Barry University School of Podiatric Medicine Class of 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cohedo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In addition to the Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/BUSPM2018) I started, I thought that I would also try this way...

I would like to get to know (as good as I can over the internet) some of my other classmates before school starts in August. Please join the Facebook group, and write about you on here!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm having my interview at Barry in two weeks. Any tips?
Thanks in advance!

Also interviewing in about two weeks. Reading through the other postings has me believe not to worry, just be yourself!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also interviewing in about two weeks. Reading through the other postings has me believe not to worry, just be yourself!
Oh wow. Are you also interviewing at Barry? If so, is it the 27th or 31st?

I interviewed at Barry earlier this month. Overall it was a very chill experience. The only nervewracking (partially) thing is you get interviewed right at the beginning at 9 am, and by three faculty members. It was longer than my other interviews but overall I had a good experience visiting Barry.

I interviewed at Barry earlier this month. Overall it was a very chill experience. The only nervewracking (partially) thing is you get interviewed right at the beginning at 9 am, and by three faculty members. It was longer than my other interviews but overall I had a good experience visiting Barry.
Sorry in advance if I ask too many questions. Were there others with you? I'm assuming you are in a room with 3 faculty members and they are bouncing questions off of each other. Did it feel like they were "grilling" you for answers or you had a breather here and there? How long did it take Barry to hear a response? Was it in the same week?
So sorry again for the amount of questions.

Yeah there were a few others at the interview.

Yeah np so it was pretty much each of the three members each had their "own" questions but everyone was collaborating when I was answering the questions. They weren't necessarily mean or whatever they were welcoming but the one thing I did get from the Barry interview is that they seem to really be seeking kids that wanna go there, so def have an answer for why barry and why miami/FL.

I haven't heard back yet but it really hasn't been that long. If you have any other questions feel free to ask away here or through a PM.

And really, the interview day wasn't bad/that intimidating. Again they were really welcoming so just be yourself!!

Edit: I meant there were others at the interview day but I was solely interviewed lol

Edit: I meant there were others at the interview day but I was solely interviewed lol
Thanks for the thoughtful answer. I'm slowly getting an ideal of what the Barry interview would feel like. Thanks again!

No problem and I feel if you really show your interest there it will all be fine!

It is super relaxed. The interview was semi-intimidating because the people I had were very good at poker faces! If possible, find out who is on the interview panel and Google them before you get called back for your interview. Try to find common ground with each of them, and peak their interest in you. Also, suggesting that you have done your research on them, like they have done on you, will heighten their level of desire for you to attend there. It was fairly relaxed, in the sense that they didn't grill you with questions. However, DEFINITELY come up with why you want to be a podiatrist. Any story is a good story - as long as you make it believable. It can really show your drive towards succeeding at their institution.

If you have issues with interviewing, you will find ease if you do your research on the people beforehand. It makes it all SO much easier. I was offered interviews at every school, and picked three (Kent, Temple and Barry). All three of my interviews were 45 minutes+, mainly because I showed genuine interest in what my interviewer does - whether it be biomechanics, research, sports med, podopediatrics or volunteer work. I got accepted at all three. My GPA was pure crap because of my first two years in school. My MCAT was decent, not amazing (27R). I would put myself at the bottom of the applicant pool on paper. But, because I know how to interview well, they all accepted me and offered me amazing scholarships - regardless of my "stats" in my application.

Just relax and talk to them. They are deciding your future - but they are also normal people who want conversation. If you can do that, I have no doubt you will get accepted.

You can either PM me, or ask any other questions you may have, and I will try to respond quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently a 1st year at Barry, so if anyone has any questions regarding the interview process or just the first year in general, feel free to ask or PM me.

I'm currently a 1st year at Barry, so if anyone has any questions regarding the interview process or just the first year in general, feel free to ask or PM me.

I know this has been answered before but what did your average weekday look? And average weekend day?

Was it distracting down in Miami? (I love beaches and golf so I can only imagine!)

How does the summer exactly wok?

