Baylor College of Medicine or University of Texas at Houston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mexoryl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've applied to both for a general dermatology elective but I was wondering which one is better in quality with respect to residency training, teaching conferences, quality of attending faculty, research, collegiality, etc.? Is one more rigorous than the other?

UT-Houston's program has Memorial Hermann, LBJ General Hospital, MD Anderson Cancer Center, and the VA.

Baylor College of Medicine's program has Texas Children's Hospital, St. Luke's, Methodist, Baylor Clinic, Ben Taub, and the VA.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe ut houston is better. Simply because of R. Rapini being there. Additionally, seeing MD Anderson and Dr. Duvic is worth the trip.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe ut houston is better. Simply because of R. Rapini being there. Additionally, seeing MD Anderson and Dr. Duvic is worth the trip.

Isn't Baylor College of Medicine, a private medical school, ranked higher than UT Houston Medical School, which is public? Does this not carry into both of their dermatology programs?

I believe scumbag has voted for Houston because of the life experiences you can gain there, with examples provided. At your stage of the game this is much more important than rotating at a program for their overall rank, imo. You want to make personal connections and get letters! The rank of a program isn't going to give you this alone. Contacts will.

I bet Baylor has some great contacts too. Every program probably does. This is what you should be more concerned with, imo.