Barry University or any South Florida schools?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTfromSD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back from Barry University ?! It is one of my top choices due to it being a weekend program, if anyone is attending Barry or any other south florida school what are you planning to do for your living situation ? Because if i do get in, I will be movin from California eeek!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the deadline for Barry is April 1st, so I would assume a couple weeks after that they would start notifying students. I'm also applying there (still doing the application lol). Good luck!

hey, i just wanted to let ya know that they do accept on a rolling basis, so dont wait to get all your stuff in ! :) the office manager informed me that they are already reviewing packets and preparing to send out some decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey OTfromSD,

I saw on another forum that you were accepted to Barry. Congratulations! That is wonderful :) I just submitted my application (a little late..). Can I ask how they informed you of your acceptance? Letter? Phone? I am hoping to hear in the next few weeks (fingers crossed). In any case, congrats again and I hope to meet you in the Fall.

Marya

hey marya!

Thank you very much! i am soo excited. As far as hearing back , I constantly check "MyBarry" and my application status on there. That changed first from we have received your application to congrats. But then i received a huge packet in the mail just a couple days after. Im all the way out in california so keep in mind that could have been the reason i got the mailing second ha.

Has anyone else heard back from Barry University? If so, how long did you have to wait for their admission decision? Thanks! Good luck to everyone :)

Has anyone else heard back from Barry University? If so, how long did you have to wait for their admission decision? Thanks! Good luck to everyone :)

I am not sure if you heard from them after your application. I was offered an interview but decided to turn it down. That was mid-March. They were difficult to get a hold of.

I retract this comment. I meant Howard University, my brain was not working. :)

Congrats to everyone.

Last edited:
I am not sure if you heard from them after your application. I was offered an interview but decided to turn it down. That was mid-March. They were difficult to get a hold of.

Thanks for the reply. I last heard that my application was sent for review on March 10. I will keep on waiting :)

I received an acceptance letter today from Barry!!! I am so happy :) Good luck to everyone else waiting on schools. I hope all your dreams come true.

Congrats!! I was accepted too! How exciting! Have you taken kinesiology? I have to take it now this summer =)

ya i was a kinesiology major ! lemme know how the class is this summer though, are u from south florida ?

Congrats!! I was accepted too! How exciting! Have you taken kinesiology? I have to take it now this summer =)

Congrats to you!! :) No, I haven't taken kinesiology. I was planning on taking it at Barry this summer. You? I'd love to find a school where it is less expensive, but no luck yet. At least it will be fun meeting some classmates ahead of time :)

Congrats to you!! :) No, I haven't taken kinesiology. I was planning on taking it at Barry this summer. You? I'd love to find a school where it is less expensive, but no luck yet. At least it will be fun meeting some classmates ahead of time :)

Thank you. Yes, I agree, I wish I could also find a school where it would be less expensive. I'm just grateful and ecstatic to be starting soon! Nice to meet you! :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there! I will let you know how it goes. Yes, I'm from Miami :)

excellent ! mayra has already given me plenty of helpful advice but if you have anymore for me , im all ears! Im moving from san diego! eek ! but im so incredibly excited. actually will be there at the end of this month to start looking into places etc and im going to visit the school again.

excellent ! mayra has already given me plenty of helpful advice but if you have anymore for me , im all ears! Im moving from san diego! eek ! but im so incredibly excited. actually will be there at the end of this month to start looking into places etc and im going to visit the school again.

Wow, you're coming a long way from San Diego! That's dedication :thumbup: Let me know any questions you may have & I might be able to help you with them. I've lived here all my life and I love it. I hope you have a great time down here as well =) :)

Hey guys!
So my visit to miami was awesome , my flight leaves today and I am so bummed. First of all in terms of living situation I looked around at some areas and I really like sunny isles , northbay village and brickell any thoughts either pros or cons on those areas?

On to the school... I wanna say to all of us congrats again woo!! Because I went and spoke with lisa and saw some of our facilities and they have accepted 39 students this year had a record amount of applicants and still have a waitlist! The school is very pretty. Overall I'm very excited. Are either of you taking the summer course?

Hey guys!
So my visit to miami was awesome , my flight leaves today and I am so bummed. First of all in terms of living situation I looked around at some areas and I really like sunny isles , northbay village and brickell any thoughts either pros or cons on those areas?

On to the school... I wanna say to all of us congrats again woo!! Because I went and spoke with lisa and saw some of our facilities and they have accepted 39 students this year had a record amount of applicants and still have a waitlist! The school is very pretty. Overall I'm very excited. Are either of you taking the summer course?

