Baylor Debakey Summer Surgery Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Ortho

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was thinking of applying to the Baylor College of Medicine Debakey Department of Surgery summer program for pre-med undergradute students, and i was wondering if anyone here has done it? How easy is it to get in to? It looks like a lot of fun and a good experience. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

never heard of the program but it sounds like a great experience. since you're name suggest the "ortho or bust" mentality.....here's a great site that you might not have found yet

www.orthogate.com

Debakey....like the forceps?

Members don't see this ad :)
My former roomate did it. He is now an MSTP at Hopkins. He said it was very rewarding. He said he got to scrub in with DeBakey and during one heart transplant he got to hold and touch a heart. Pretty good for a premed. He also said that at times it got a little boring because he mostly saw CABGs over and over. I heard it's pretty hard to get into that program though.

Dr. Ortho said:
Hi everyone,

I was thinking of applying to the Baylor College of Medicine Debakey Department of Surgery summer program for pre-med undergradute students, and i was wondering if anyone here has done it? How easy is it to get in to? It looks like a lot of fun and a good experience. Thanks!!

i think it is pretty competitive to get into, but i have heard that it is an amazing summer if you get into it. My roommate did the cardiothorasic surgery version of this program and has been set on surgery since. The biggest downside to it is that you have to be around surgeons all day, and some of them can be first class pains in the arse.

Dr. Ortho said:
Hi everyone,

I haven't done it but I know of someone who has. They said it was an awesome experience. They had the same shedule as the surgeons, got to round, and helpout in the OR. I can't tell you whether it's easy or not to get in to because I just don't know. I'm sure someone on SDN will be able to help you out more.

Bump for what seems to be a cool summer program.

I was dying to get in, so I put a lot of work in the application. First of all they take FOREVER to get back to you, I sent in the application in Oct. and got a reply in April. Also, not to discourage you but I found it to be EXTREMELY competitive. When they sent a general e-mail to everyone it was all Harvard and U Pen. . I go to a good school and have very decent grades but given the crazy competition?

Hey, but things happen?good and bad?so you never know :confused:

I was thinking of applying to the Baylor College of Medicine Debakey Department of Surgery summer program for pre-med undergradute students, and i was wondering if anyone here has done it? How easy is it to get in to? It looks like a lot of fun and a good experience. Thanks!![/QUOTE]

Hey,

I know no one has written on this tread for four years, but I thought I might give it a try to see if anything pops up.

Anyway, can anyone provide any more information on this program? I think it's extremely super competitive, but it's worth a try. I know a lot of people apply to several different summer programs and get few acceptances because of the limited slots to each program.

I couldn't believe I even found this program. I wish they more like this though, even for other specialities like emergency medicine or OB/GYN.

Well, I hope I get a response.

i was at baylor this past summer, and though i was with a different program (the smart program), i spent a lot of time with the debakey kids. it's a really cool program... you definitely do get to scrub in on surgeries and observe a lot, but the kids got pretty bored a couple weeks into the program and started leaving early/causing trouble in the hospital (at least the ones i saw in my department).

i'd say the major downside is having to find your own housing and spending all day in the hospital without making moolah. other than that, great opportunities for getting LORs and tons of cool shadowing experience.

i was at baylor this past summer, and though i was with a different program (the smart program), i spent a lot of time with the debakey kids. it's a really cool program... you definitely do get to scrub in on surgeries and observe a lot, but the kids got pretty bored a couple weeks into the program and started leaving early/causing trouble in the hospital (at least the ones i saw in my department).

i'd say the major downside is having to find your own housing and spending all day in the hospital without making moolah. other than that, great opportunities for getting LORs and tons of cool shadowing experience.

Don't the Smart program kids stay at Rice during the summer?

Don't the Smart program kids stay at Rice during the summer?

yeah, but my particular project involved a lot of time in the hospitals. i was a lucky one :)

I applied to this program back in the day but didn't get in. It sounds like an awesome time though and I really wish I had the experience. But it seems like its not too much different from doing a mentorship with a surgeon at your local university hospital. That way you might get in on some research too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to this program back in the day but didn't get in. It sounds like an awesome time though and I really wish I had the experience. But it seems like its not too much different from doing a mentorship with a surgeon at your local university hospital. That way you might get in on some research too.

hey that sounds like a good idea ... do you know how to go about shadowing a surgeon and getting in some research?

