Barry University Master of Sciences Biomedical Sciences 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's up everybody? I have a seat in the program starting this fall and I'm looking for a roommate/place to live. If anybody is in the same boat, let me know. I'm on the dental track and looking for a clean roommate(s) who's serious about studying; looking forward to meeting you all!

Members don't see this ad.

hi where r u staying at? n how much is rent? could u let me know please?

Hi, could anyone give me advice on choosing between the two programs?

I got accepted into the 1 year Biomed Sci Masters program at Barry and the Advanced Biomed Sci (ABS) at George Mason. Which program would you guys choose?

I live in Virginia so it would be ideal to go to Mason but the ABS program is only a certificate whereas Barry offers a Master's in ONE year!

Im very indecisive right now. Could somebody help me decide please?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I have been accepted into the 1-year program starting this Fall and I would like to find a roommate to live with for the year. If anybody is interested please let me know. I look forward to having a good year and meeting everybody. See y'all in August!

from what ive been told by realtors, rent for a 2/2 in the hollywood area is around 1400-1600 for something decent. I'm sure there are less expensive options, just not sure where

I will be starting the 1 year track in the fall, and am currently doing my prereqs in the Post Bacc program, and taking the MCAT in Aug. There seem to be several threads talking about the downfall of this program, so I just want to say that they have a new program director, and they definitely have a Gross Anatomy prof.

So far at Barry, I have found my professors are genuinely available and willing to discuss problems or give suggestions. I know the class sizes are larger for the BMS program than the undergrad classes, so that might limit the personal connections. I think how much you get out of the program has a lot to do with how much effort you put in (like basically everything in life...).
Hey,

What do you think about the new director, Jonathan Coffman? How's the new Anatomy program? Do we get to see real cadavers?

The Anatomy course is divided into a Head and Neck portion and a Gross Anatomy portion. All students start with Head and Neck to accommodate students on the dental track. Some students find this makes the course challenging since H&N tends to be one of the more difficult areas of the body.

There are opportunities to study with cadavers, but the bodies are prosected. Last semester, there were two lab sessions lasting three hours each in the cadaver lab under the guidance of Dr. Singh. I know the program is working on increasing the number of labs in the cadaver lab, but I do not know how many there will be at the moment. In addition, anatomy is generally offered as a second semester course to students, though it has changed in the past depending on your track. Most labs will utilize models, Netter's Anatomy, and computer study aids.

I will have to check, but most entering fall semester students will take Biochemistry 1, Histology (and/or Neuroanatomy), and Health Law and Ethics. Again, the course order sometimes changes, so I am not 100 percent positive that this is correct for you.

As for housing, I assume the price of rentals should be lower in West Hollywood. You might also find a decent place in the Miami Gardens, Aventura, Pembrook Pines, and North Miami Beach areas. Most current students still study on the main Barry campus in Miami Shores. If you have a vehicle, I suggest living somewhere closer to main campus since you will spend more time studying than actually attending classes.

http://www.barry.edu/offcampushousing/

hey y'all just received my official acceptance letter through the mail. Anyone else received it yet?

Hey guys!

I just found out i got accepted to barry's 2 year track program yesterday and need to find a place to live! Does anyone need a roommate or know someone who needs one? I am a female.

Thanks guys!

Hey guys!

I just found out i got accepted to barry's 2 year track program yesterday and need to find a place to live! Does anyone need a roommate or know someone who needs one? I am a female.

Thanks guys!
how long did it take you to find out?

Hey guys!

Thanks guys!

Congrats!

I found my place and roommate on Roommates.com - good luck finding someone :)

Does anyone know how much tuition is for the program. I'm about to ask for a loan and need to know how much the tuition+fees are to see how much I'm going to loan. thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I had emailed someone in fin.aid and this is what they sent me. Hope it helps!

Attachments

• BMS COA 2012.docx
    51.4 KB · Views: 158
thanks guys! really appreciate it! :D

sorry guys...kinda random but anyone still looking for a roommate? pretty serious considering classes start aug 27 and orientation is aug 24....def trying to save on costs. please let me know...contact me at [email protected] if interested. i'm a guy, from Maryland, laid back, but study hard.

thanks everyone

sorry guys...kinda random but anyone still looking for a roommate? pretty serious considering classes start aug 27 and orientation is aug 24....def trying to save on costs. please let me know...contact me at [email protected] if interested. i'm a guy, from Maryland, laid back, but study hard.

thanks everyone

I would suggest emailing or calling Dr. Coffman, the program director. He has been working to find potential apartment rentals for students. He might be able to put you in contact with another student who is also looking for a roommate or suggest some rentals to you.

