Baylor Anethesiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bberg13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What have you all heard about Baylor Anesthesiology? How are their work hours? Chill program, malignant program, somewhere in the middle?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What have you all heard about Baylor Anesthesiology? How are their work hours? Chill program, malignant program, somewhere in the middle?

Thanks

Just interviewed there recently.

I think it's not a malignant program by any means. Hours are great. Call schedule is awesome most rotations = 16 hours call. Houston is an awesome city which was a major positive for me. Huge CRNA/SRNA program. However, residents have first choice. Fellowship placement is great. Most choose to stay local at Texas Med. Ctr as there are top notch facilities right in Houston. Baylor residents are given top priority. didactics are excellent. residents were invariably super happy.

Main drawbacks for me were : no moonlighting. low base salary relatively. no education fund (only books provided). no electronic gadgets (ipads, computers, etc). Historically, the anesth. program had financial issues I think that's why they have a new chair. Since she came in they are much more financially stable and getting more perks. I think this will only improve over time.

I think it's not a malignant program by any means. Hours are great. Call schedule is awesome most rotations = 16 hours call. Houston is an awesome city which was a major positive for me. Huge CRNA/SRNA program. However, residents have first choice. Fellowship placement is great. Most choose to stay local at Texas Med. Ctr as there are top notch facilities right in Houston. Baylor residents are given top priority. didactics are excellent. residents were invariably super happy.

Main drawbacks for me were : no moonlighting. low base salary relatively. no education fund (only books provided). no electronic gadgets (ipads, computers, etc). Historically, the anesth. program had financial issues I think that's why they have a new chair. Since she came in they are much more financially stable and getting more perks. I think this will only improve over time.

Can Anyone who has been a resident offer an opinion on the program? It's currently my top choice (for the many of the reasons listed by Mikey) and I'd love to know more about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone? Anyone? Baylor?

I think Mikey summarized it pretty succinctly and accurately. One more drawback...they make you pay for parking which can range from $80-100+/month, which is somewhat significant considering the low base salary (44K). Other than that, training wise they seem amazing (THI and TCH are #4 in the nation respectively, and you also train at MD Anderson). Board pass rates are in the upper 90's on written and oral boards, they have 5 ABA oral board examiners on faculty, and the residents seem pretty happy...I think if you can deal with living in Texas, then Baylor should be ranked highly on your list.

This might be late for this year, but for the future applicants. Originally thought I wanted to head to the northeast for a significant other but relationships changed and I ended up going with the best program fit for me.
Baylor Anesthesia is a hidden gym, after interviewing from west coast (Stanford, UCSF) to big East Coast programs like John Hopkins, the anesthesia training program here in terms of residency is definitely on a similar scale. The city of Houston can't compare with San Francisco, but the training facilities here at the Texas Medical Center is top notch.
Pros: You will have the ability to train for your core cardiac anesthesia rotations at the Texas Heart Institute at St. Lukes hospital in Houston (consistently top 5 cardiology training center across the country )
Pediatric anesthesia core training will occur at Texas Childrens Hospital (always among the top 5 in terms of pediatric hospitals across the country)
Ben Taub county hospital for your general anesthesia rotations (county hospital = lots of hands on training)
M.D. Anderson for pain rotations....MD Anderson (always #1 or #2 in terms of oncology hospitals).....need I say more???
The diversity of the training here at hospitals/specialties ranked top in their respective training is unparalleled.
Cons: City of Houston, not as much research as Wash U, Hopkins , Mass General