I'm surprised people responded to this so quickly ...

how was the smart program and was it really competitive to get into? I'm pretty sure it is, as most are difficult to get into i suppose ... but i'd like your input

don't really see the big deal...you're essentially paying to shadow someone.

I'm surprised people responded to this so quickly ...

how was the smart program and was it really competitive to get into? I'm pretty sure it is, as most are difficult to get into i suppose ... but i'd like your input

i loved the smart program. i got waitlisted the first year i applied and got in the next year. regarding selectivity, i know dr. slaughter (the really nice lady who is in charge of admissions) picks candidates who can bring diversity to research and medicine. multiple kids in the program were actually from places like puerto rico and guam. i'd recommend showing how you are unique in your application.

the debakey program is great, but i wouldn't have picked it over the smart program (though i didn't apply to both). i was really lucky to be given a highly clinically-relevant project, but there are soo many opportunities for shadowing in the texas med center. debakey has seminars and allows you to scrub in on surgeries, but i prefer productive work where i have a defined role and am actually contributing something rather than observing. still, if you get in to one or the other, i'd go for it!

hey that sounds like a good idea ... do you know how to go about shadowing a surgeon and getting in some research?

Look on the faculty webpages for a professor in the field that you are interested in. Read about their work or their research on pubmed. Email them and tell them that you are interested in what they do and you'd like to shadow them for (insert a short amount of time, aka a day, a week, etc). You may have to contact five or six people before you get a response. Once you get in, develop rapport with them and then mention that you read their work. Suggest some experiment or something that might expand upon it. Usually they'll say "thats kind of stupid" or "thats a bit irrelevant" BUT here is a project that we're working on, do you want to join? BINGO. Good luck out there.

Look on the faculty webpages for a professor in the field that you are interested in. Read about their work or their research on pubmed. Email them and tell them that you are interested in what they do and you'd like to shadow them for (insert a short amount of time, aka a day, a week, etc). You may have to contact five or six people before you get a response. Once you get in, develop rapport with them and then mention that you read their work. Suggest some experiment or something that might expand upon it. Usually they'll say "thats kind of stupid" or "thats a bit irrelevant" BUT here is a project that we're working on, do you want to join? BINGO. Good luck out there.

i would try to call or stop by their office. maybe e-mail to suggest and inperson meeting. shows that you are really interested.

for research, i wouldn't even suggest a project. when i met with my PI to ask if i could do research, i was basically like "yea, so i don't have any skillz, but i really want to learn. i saw that you do XXX and that interests me. might you have a project that i could help you work on?"

I participated in the program in '06. I actually had no prior science experience (was an english major in college), so I was at a disadvantage because I was the one who knew nothing about anything, as opposed to everyone else in the program who were seniors in hard science majors. Sorry, just venting... :)

Moving on - I found pros and cons. The program is supposedly really hard to get into, so I was really excited when I found out I made it. The experience itself did not live up to those expectations. I may be the exception - I was put in the pediatric surgery program, where we were not assigned a specific "mentor" (attending surgeon) during our time. Everyone else (Ben Taub, Methodist, etc.) was assigned to a specific surgeon that they worked with almost exclusively. This was good for me, because I got to work with a lot of surgeons..but bad, because I didn't get to work with any of them enough to get involved in anything really important - some people at other hospitals did research, etc. On the plus side, you get an all-access pass to go wherever you want - you go on rounds with the residents and fellows, watch surgeries, etc. You can go as much or as little as you want (at least at Texas Children's, where you're not assigned to a specific surgeon and no one seems to really notice you're not there - but I probably averaged 7-10 hours a day or so, sometimes more if there was a cool surgery. I also stayed for night call a few times. Overall, I'd say I got around 400 hours over the 10 weeks.)

My first fellow was great, but he left halfway through the program, and I got a new one. I can't blame her, 'cause she was starting a new, very difficult job, but it made it hard for us in the program to get a good experience when she showed up. Also, those at other places (especially Ben Taub, which is the county general hospital) got to actually do some real, actual work in the OR, while at Texas Children's we got to stand in the back and watch - I probably only scrubbed in on 5 or so surgeries or so the whole 2 months.