Best of luck!

Hey everyone! Is anyone in the actual postbac as opposed to the Masters program... It seems like you all are Masters candidates and I am the lone postbacc-er. Lol

If any other postbac students are out there can anyone tell me how much it costs for the program? I recieved my email from Dr. Coffman but it's not too detailed. Any info is appreciated.

Since we can borrow to cover living expenses, does anyone know when we would receive that money?

I would encourage you to contact the Barry University main number and ask for the Financial Aid Office. There you should be directed to either a post-baccalaureate or graduate student financial aid counselor. They should be able to give you a better idea of when the money disperses into your account.

Hey everyone! Is anyone in the actual postbac as opposed to the Masters program... It seems like you all are Masters candidates and I am the lone postbacc-er. Lol

If any other postbac students are out there can anyone tell me how much it costs for the program? I recieved my email from Dr. Coffman but it's not too detailed. Any info is appreciated.

I did the postbacc last year, and am starting the Masters this fall. I believe I paid around $6000 per semester. Definitely nicer than Barry's undergrad tuition of $14,000 per semester! Sadly, if you're doing only the undergrad classes, you probably won't see much of the BMS students, as we'll be on different campuses.

Hey everyone! I got accepted as well to the program does anyone know if there is a facebook page for us that are starting this semester? IM SUPER EXCITED :p

Hey everyone! I got accepted as well to the program does anyone know if there is a facebook page for us that are starting this semester? IM SUPER EXCITED :p

There is a FB group : Barry biomedical sciences fall 2012 :)

I sent the FB request but I havent been allowed in the FB group yet.. do you know if its only the people entering this fall?

Hey! I decided to defer from the program and I have a GREAT room to sublease. It's a 2/2 within three blocks from the hollywood site in a newer, safe, and clean condo complex. The roommate is also a predent in the biomedical masters program. Let me know if you're interested.

For those of you who started this program this past fall, what do you think of it so far? I just got accepted for Spring 2013 so i'm wondering if all the negative feedback about Barry is true...any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

For those of you who started this program this past fall, what do you think of it so far? I just got accepted for Spring 2013 so i'm wondering if all the negative feedback about Barry is true...any pointers would be greatly appreciated!
I just got accepted for the Spring term as well.... I'm just worried about the housing.... I really wished they had on campus housing being that I'm not from Florida. I'm from Birmingham!!!

Hey guys I was accepted into the 18month track for this upcoming spring i.e. January 2013. I wanted to have an idea of how the classes are set up. Like how many classes? Evening? morning? will i be able to work a full time job? Please help!!

I just found out i was accepted for the spring 2013 too...now i am kinda iffy based on the comments about the program falling off track

Hey guys I was accepted into the 18month track for this upcoming spring i.e. January 2013. I wanted to have an idea of how the classes are set up. Like how many classes? Evening? morning? will i be able to work a full time job? Please help!!

Classes are a mixture of morning/afternoon/evening. It is not recommended to work. I would def say no to a full time job wouldn't be possible with the classes and workload.

Classes are a mixture of morning/afternoon/evening. It is not recommended to work. I would def say no to a full time job wouldn't be possible with the classes and workload.
Are you still attending the institute? Or are you currently transporting to Dental School? Is there on campus housing? And Is there truth to the program going down the pipe?

O wow.Thanks!!
I was accepted into the 18 month track as well, but I'm debating if I should just do a Masters program here back at home because I'm already hoping to get into one of the greatest Dental Schools there is UAB.... I really don't want to pay out of state fees especially if the program has gone bad....

Are you still attending the institute? Or are you currently transporting to Dental School? Is there on campus housing? And Is there truth to the program going down the pipe?

Yup I'm still there. I'm in my first semester. There is no campus housing for grad students. I found a place through roommates.com but many others found places through the realtors recommended by the program.
I don't think the program is going down the pipe. The classes are definitely good prep for medical/dental school, in my opinion.
Also from what I've been told from different schools, the program is known. I heard about it from an advisor at UMDB's dental school, who recommended it as a good prep especially if you have things you need to work on like a low GPA or DAT/MCAT scores.