As far as your living situation is concerned, the only area I'm familiar with out of the 3 is Brickell. The pros of Brickell is basically the location. There is so much to do there and it is a lovely area. You're close to the beach and to downtown. You will definitely never be bored because there is so much to do. I'm sure school will keep you busy enough either way :). The cons would be the expense of living in that area, as I hear it it is very expensive to live in the area. Another con would be the traffic. Brickell is the business central in Miami, so during rush hour it can get a little overwhelming. The drive from Brickell to Barry isn't so bad either. They're not too far from each other. It's a great option in my opinion.

I'm taking the kinesiology class this summer, starting on the 14th. I wanted to ask if anyone has seen on their to-do list, the purchasing of student health insurance?

Hello OTfrom SD, I read that you were interested in Miami areas..
I can tell you that Sunny isles is a pretty good location due to its convenient stores all over. If you live in Sunny Isles, you are probably at walking distance of a grocery store, pharmacy and a starbucks . Barry is not that close from Sunny Isles but not that far either.. Maybe 20 min. depending on traffic. I also got accepted to Barry and I know that Saturdays and Sundays at 9 am, there is hardly any traffic.
Brickell is also very lovely, but rush hour can get crazy because it is a residential and business area.
hope this helps! and Congrats!

Mickey- yes i saw that on my to do list but is that required or just recommended? because i already have a primary? you start so soon for that kines class ! Goodluck

prime - thank you for all the suggestions. will you be attending barry or did you just get accepted?

I just got accepted to Barry, and will be taking Kinesiology this summer! just bought the book from Amazon (ahhh) . Did you already take this class? if so, how was it?

I just got accepted to Barry, and will be taking Kinesiology this summer! just bought the book from Amazon (ahhh) . Did you already take this class? if so, how was it?

no , i dont need to take that class but im pretty bummed everyone gets to start a couple months before me! goodluck , and what book is it just so i can maybe buy it for reference later.

i will be visiting florida again at the end of this month! im going to stop by the school again, i would love to meet any of you that are taking the summer course!

Thank you. Yes, I agree, I wish I could also find a school where it would be less expensive. I'm just grateful and ecstatic to be starting soon! Nice to meet you! :)

I wish that too.. I got accepted to Barry.. So I will see everyone in the orientation..:)

I received an acceptance letter today from Barry!!! I am so happy :) Good luck to everyone else waiting on schools. I hope all your dreams come true.

Congrats Marya ..see u in the Fall :)

Hi everyone! I am applying to Barry for the summer of 2012. I would like to know how competetive the programs admissions process was, i.e. what the average GPA was to get in. I know the minimum required was a 3.0 but I want to see how I level in comparison to the average with a 3.3.
I would also like to know how you feel about the program thus far?

Thank you to anyone who answers my questions!! :D

:thumbup:
Hi everyone! I am applying to Barry for the summer of 2012. I would like to know how competetive the programs admissions process was, i.e. what the average GPA was to get in. I know the minimum required was a 3.0 but I want to see how I level in comparison to the average with a 3.3.

I also applied for summer 2012 and now waiting for response, yet after reading so many horrible reviews online I am a bit discouraged....

http://www.studentsreview.com/FL/BU_comments.html

well as a current student of Barry University , I don't have any problems with the school itself. I will say that a distance learning program is challenging if you are not a self motivated individual. Sometimes its hard not going to class everyday , but the grass is always greener. For someone who works full time in our field already the programs structure is very convenient for me. Theres some great professors and some ok professors but such is life. My first semester was very challenging but im still going strong. For those of you that are concerned about the reviews in regards to the campus the food or whatever else they were unhappy with , those really shouldnt concern you because your not there very often. Our fieldwork coordinator works his butt off to get us great fieldwork opportunities and he has a lot of great connections in south florida. Any other questions you have feel free to ask .

oh and i was accepted with a 3.2 GPA and my undergraduate degree was in kinesiology.

Thanks for answering! One more question: What do you think of the weekend program at Barry? Is it extremely challenging or is it manageable for someone who chooses to have a job while enrolled?

Anyone is open to answering of course. The more answers the better! Thanks in advance.

