Basic, basic question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tzips

Chocoholic
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Supposedly, the major Q they ask on interviews is "why do you want to become a dentist (and not a doctor, podiatrist, pharmacist, engineer, ballerina, janitor...)?" Unfortunately, despite fluffing for all I was worth on the app essay, I still have no idea how to answer it!! I want to be a dentist becuase I like the health sciences but don't want to be a doctor. How do I a change that into "I've wanted desperately to be a dentist ever since I discovered toothpaste at the age of three"?

I suppose I could always say that I just get my thrills out of drilling... :D

Members don't see this ad.

...you *don't* change your answer into that. Keep in mind your interviewers have already heard every possible response to that question a dozen times, so your odds of surprising them on that one are pretty slim. What you *can* do is show some enthusiasm for whatever answer you do give.

Just remember: "Sincerity is everything. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - George Burns. ;)

Granted; somehow, though, I get the feeling that "I fell into it through the process of elimination" is one of the worser possible replies. What is a standard, non-offensive answer that I give, couched in terms of utmost sincerity? (wonderful quote, btw!) :D

Members don't see this ad :)
You've always been interested in the Health profession and have had the opportunity to explore the wide array of care offered by physicians. As you've experienced the different types of care you decided dentistry was the niche that you fit the best in as it offers you satisfaction of treating various oral diseases and conditions while keeping a close relationship with patients. It allows more contact time with patients where they can come to know/respect you.

I babbled something like that when they asked me that question. My sister is a gen surgeon so I just talked about following her around in her residency and then approaching my dentist about following him around. I guess I was convincing :)

stupid question. in my experience, when the interviewer asks me that question, he/she always seems more interested in the color of the peeling wall behind my chair than in my response.
bottom line is: say something basic and unoriginal, and you'll be fine. 99% of interviewers know our answers have been rehearsed and they don't really care to hear the same thing every time.

yeah, I want something basic and unoriginal... just less offensive than the strictly truthful reply ;-).

Thanks, CJWolf! Will use :)

For the money and Fast women

HD

Why dentistry? I like to hurt people....where is the drill? haha

oh, and hockeydentist....that is perhaps the best quote in any signature that I have seen (MORE COW BELL!!!)

Tzips said:
Supposedly, the major Q they ask on interviews is "why do you want to become a dentist (and not a doctor, podiatrist, pharmacist, engineer, ballerina, janitor...)?" Unfortunately, despite fluffing for all I was worth on the app essay, I still have no idea how to answer it!! I want to be a dentist becuase I like the health sciences but don't want to be a doctor. How do I a change that into "I've wanted desperately to be a dentist ever since I discovered toothpaste at the age of three"?

I suppose I could always say that I just get my thrills out of drilling... :D

I would avoid calling "the other guys" doctors, dentists have doctoral degrees too, and don't like it when MDs are referred to as doctors. Try to say "medical doctor," or "other health professions."

^^ Agreed. "Physicians" is a good one too.

Tzips said:
Granted; somehow, though, I get the feeling that "I fell into it through the process of elimination" is one of the worser possible replies. What is a standard, non-offensive answer that I give, couched in terms of utmost sincerity? (wonderful quote, btw!) :D
Here's another good answer -

"I [want to become] a doctor for the same four reasons everybody does: chicks, money, power, and chicks." - Perry Cox, "Scrubs."

i love it! But in all seriousness, how can i tactfully put into words that i want the less stressed lifestyle of a dentist? This makes it sound like dentistry is a cake walk and im more interested in "effort" than I am in the career--but we all know how hard we work to get here and how hard we'll have to work once we're in. But how many of us do NOT find the quality of life an appealing aspect of the career? How can i make the truth not sound so selfish?

tam0026 said:
i love it! But in all seriousness, how can i tactfully put into words that i want the less stressed lifestyle of a dentist? This makes it sound like dentistry is a cake walk and im more interested in "effort" than I am in the career--but we all know how hard we work to get here and how hard we'll have to work once we're in. But how many of us do NOT find the quality of life an appealing aspect of the career? How can i make the truth not sound so selfish?

You can say whatever you want, just make sure you are honest in your answer. It easy to spot an honest heart.

The question then becomes, do they want honesty? And even if they do - and even assuming our personal reasons are enough for us, else we wouldn't be doing this to ourselves :( - I have a feeling it would just not be politic to say that I want to go be a dentist becuase I want to spend time with my family... tam0026, I hear you.

Shall I just stick to the "money and fame" illusion, then? :)

tam0026 said:

I agree with you. After working on a cardiac unit and seeing people going into cardiac arrest regularly I really don't want to deal with death for the rest of my life. It sounds like I'm wimping out of being an MD (which in my case is the case). However, I could never say this in an interview. What I did say about this in my interview is that I prefered the type of medical cases that dentists handle better than other areas of healthcare, because the cavities are 1) very treatable, 2) can be done in one visit, 3) pt comes in with pain leaves feeling good.

In my interview I explained that I arrived at dentistry after investigating ALL the different careers in healthcare.