My interview experience at BUSPM was awesome. Amy is super friendly and so welcoming she really made me more relaxed. There were two other students with me and the day began with a financial aid video in the conference room. After the video, we waited in the lobby as one of us was called into a private room to be interviewed by the dean Dr. Jensen and Dr. Armstrong. They were both welcoming and asked basic questions about my application. Why Barry? Why podiatry? How would you handle time management? They also informed me that an 8 or above on the biological section of the MCAT is correlated to a student's success on the board exams. I did have a few red flags on my transcript but my MCAT score and my postbacc classes showed significant improvement. They just wanted to make sure that I am a mature candidate. Overall, the interview went very well. After the interview, a 2nd year gave us a tour of the campus and then Amy drove us to Mercy Hospital (which was BEAUTIFUL because the ocean is RIGHT next to the hospital). We were introduced to Dr. Losito (the podiatrist for Miami Heat) and were greeted by a few residents and 3rd year students. After that, we headed back to campus and had lunch in the cafeteria. It was a long day but it was fun and I connected with the other two students that were interviewing as well. Barry is a wonderful campus and it is a beautiful location. The faculty was very friendly and I am so thrilled to go there in the fall!!!!

GOO BUSPM CLASS OF 2018!!!! :soexcited:

My interview experience at BUSPM was awesome. Amy is super friendly and so welcoming she really made me more relaxed. There were two other students with me and the day began with a financial aid video in the conference room. After the video, we waited in the lobby as one of us was called into a private room to be interviewed by the dean Dr. Jensen and Dr. Armstrong. They were both welcoming and asked basic questions about my application. Why Barry? Why podiatry? How would you handle time management? They also informed me that an 8 or above on the biological section of the MCAT is correlated to a student's success on the board exams. I did have a few red flags on my transcript but my MCAT score and my postbacc classes showed significant improvement. They just wanted to make sure that I am a mature candidate. Overall, the interview went very well. After the interview, a 2nd year gave us a tour of the campus and then Amy drove us to Mercy Hospital (which was BEAUTIFUL because the ocean is RIGHT next to the hospital). We were introduced to Dr. Losito (the podiatrist for Miami Heat) and were greeted by a few residents and 3rd year students. After that, we headed back to campus and had lunch in the cafeteria. It was a long day but it was fun and I connected with the other two students that were interviewing as well. Barry is a wonderful campus and it is a beautiful location. The faculty was very friendly and I am so thrilled to go there in the fall!!!!

GOO BUSPM CLASS OF 2018!!!! :soexcited:
Wow, the experience sounds exciting and congratulations! I hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of questions. Feel free to answer as many. I am trying to get more of an idea of what to expect since some of the questions that I have been hearing, I have never thought of.
1. Were the interviewee's called in one at a time? If it was, was it nerve wrecking knowing that you were next?
2. Did they dive deeper into your answers to some of the questions? For example, for the time management question, did they ask for an example of when it was in your favor and when it wasn't?
3. For your post-bac and MCAT score, did it show a positive skew? Did they ask about those red flags and compared it to your post-bac?
4. How long did it take you to receive your acceptance? Was it by phone/email/mail?
5. Did they ask you any more questions from your application or letters besides your shadowing experience and transcripts?
Thank you in advance for the info and hope to see you in the fall!

I know this has been answered before but what did your average weekday look? And average weekend day?

Was it distracting down in Miami? (I love beaches and golf so I can only imagine!)

How does the summer exactly wok?

First semester is pretty heavy in terms of number of classes you take and most days run from 9am to around 4pm (on days you don't have lab, you'll be done early). Second semester is a bit lighter in terms of the amount of time you spend in class, mostly because labs are shorter and once a week. On weekdays I pretty much attend class in the mornings, take the afternoons to eat dinner, work-out, run errands, etc., and spend the rest of the night studying. Weekends depend on how busy it is with school. If it's a weekend following an exam week, I will take a day off and go have fun (it's also when I schedule family visits or fly home for the weekend), but the more the semester progresses and approaches finals my weekends consist of studying most of the day (although on weekends I usually try to get out of the house and do my work at a coffee shop).

Miami is an awesome city and can definitely be a distraction, but only if you let it. I don't think that it'll be an issue though because you will get so absorbed in school that you simply won't have time to go to the beach and golf whenever you feel like it and you'll be so busy that it won't cross your mind as often as you think it will. However, Miami has plenty of options available for when you do need a break or have free time (and you'll have that, don't worry).

There is a summer semester at Barry that begins in May and ends in late July, which is followed by summer break that runs until late August.

