About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baylor College of Medicine or University of Texas at Houston?

Discussion in 'Dermatology' started by Mexoryl, Jun 12, 2010.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Mexoryl

Mexoryl

Medical Student

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I've applied to both for a general dermatology elective but I was wondering which one is better in quality with respect to residency training, teaching conferences, quality of attending faculty, research, collegiality, etc.? Is one more rigorous than the other?

UT-Houston's program has Memorial Hermann, LBJ General Hospital, MD Anderson Cancer Center, and the VA.

Baylor College of Medicine's program has Texas Children's Hospital, St. Luke's, Methodist, Baylor Clinic, Ben Taub, and the VA.
  2. Mexoryl

Mexoryl

Medical Student
  3. scumbagderm

scumbagderm

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I believe ut houston is better. Simply because of R. Rapini being there. Additionally, seeing MD Anderson and Dr. Duvic is worth the trip.
  4. Mexoryl

Mexoryl

Medical Student
    Isn't Baylor College of Medicine, a private medical school, ranked higher than UT Houston Medical School, which is public? Does this not carry into both of their dermatology programs?
  5. N-Surge

N-Surge Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Physician PhD SDN 7+ Year Member
    I believe scumbag has voted for Houston because of the life experiences you can gain there, with examples provided. At your stage of the game this is much more important than rotating at a program for their overall rank, imo. You want to make personal connections and get letters! The rank of a program isn't going to give you this alone. Contacts will.

I bet Baylor has some great contacts too. Every program probably does. This is what you should be more concerned with, imo.