Overall, I'd say it was a good, not great, experience. If I had been in another surgery service, it might have been much different - I don't know. I did learn A LOT about surgery and medicine in general, and got to see first-hand what it's like to be a resident - so I'd recommed it, if you're interested.

Sorry about the length of this post, but I wanted to share the whole experience. If you have any other questions, just PM me.
user_offline.gif

I participated in the program in '06. I actually had no prior science experience (was an english major in college), so I was at a disadvantage because I was the one who knew nothing about anything, as opposed to everyone else in the program who were seniors in hard science majors. Sorry, just venting... :)

Moving on - I found pros and cons. The program is supposedly really hard to get into, so I was really excited when I found out I made it. The experience itself did not live up to those expectations. I may be the exception - I was put in the pediatric surgery program, where we were not assigned a specific "mentor" (attending surgeon) during our time. Everyone else (Ben Taub, Methodist, etc.) was assigned to a specific surgeon that they worked with almost exclusively. This was good for me, because I got to work with a lot of surgeons..but bad, because I didn't get to work with any of them enough to get involved in anything really important - some people at other hospitals did research, etc. On the plus side, you get an all-access pass to go wherever you want - you go on rounds with the residents and fellows, watch surgeries, etc. You can go as much or as little as you want (at least at Texas Children's, where you're not assigned to a specific surgeon and no one seems to really notice you're not there - but I probably averaged 7-10 hours a day or so, sometimes more if there was a cool surgery. I also stayed for night call a few times. Overall, I'd say I got around 400 hours over the 10 weeks.)

My first fellow was great, but he left halfway through the program, and I got a new one. I can't blame her, 'cause she was starting a new, very difficult job, but it made it hard for us in the program to get a good experience when she showed up. Also, those at other places (especially Ben Taub, which is the county general hospital) got to actually do some real, actual work in the OR, while at Texas Children's we got to stand in the back and watch - I probably only scrubbed in on 5 or so surgeries or so the whole 2 months.

Overall, I'd say it was a good, not great, experience. If I had been in another surgery service, it might have been much different - I don't know. I did learn A LOT about surgery and medicine in general, and got to see first-hand what it's like to be a resident - so I'd recommed it, if you're interested.

Sorry about the length of this post, but I wanted to share the whole experience. If you have any other questions, just PM me.
user_offline.gif

I argue it's a lot better to shadow someone who you eventually can get to know. Watching surgery without having any background info can appear boring.

To those that got accepted into the program, when did yall here back from baylor. I applied this time around and still haven't heard back...
Thanks!

I've also applied and been anxiously waiting to hear back on my status.

The website says: "The Committee will review each completed file and those selected will be notified by mail before the end of April 30."

any previous debakey interns out there? When did yall here back from baylor?

Hey all,

To everyone who desperately stumbles upon this thread in late March, I found out today, April 13 2009

Melissa

Hey all,

To everyone who desperately stumbles upon this thread in late March, I found out today, April 13 2009

Melissa

Man, they aren't giving you guys very much time to make a decision. I was a Debakey Intern two summers ago, and I found out in the middle of March.

I also just found out that I have been accepted to the program today - April 13th. I'm ecstatic!

So if we haven't heard back by now, is it safe to say that we weren't accepted? :(

I think it's definitely still possible; perhaps they're doing a wait-list--we have to reply by April 20.

Thanks for the heads up! BTW I heard the program was really stupid and boring...:rolleyes:

I applied for the DeBakey Summer Surgery program for summer 2011 at Baylor College of Medicine and haven't heard anything. Anybody out there apply, and if so, have you gotten a response back yet?

You get to ride in the elevator with the ghost of Dr. DeBakey.

nope...i haven't heard back either. i guess that means we didn't get it... :-/ Has anyone that applied in the 2011 cycle heard back yet?

I found another thread on this forum with another applicant who hasn't heard back either. I'm assuming I didn't get in at this point, but I am wondering why there is no one popping up to say on some forum somewhere that they did. In 2009, the accepted people heard by April 13th and had to accept by the 20th. (I wasn't able to find anything on the summer of 2010.) I wondered if they might do an "A" list and wait until they got responses back to see if they need to offer to more applicants that are on a waiting list. I really need to get moving on finalizing what I'm going to do this summer, but this is holding me back. I'm getting very tempted to email or call them, but feel I should wait until 4/30.