I too am applying to Barry for the fall/summer 2012. I have not completed my application yet, working on it. Do you live in Miami or will you be commuting? If accepted I will be commuting 4 hours. I wish you lots of luck! Keep me posted if you find out any interesting info. about the program. I will do the same.
oh yeah...gpa 3.5

I too am applying to Barry for the fall/summer 2012. I have not completed my application yet, working on it. Do you live in Miami or will you be commuting? If accepted I will be commuting 4 hours. I wish you lots of luck! Keep me posted if you find out any interesting info. about the program. I will do the same.
oh yeah...gpa 3.5

I live in Miami. Wow, 4 hours is a lot to commute! Are you applying anywhere else? I'll let you know how the process goes for me.. Just sent in the application! :xf:

well as a current student of Barry University , I don't have any problems with the school itself. I will say that a distance learning program is challenging if you are not a self motivated individual. Sometimes its hard not going to class everyday , but the grass is always greener. For someone who works full time in our field already the programs structure is very convenient for me. Theres some great professors and some ok professors but such is life. My first semester was very challenging but im still going strong. For those of you that are concerned about the reviews in regards to the campus the food or whatever else they were unhappy with , those really shouldnt concern you because your not there very often. Our fieldwork coordinator works his butt off to get us great fieldwork opportunities and he has a lot of great connections in south florida. Any other questions you have feel free to ask .

What is the schedule for the weekends that you do have class?

I live in Miami. Wow, 4 hours is a lot to commute! Are you applying anywhere else? I'll let you know how the process goes for me.. Just sent in the application! :xf:

I logged in to my Barry account and it said congrats on being accepted into the Masters in Occupational Therapy program for fall 2012. The next day my acceptance letter was in the mail. :)

I got my acceptance on March 8th :) I have to take Kinesiology course in summer prior to the program. I am waiting for a response from one more school and will know by next week if I will be attending Barry. I am so excited!

Glad to say that I am officially set to be a Buccaneer! Received my acceptance letter today! Can't wait to meet the new class starting in fall of 2012. ;)

Congrats!! I assume you do not have to take the Kinesiology or Intro to Occupational Therapy class over the summer? For those that did not know, Barry is allowing students to take the Intro to Occupational Therapy course over the summer to reduce the course load in the fall. (Student complaints about the amount of work required for 5 classes and full-time working individuals was too much, so it prompted the administration to do this which is great news for us as incoming students). Crazy how our schedule is set till 2015 :) See you all either over the summer or in the fall... :)

Hey Guys,

I was wondering is some of you could shared what your GPA if you were accepted to Barry OT program. and around what time did you hear from them? Thank you! I am extremely interested in their program especially with the weekend classes. I was looking at Nova but I have been studying to the GRE and I am having a very hard time with the math.

Thank you!

Has anyone heard anything from Barry yet? I know that the application deadline is not until April 1st but I know they accept students early.

No word so far. I spoke to Denise last week. she said, maybe 2-3 weeks they should be sending some letters. Let me know if you hear anything.

Just found out they are doing interviews this year. They will start on/around feb. 26 and continue until the end of April. But no invites for interview has been requested. So the waiting game goes on...

I have an interview this week for barry university. Has anyone had one or scheduled one?

Would you mind sharing your stats? How did you like your first year?

I received a call for the interview on 3/8, and received an acceptance letter yesterday 3/25. Yay!
Stats 3.3 gpa, 300 gre, minimin hrs but currently working in a helping field. Did you apply early? Be persistent. Don't be afraid to call the OT department...without being annoying of course.

Has anyone else had an interview that can provide some insight as to what questions they ask and the topic of their essay question.

Hey all I just found out I was accepted to Barry for the Fall of 2014. I was wondering for those of you who attend there, how is it going??? I am very excited, but also have not made a positive decision if I am going to attend there or not. Any feedback is much appreciated :)

Hey all I just found out I was accepted to Barry for the Fall of 2014. I was wondering for those of you who attend there, how is it going??? I am very excited, but also have not made a positive decision if I am going to attend there or not. Any feedback is much appreciated :)

Hey Celtics1138, I just found out that I was accepted to Barry today! Congrats to you! I'm pretty sure that I will be attending; however, the tuition costs scare me a lot. I am from Atlanta, and I am debating whether to commute or live down there because rent is so expensive. If you attended would you be commuting?

Hey Celtics1138, I just found out that I was accepted to Barry today! Congrats to you! I'm pretty sure that I will be attending; however, the tuition costs scare me a lot. I am from Atlanta, and I am debating whether to commute or live down there because rent is so expensive. If you attended would you be commuting?

Congrats to you as well! I sent you an inbox :)