got in the Rush U in Chicago, Colorado State, and am waiting to hear back from Midwestern's MA program. I'm hoping for Midwestern, truthfully. If anyone hear's back from Midwestern, please share the news. When I had the phone interview, the prof. said that the admissions committee was meeting that afternoon so it "could be a couple of days before you hear anything." That was exactly a week ago. If you have news, do share! I'm gunnin for MWU-MA then MWU CDM!

Hey everyone, Dr. Coffman and I created a facebook group for the incoming students. here is the link. https://www.facebook.com/groups/396342120424058/. btw Dr. Coffman is our program director and he has a facebook profile that you can friend. its Biomedical Sciences BarryUniversity. Looking forward to meeting everyone in the Fall

got into the 1 year track! woop woop! :D