I feel exactly the same way. They probably let one batch in early and then if some of those students decline, they move on to the waiting list...all before the 30th.

I'd really like to know either way though. I'm definitely getting anxious about summer plans.

I applied in 2009 and was accepted in mid/late April, I believe. It was probably the best summer of my life. There were lots of times when I was the only assist to the attending/resident and was able to be significantly involved in a wide variety of procedures. If anyone has any questions about the program, feel free to PM me.

As far as how competitive it is, I really have no idea. We heard a lot of different numbers as far as how many applicants there were. I believe there were 24 participants in the summer of 09 and they were thinking about cutting that down a bit due to some people being displeased with their preliminary hospital assignments.

Wow. I thought there would be more people in the program than that each year. I've not seen an estimate of the number that apply, but I bet it's a bunch because there aren't a lot of programs out there like this one. As the days tick by, I'm feeling pretty sure that it's not happening for me this year.:(

I'm glad I found this message board bc I was beginning to think I was the only person out there who was still waiting on a response! I sent my application in back in October and am still waiting...frustrating! If I don't get in it's no biggie...I've been shadowing a surgeon since November who has even let me work on some research projects. However, I'd just like to know so I can stop the insanity of wondering!!! Good luck to everyone!

Just got word I was accepted via email!!! OMG...I cannot breathe!

wow congratulations! so exciting. I haven't heard anything so I guess it's a silent rejection for me--that is if they even got my application in the first place. do you mind posting your stats/info?

Congrats to you, FutureTXMD on getting in. Nothing in my box, so I guess I'm out of luck. At least I can quit thinking about this and move on to plan B. Anyone else on this board get in?

I actually received an email yesterday. I'm so sorry to whomever didn't get in. Definitely give it a try next year! If surgery is your passion I say don't quit with this. If you live in Houston (or near another major medical center) just try to contact as many surgeons as you can until you find one that will take you under their wing. That's what I did. I really was thinking I didn't get in because my notice took forever but can say it was well worth the 7 month wait. Again, I wish everyone the best! I know being pre-med is competitive but at the end of the day these people may be your future colleagues and will be the ones helping you save lives! Take care! Also feel free to message me if you have any additional questions.

Carolina Girl,

My basic stats: I work two jobs, completely independent (since both my parents for some reason didn't feel that having a child equated to actually taking care of one), I have a 3.98 GPA, volunteer, shadow, and try to be active in church. I don't have much of what my peers would call a "social life"--i.e. partying, free time etc.--but I love what I do.

If you really are into surgery I definitely say go for it! At the end of the day it's not about the money or prestige but about being in the OR and helping save lives, making connections. If you have any further questions feel free to message me. Also, ORLive.com is a great resource! You can watch real surgeries from the comfort of your home and I guess if you live in a rural area where there aren't many surgeons to shadow this would be the next best thing. For the program you may want to email/call the program coordinator to verify if your application was received (just for peace of mind). Good luck!

Hi! I am a participant in the 2011 DeBakey Summer Surgery program and just wanted to ask what your specialty was when you did the program? I've heard it's not so much the specialty but the type of mentor you have that makes the most difference in getting the most out of your experience. Thanks for your input!

Last edited:
I applied in 2009 and was accepted in mid/late April, I believe. It was probably the best summer of my life. There were lots of times when I was the only assist to the attending/resident and was able to be significantly involved in a wide variety of procedures. If anyone has any questions about the program, feel free to PM me.

As far as how competitive it is, I really have no idea. We heard a lot of different numbers as far as how many applicants there were. I believe there were 24 participants in the summer of 09 and they were thinking about cutting that down a bit due to some people being displeased with their preliminary hospital assignments.

Mark is that you?

Any suggestions for applicants? I will be a sophomore next year and am considering applying.

I think this program is for college juniors and seniors????

But my question is how many apply and how many are accepted...is it like a 5-10% acceptance rate just like medical school....

of course it's going to be competitive...pre-med= competition.