First semester is pretty heavy in terms of number of classes you take and most days run from 9am to around 4pm (on days you don't have lab, you'll be done early). Second semester is a bit lighter in terms of the amount of time you spend in class, mostly because labs are shorter and once a week. On weekdays I pretty much attend class in the mornings, take the afternoons to eat dinner, work-out, run errands, etc., and spend the rest of the night studying. Weekends depend on how busy it is with school. If it's a weekend following an exam week, I will take a day off and go have fun (it's also when I schedule family visits or fly home for the weekend), but the more the semester progresses and approaches finals my weekends consist of studying most of the day (although on weekends I usually try to get out of the house and do my work at a coffee shop).

Miami is an awesome city and can definitely be a distraction, but only if you let it. I don't think that it'll be an issue though because you will get so absorbed in school that you simply won't have time to go to the beach and golf whenever you feel like it and you'll be so busy that it won't cross your mind as often as you think it will. However, Miami has plenty of options available for when you do need a break or have free time (and you'll have that, don't worry).

There is a summer semester at Barry that begins in May and ends in late July, which is followed by summer break that runs until late August.
Different poster, but with a similar question. How is the Thanksgiving break like? I saw on Barry website that it looks like you guys have Thursday and Friday off for Thanksgiving. Is that true? Are there scheduled exams the week before or on the week of Thanksgiving?

Thanks so much! Literally my #1 school choice and can't wait to apply and hopefully attend!

Different poster, but with a similar question. How is the Thanksgiving break like? I saw on Barry website that it looks like you guys have Thursday and Friday off for Thanksgiving. Is that true? Are there scheduled exams the week before or on the week of Thanksgiving?

Yeah, you get that Thursday and Friday off (you get most big national holidays off like Labor Day, MLK, 4th of July...etc). I don't remember if we had any exams that week, but finals week is the 2nd week of December so it's a pretty busy time of the semester.

Wow, the experience sounds exciting and congratulations! I hope you don't mind if I ask a couple of questions. Feel free to answer as many. I am trying to get more of an idea of what to expect since some of the questions that I have been hearing, I have never thought of.
1. Were the interviewee's called in one at a time? If it was, was it nerve wrecking knowing that you were next?
2. Did they dive deeper into your answers to some of the questions? For example, for the time management question, did they ask for an example of when it was in your favor and when it wasn't?
3. For your post-bac and MCAT score, did it show a positive skew? Did they ask about those red flags and compared it to your post-bac?
4. How long did it take you to receive your acceptance? Was it by phone/email/mail?
5. Did they ask you any more questions from your application or letters besides your shadowing experience and transcripts?
Thank you in advance for the info and hope to see you in the fall!

1. Yes we were all called in one at a time. I was last to be called in, it wasn't too nerve wrecking because Amy was around and she was really friendly. She started telling us about the school and the area and distracted me from being nervous.
2. They didn't dive that much deeper. They asked me how I manage my time and the following question was what would be the biggest challenge for me so I sort of tied that in with time management also. They didnt ask for detailed stories though.
3. My MCAT was a little above average and I had a 3.87 as my postbacc gpa (my undergrad sgpa was below a 2.6 so it was definitely progress) Dr Jensen complimented my trend and he asked why my sgpa was so low but my MCAT score was high and then he looked at my postbacc and just answered his own questions but basically they wanted to know that I am mature as a student and I know what will be expected of me. That is exactly what I told them.
4. I first found out my acceptance via an email from Amy without getting the official letters probably 2-3 days after my interview. I got my actual acceptance 2 weeks later. (it was also via email)
5. They didnt ask me any specifics from my application. I sort of told them about what I did and they would agree and say that I had mentioned that in my PS or app. You are basically selling yourself. Tell them what you have, what youve done, why you are capable and definitely know WHY barry and WHY podiatry. I had a very personal story for both so I think that helped. If you have any more Qs feel free to PM me!

For those that interviewed at Barry, was there an essay or supplemental portion?

Thanks.

In addition to the Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/BUSPM2018) I started, I thought that I would also try this way...

I would like to get to know (as good as I can over the internet) some of my other classmates before school starts in August. Please join the Facebook group, and write about you on here!

Hey cohedo! My name is Spenser, I've been waiting to see who else is going to be in the class haha. Add me to the facebook group ASAP