Bay Area IDP Aspirants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pulstar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello mates. I am a Idp aspirant residing in bay area San Jose, still struggling like most of you guys. I was wondering if aspirants and people who recently got admitted to dental schools (congratulations) who live closeby, can start this conversation. We can work with each other to help each other overcome their weaknesses whether it is personal statement, lor related stuff or bench test related work. Idea is to form a close group and organize meetings. Remember guys we all are not perfect, group effort is always more benficial than solo. As you guys all know time is important factor, we don't have to struggle all the way to admission, may be we should start learning from each others mistakes and get there sooner. New caapid cycle is heading towards us, I will be glad to hear from you soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello colleagues ,

I agree completely with what you are suggesting Dr. Pulstar because no one really understands our struggles except the people who struggled and went through what we are going through now ..
We feel lost and desperate for guidance from our seniors or those who are ahead of us .
I also live in the Bay Area and I am hoping that this group helps all who are struggling ..

Thank you for the great idea sir ..

Best wishes to all ..
Lamiya

People who got into dental school get into their own worries because dental school is not easy and it's hard to find time for other stuff. So that's why I was implying why not help each other. Lamiya it's very nice of you to share your worries. We can even start posting questions for people to answer in this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is true .. We can try to figure out things by ourselves .. As you said together better than by ourselves .. Since the new cycle is starting soon , I think we should be prepared ..
To be honest one of my concerns is that I have no experience neither in the states nor outside , I moved to the states just after I finished my BDS and after doing my internship .. I then tried to find work as a dental assistant in the Bay Area but most want experience +
x-ray certification . Does anyone know how I can get x-ray certification in the Bay Area?
Applying in this coming cycle will be affected if one doesn't have experience .. I stopped looking for a DA job for now since I am preparing for my part 2 but will resume later .. I realized it's not easy.. Before I started looking for a job I would just drop by nearby dental clinics and ask if I can volunteer , none where interested ..
When I think of my future I say that inshallah when I am a dentist I will welcome my juniors and aspiring dentists to learn as much as they can from me .
I heard of a couple of programs who help with bench tests and the interview but one of them is very expensive .. I am not sure of the price of the other program .. Anyways I am not trying to depress anyone just presenting my situation and I am sure that there is hope that we get there and this will be history ..
Wish everyone the best .. keep up the hard work .. Eventually it pays off

Well I did some research for you, you can get x ray certified. Just look in the CE programs of the UOP San Francisco, there is a program coming in May for x ray certification, join that program and good luck finding your job.

Hello there,
I agree with you guys, I also want to ask if anyone suggest any professional who can write SOP?

Thank you for your time dr. I checked it out , it says it's going to be held in the Stockton campus .. I think there is another way where we take the course close by and sooner than May but I have to ask around .. I have made calls but most say it's only of registered dental assistants .. One person told me that first you have to get the job and then they will register you to be certified .. So it's confusing ..
Thank you for your time ..

Hey Canine ,
I have heard of professionals who help by fixing your SOP by arranging it and fixing the grammar etc but I don't know about professionals who write down the whole SOP ..

hello there, Lamiya, look at this site http://dpocservices.com/radsafety.htm
you can look for a lot of places to do your x ray cert in california in the california dental board page, but i think that the 'assume' that you must be working already and have to complete a 'practical requirement' that is to have 2-3 full mouth sets of X-ray taken and signed in the place you work/volunteer.

Thank you Azrias86 ,
The link you sent is really helpful..

I was wondering how many hours of shadowing a dentist is enough ? I mean I know there is no standard number but a rough figure might help .. If anyone is familiar with this part plz share ..
Thank you

The new cycle just started , I wish all applicants the best ..

You can find that just by researching the forum well, but i think 100 is enough

Hi everyone:

Is this thread still active? I'm approaching my 4th year of school in the Philippines and am planning to practice in California... I'm also from the Bay Area...

Any updates on everyone's applications? What about finding shadowing/volunteer or research opportunities?

Would love to hear anything you guys have.

I would suggest you to give part 1 right now, so that when you get out of school you can go for part 2. Then Come to US, its easy to find volunteer work/ shadow.

Thanks for the advice, Pulstar, I'll look into that.

Good luck with everything !

if you want to get X ray licence so you can work in California...you can check out www.dental-specialties.com . If anyone needs help with bench test prep then i conduct bench test courses at my office in milpitas. You can also buy all of the equipment needed for home practice. Go to www.thedrtools.com for more information on instruments and courses. Dont forget to check out FAQ pages.
lie us on facebook for helpful hints for bench test https://www.facebook.com/pages/Thedrtools-LLC/547577921965424?ref=hl