Yup I'm still there. I'm in my first semester. There is no campus housing for grad students. I found a place through roommates.com but many others found places through the realtors recommended by the program.
I don't think the program is going down the pipe. The classes are definitely good prep for medical/dental school, in my opinion.
Also from what I've been told from different schools, the program is known. I heard about it from an advisor at UMDB's dental school, who recommended it as a good prep especially if you have things you need to work on like a low GPA or DAT/MCAT scores.
What are some good areas to stay in?? ... I'm not really looking forward to moving in the hood lol I want to stay in a nice area no trouble but not too far from the school.... I have a car....I really don't want to do a roommate because I'm very picky when it come to roommates... I was an only child .... I can't share nothing! So... I'm pretty sure I can manage in that area... Do you know of any furnished ones? And so far how are you doing with your studies?? Are classes everyday?

Hey Everyone!

I am going to be attending this program this upcoming spring (Jan 2013). I'm coming from out of state and am in the process of looking for places to live.. I've been in contact with one of the realtors from the list that the school gave us, and he has sent me a list of 1 and 2 bedroom apartments. So I was wondering if anyone (female) was still looking for a roommate (female) and would possibly like to live together. If you're interested PM me!

Last edited:
Hey everybody I am new to this site and I will be preparing to attend Barry this Summer and I will be relocating I was wondering if anyone is looking for a female roommate or a subleaser for the summer. I am looking for somewhere I could move to for the summer and the 2013-2014 school year. Just let me know if you know of anyone that is currently looking for a roomie

Hello! Has anyone else been accepted for the fall 2013 term for the 1 year track? If so, any females looking for a roommate?

Hello! I am also looking for a female roommate! Have you found any other pages for this program's upcoming fall semester?

Hey guys, I was just recently accepted to Barry's 1year track program (dental) and am looking for classmates, study buddies, old material, and/or anything to help.

For the people confirmed to attend Barry in the Fall, what made you decide to go despite all the bad reviews/posts out there about Barry (I know there are some good posts about the program too but the bad posts seem to be a lot more).

I just got my acceptance and am scared to attend due to everything I've read.

I was also wondering if this program/school is as ****ty as people say it is. If you attended, please give us the lowdown. Thanks.

Hello all,
Just curious if it is mandatory to have the GRE/DAT/MCAT under your belt to be admitted to any of the Biomedical Science programs? I was planning on taking the exam upon completion of the MS.

Thank you.

For the people confirmed to attend Barry in the Fall, what made you decide to go despite all the bad reviews/posts out there about Barry (I know there are some good posts about the program too but the bad posts seem to be a lot more).

I just got my acceptance and am scared to attend due to everything I've read.

I believe most of the negative reviews are from undergrads that were looking for a "party town" University. Most of the negative reviews I have come across are from undergrads that are looking for a hectic social life. Barry is a Private Catholic School... If you want to party don't go to a Catholic school.
Although there are some legit negative remarks such as safety and security on the main campus, the dates from the posts are about 2-3 years ago. The more recent posts seem to have changes that are being made by the school to help their reputation (Undergraduate). As for me, I plan to attend Barry's Master program for 1 year so I wouldn't mind. But I am also aware that the main campus is surrounded by the "ghetto". This is not unusual as most schools in California are. I, myself, come from an underprivileged community; so I do know not to put myself in bad situations.

Overall: What I have gathered is that Barry is trying to make positive changes to the program with the recent fallout of a good professor leaving. A post I read said the new program Director is more than willing to help and more importantly, willing to listen to students on how to make the program better. I believe the program will be in good condition and trending towards getting better.

I am a male looking for a roommate for Fall of 2013. I plan to study, do my time and apply to Medical School the same year. I have no gender preference on roommates although I do plan to have my own room.

After you send in all the paperwork, including the résumé, they take about 2 weeks.

Hello!

Do you remember where you were able to view the courses and their times prior to registering? I'm having trouble finding them for Fall 2013.

Hello!

Do you remember where you were able to view the courses and their times prior to registering? I'm having trouble finding them for Fall 2013.
I was told you can only register after orientation in August.

Hey everyone! I got admission to the Barry MS BMS program for the 18mo-2yr track. Please is there any input to tell me how classes have gone so far with the students being in this track of the program? I have heard a mix of good and bad reviews, I am a hard-working and dedicated student who is willing to do the impossible to get into med school. I am considering to go to BU for med school. Haven't taken my MCAT yet but I will be preparing for it soon. I also have gotten in the TCMC MBS program for this upcoming year. I just want to have as much information as I can have to make a good decision to go for school this year. Thank you in advanced!