Baylor Dallas vs Baylor Houston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mouseboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been mentionned elsewhere but for an out of state person-- which is the better program? Which is more competitive? Which is the better program? (understanding competitive vs better is not always the same).

thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

Someone from dallas may do a better job, but being from within the state, I will give it a shot.
Baylor Dallas is a community program. That being said is a VERY strong community program. Baylor Hosp in Dallas is pretty big and there are a lot of training programs there. Fellowship opportunities are fairly good. Its a great program overall and a lot of people from my school that either a) want a community atmosphere for outpatient or hospitalist training, or b) want to be in Dallas but not as intense as Southwestern (also a great program!)
Baylor Houston is affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine, one of the top med schools in the country. Does that mean the IM program is top in the country... no not really. Read through old threads about what 'tier' it is, but most of that stuff is crap. It is a great academic residency with really great fellowship placement. Remember Texas Heart and MD Anderson are affiliated and accept a lot of their residents. However, Baylor has been having some problems with its hospital priviledges (wont go into it, but try googling it or maybe someone else can help w/ details). Houston has The Texas Medical Center, a virtual temple of modern medicine (I think its the largest medical center in the nation??)
Both cities are good. Houston is a little bigger, more crime, more pollution. But both are really fun cities.

thanks so much that was actually very helpful! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think dallas has more crime, at least by the numbers.

And he pretty much summed it up well. A few more things about Baylor Dallas as someone who rotated through medicine there for a month: They like to think of themselves as somewhere in between a community program and a university program. There is a lot of research going on there for a community program (I think.) It's a small program...only 9 residents per year I think (maybe less.) Not as much autonomy. You are part of a teaching service with a teaching attending but still have to deal with multiple private attendings or hospitalists for the actual mechanics of care (I guess this might be common in private programs...I don't know.) It's pretty cush though and they are competitive for fellowships in house (I don't know as much about elsewhere) which is good because they have really good cards, gi and heme/onc training there.

Hi,

I'm not from Texas, but received interviews at both of these programs. Is UT-H on the same level of Baylor? I have many interviews as I am couples matching and am looking to skim wherever I can. Any info that may help me decide which (if either) to cut would be great! Thanks!!!

i'm a resident at baylor, so here's my two cents: baylor houston and ut southwestern are the two IM programs in texas with more national recognition. for cardiology, baylor would be one of the wisest programs to go to in the nation. i'm working with heart gods even though i'm not gearing myself in any way towards cards. also you get the benefit of md anderson faculty/attendings. baylor sets its curriculum up so that 2nd year, when we're all applying for fellowship, we have the most research time and easiest electives--the only program i came across that was considerate enough to do this.

as a side note--generally if there's something to complain about i'm usually the guy to do it. that being said, there's been really very little that has struck a bad chord with me here outside of the usual gripes that come with any medicine internship. also rice village is very very nice.

as far as baylor dallas goes, i know when we were interviewing last year alot of the applicants i spoke with referred to baylor dallas as 'fake baylor' and baylor houston as 'real baylor'. i don't know the reason for that kind of talk, but i didn't really take baylor dallas as seriously when applying.

for fellowship my guess would be you'd be better off at baylor houston just because being a part of the texas medical center you'll probably come across one of the top 30 guys in whatever field you're shooting for (definitely for cards, heme/onc, ID, allergy, etc). a number of my attendings have been frequent writers for harrison's/cecil's/whatever the gold standard text is in their field, and if you do real work with the right faculty it wouldn't be unreasonable to grab something in NEJM or annals as a resident.

i'm a resident at baylor, so here's my two cents: baylor houston and ut southwestern are the two IM programs in texas with more national recognition. for cardiology, baylor would be one of the wisest programs to go to in the nation. i'm working with heart gods even though i'm not gearing myself in any way towards cards. also you get the benefit of md anderson faculty/attendings. baylor sets its curriculum up so that 2nd year, when we're all applying for fellowship, we have the most research time and easiest electives--the only program i came across that was considerate enough to do this.

as a side note--generally if there's something to complain about i'm usually the guy to do it. that being said, there's been really very little that has struck a bad chord with me here outside of the usual gripes that come with any medicine internship. also rice village is very very nice.

as far as baylor dallas goes, i know when we were interviewing last year alot of the applicants i spoke with referred to baylor dallas as 'fake baylor' and baylor houston as 'real baylor'. i don't know the reason for that kind of talk, but i didn't really take baylor dallas as seriously when applying.

for fellowship my guess would be you'd be better off at baylor houston just because being a part of the texas medical center you'll probably come across one of the top 30 guys in whatever field you're shooting for (definitely for cards, heme/onc, ID, allergy, etc). a number of my attendings have been frequent writers for harrison's/cecil's/whatever the gold standard text is in their field, and if you do real work with the right faculty it wouldn't be unreasonable to grab something in NEJM or annals as a resident.

Thanks posting this. I just have a good question. Do you think that the loss of affialiation of baylor with methodist hospital has compromised the quality and level of training baylor residents recieve especially in internal medicine?

and secondly, will this compromise fellowship potential in any way?

Thanks posting this. I just have a good question. Do you think that the loss of affialiation of baylor with methodist hospital has compromised the quality and level of training baylor residents recieve especially in internal medicine?

Recently heard on the interview trail that Baylor(Houston) renewed its contracts and will continue to be a 4 hospital program for at least another year...cannot confirm or refute this claim as I canceled my interview, in part, because of the above intel.

I've heard many rumors on this forum and on the trail:
1)Baylor Houston lost its hospital contracts
2)Grady Hospital is going bankrupt and pulling out from Emory
3)USC trains residents "probably" better than anywhere in the country (thanks for that jdh71)
4)Cleveland Clinic doesn't stack up to the elite programs
4)Mayo suffers from lack of autonomy

DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE...if you're concerned or curious, and lucky enough to get invites to these programs, you should check 'em out for yourself. I would not be surprised if rumors were spread to advance an applicants position in the queue.

3)USC trains residents "probably" better than anywhere in the country (thanks for that jdh71) . . . I would not be surprised if rumors were spread to advance an applicants position in the queue.

Just doing my best for you hoss.

I gave an opinion, which was not given to "advance" anything. I'm not under any illusions that saying anything like this will help me find a spot at USC. PD's will rank based upon their own preferences.

That was just to be a smart @$$...1, 2, 4 & 5 are definitely top of the rumor mill.

Give it a rest dude...are you gonna set fire to every thread?

jdh71 said:
The real question is: will you have the last word?

No. Aaww crap...I guess that's tecnically a Yes.:rolleyes:

How bout we just arm wrestle on the interview trail? BTW, I like the attitude...it will serve you well in L.A.:cool: