About the ads

Baylor Anesthesiology

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by RockLee, Oct 13, 2006.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. RockLee

RockLee

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Your thoughts?
  2. Trisomy13

Trisomy13 ultra crook

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I heard they take your first-born child and make banana-baby-bread to serve at the Christmas party.

Probably just a rumor.
  3. Tollway

Tollway Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    What do you want to know? I am a CA-3 here at Baylor.
  4. Vaderize

Vaderize

Attending Physician
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    How do you like the Chair at Baylor?

Do you always mix lidocaine with propofol?
  5. militarymd

militarymd SDN Angel

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member

How's your job search going? Still headed to Colorado?
  6. Tollway

Tollway Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Sorry for the delay everyone! To militarymd- I am interviewing at 4 groups in Dallas next week. The jobs in Denver are not that great. As much as I love the city, I wish the anesthesia opportunities were better.

About BAylor:

Our program is not malignant. I don't know where that stigmatism arises from. UT-Houston maybe? I dunno.

CA-1 year- You spend most of your time at Ben Taub doing your OB anesthesia months and General ORs. You probably average 7-8 calls a month and come in at 2:30 PM and and get off at 6:30 AM on the weedays. We work 12 hour shifts on the weekend. Ben Taub staff is a mix of young/old faculty. Our regional anesthesia has gotten alot better and I feel pretty proficient in doing most blocks after training. We have alot of ortho so there is opportunity for alot of experience. We have a dedicated block month the CA3 year. You also spend some time at the VA doing general stuff. Our faculty is great. Laid back and friendly. Never had a problem with any of the surgeons.

CA-2- Specialty rotations. 2 months of Pedi at Texas Childrens. GREAT training. Great faculty and cases. One of top pedi hospitals in the country. Very busy, but become very proficient. HEarts at Texas Heart Institute at St. Lukes Hospital. Good training also. ICU at MD Anderson Cancer center. Most know how good this place is. It is ICU, so it sucks (i hate playing intensivist doctor). Acute pain at VA or MD anderson for a month. One of neuro at the VA or Ben Taub.

CA-3 year- 6 months of electives. I am doing 2 months of CV (THI and VA), 2 months of Pedi (TCH), 3 months OB (at Ben Taub- Seniors get 2 post call days off after call!! instead of just one), 1 month regional at BT, one month of echo at BT, one month Neuro at BT, and the rest general.

We are located in the Texas Medical Center, which is fantastic. We have huge, well known hospitals here. The parking is available in adjacent garages. Hours for the most part are good. We get paid well (CA-1 I thinks makes 43,000). The cost of living is cheap in Houston. The weather here is warm year round. I think I wore my coat for only a few days last winter. It is humid, as it is by the coast. There is alot of outdoor things to do here, including a beach (Galveston). Several people in my class surf at Surfside a few times a week. You get 2 weekends off a month usually. I passed my boards this year at the begining of my CA-3 year. So I am learning something, as I don't study much at all (damn Battlefield 2!!). Hope this helps

Calvin
  7. Adab

Adab Junior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    What is the average step 1 score for baylor anesthesiology?
  8. militarymd

militarymd SDN Angel

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I think you are wise to stay away from Colorado. Them guys have a very bad reputation.

I wonder when and how the landscape will change there.

From talking with UT, I think you can't go wrong in Dallas.
  9. VanDude

VanDude New Member

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thanks Tollway for your post. Very helpful, and I might add, encouraging. Much appreciated.

VD
  10. Tollway

Tollway Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    I don't have concrete data on the stats of our residents now. I talked to one of our old program directors I am on call here with tonight on OB and she thought the Step score to get an interivew was 220 and above. Not to say you won't get one with one below that. That is jsut what she thought when I asked her this question tonight. Good luck.
  11. Tollway

Tollway Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Oh, and I will be hosting interviewees this year so maybe I will get to meet some of you guys!

Calvin
  12. shamrockmd

shamrockmd

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I’m a Tulane student and I’m headed to the east coast for residency, so I don’t have insider resident info, but I do have an unbiased outsider/non-applicant opinion from the month I spent doing anesthesia at Baylor.

I wanted to second what Calvin said about Baylor, it’s a great anesthesia program and Houston is a fun affordable city to be in. I worked with mostly CA1s who were happy and great to work with and recommended that I look for a program like Baylor. The attendings I worked with were fabulous. I would have applied if Baylor were on the east coast. :)