Baylor or UT Southwestern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gamot

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me decide!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know much about Baylor. Only visited the school once. The facilities seemed old and out-dated. On the other hand, I visited UT Southwestern numerous times and continue to do so. The school is great in every way: great research programs, prestigious, and very competitive. If I were you, I would select UT Southwestern as my Alma Mater as it boasts around 10 Nobel Prize winners among its faculty. On the other hand, de Bakey is the famous heart surgeon at Baylor.

[This message has been edited by DOPhD student (edited 01-30-2000).]

UT Southwestern.

It'll save you a bundle of money for the same, if not better, education.

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the Baylor side, it is a huge advantage to finish your basic sciences in 1 1/2 years. You get to start clinical rotations early, which means you finish early and have plenty of time to take electives. This adds up to giving you more time to figure out what type of residency to pursue and maybe to do a little research to spiff up your applications.
I was able to take 3 radiology electives, a month off to study for the boards, and two months vacation during my clinical years and still finished all my required course work by November of Senior year.
Good luck deciding. I've only heard good things about Southwestern. You'll do well at either one.

I loved Baylor. Most of the students are very happy there. It is not cut-throat and encourages a friendly atmosphere among med students. You are treated like a person, and not like a "non-human student."

Both schools are good. Texas is a great place to live!

James Henderson, MD
Baylor Class of 1998
editor of http://www.medicalstudent.net