Baylor Post-Baccalaureate Program 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dental24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!
If you have applied to Baylors PBP 2012-2013, then please join this thread so that we can keep each other updated on interviews and acceptances/rejections. Or if you know anything about it feel free to comment!!!!:)

If you are in PBP or know someone whos in it PLEASE give pointers on interviews, essays...etc. if you have any idea what they look for!!

Lets all keep each other updated so we dont have to be alone in panicking about this stuff:D

Members don't see this ad.

Yes unfortunately! They review all of our applications and then see who they want to interview. Ive heard they only do about 25-50 interviews. And when i called their office about 80 apps have been turned in already.

So nervous!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi
Right there with you!! Crossing fingers!
Could you tell us when u inquired the number of apps?

Good luck to us!!

Hey guys I am also applying this cycle! Thanks for the heads up dental24, I talked to some previous applicants and they say the majority of applications come in the last week so the final count is probably more!

Good luck to everyone and I will post updates when I hear them!

I called them Friday, March 2. So lalbaraccin, youre porbably right the applicant number might be more than 80. I wouldnt be surprised if it went to 140.

GOOOOD LUCK!!! =>

search for the old post bacc thread for 2011... I believe by their deadline..there was over 300 applications.

So the program said you take 4 upper level bios each semester. Any idea as to what they are? Do you get to choose? What if you already took those classes for your undergrad?

Gaaahhh, so many queations!

I heard it ranges on availability and the school you take it at (UNT or UTD). We get to choose but theres a specific list from which we have to choose from. ive heard there are classes like genetics, a&p, histology, etc.

If we've taken those classes already, we have to take other ones that we havent taken....im assuming

From what Ive heard, most ppl go to UNT since the classes are easier there.

I heard it ranges on availability and the school you take it at (UNT or UTD). We get to choose but theres a specific list from which we have to choose from. ive heard there are classes like genetics, a&p, histology, etc.

If we've taken those classes already, we have to take other ones that we havent taken....im assuming

From what Ive heard, most ppl go to UNT since the classes are easier there.

I graduated from UTD and I've taken just about every science class there. The classes are tough but manageable. Once I'm accepted to the post bacc program how many of you guys will go to UNT to take the classes?

So when a person completes this program, does Baylor select who they want from the pool? Or is this program only for helping the student get into any dental school?

Basically everyone is guaranteed admission to Baylor for the following year. You just need to maintain a 3.2 GPA I believe, and score at least an 18 on the DAT.

I was in Baylors SPEP program last summer.. We took summer classes with the post bacc students. Majority of the post bacc students were disadvantaged URM.. And a good number did not make an 18 their first go around before applying to the post bacc..however Baylor saw these students potential. This is why they were selected.

Baylor is big on finding students who's goals are to provide care to the under served areas... *HINT*

Members don't see this ad :)
So when a person completes this program, does Baylor select who they want from the pool? Or is this program only for helping the student get into any dental school?

Everyone is accepted to Baylor Dental School after completion in this program.

Hi all-

I got accepted to Baylor for this year but my husband didn't :(, so we are looking into other options for him. He has applied to the official Baylor postbacc and UTD and UNT for their separate postbacc opportunities just in case. What are the pros and cons of each program? easiness/how well they prepare you/cost etc? any ideas?

Thanks!!!

Congrats Cheartsk!!!

Baylor PostBacc Pros:
-Guaranteed admissions into Baylor Dental School once you've maintained 3.25 GPA and get like a 18 AA and 16 PAT on the DAT.
-Pretty much its the same as doing the UTD certification program, bc the classes are the same for the most part.
-Its not that hard to maintain their GPR of 3.25, especially if youre taking classes at UNT. I think they offer a stipend but the estimated cost is about $20,000

The UTD Post Bacc Certification Program
-Although it does not guarantee admission into dental school, you do get automatic interviews with 2 of the 3 Texas dental schools (I think Baylor and Houston) if you meet certain requirements in the program (3.7 with at least 30 hrs of post bacc courses and 20 on DAT with nothing below a 17).
-The cost is about the same since you meet similar Baylor Post Bacc Students taking the same classes

They're both great programs the 2 Major Differences are the Baylors Post Bacc is primarily for URMs and they guarantee admission, while UTD post bacc only guarantees an interview and is for everyone. Baylor's program is a bit competitive since there are only 16 spots granted and about 100-250 ppl apply every year.

Hope this helps!!

that's helpful thanks dental24!!

we heard from Ms. Pledger that UNT also offers a post bacc that you can do on your own. do you know anything about that?

No problem Cheartsk! :D

I havent heard so much about UNTs post bacc program except that its geared primarily towards PreMed students. There were only about 2-5 predental students in the post bacc at UNT last year. I think last year one of two students got accepted to Dental School by doing UNTs program.

I was considering applying, but then thought that UNT doesnt have an informal agreement with Dental Schools like UTD about getting an interview or admission. So its just like going to another university and taking upper levels yourself, but not having any sort of assurance.

Ive been trying to see if there are other programs in Texas for pre-dents but havent found anything except UTD and Baylor. If you know of any other programs please share!! :)

You make my life easy!! Thanks again, and good luck. If we find anything else we will let you guys know :)

I just called PBPs Office and Natasha told me that they will start looking at applications next week. So the week after, around April 2 and onward is when they'll hand out interviews.

Any update on total number of applicants this cycle??

Good luck to us!!!!!!!!

I just called PBPs Office and Natasha told me that they will start looking at applications next week. So the week after, around April 2 and onward is when they'll hand out interviews.
thank you so much for that info. i thought they might have already started interviews but guess not.

I forgot to ask about the number of applicants. But Ill try to get some more info from them later on

I called Ms. Sneed today and she says the committee hasn't had the time to meet yet. They will meet sometime next week to determine who gets interviews. Then interviews will be the week of April 9-13

thank you so very much for this info i was starting to get disappoint because i havent heard anything and i sent my application the day they started accepting them.

I know it is only April 2 but haven't Balor hand out any of interview calls?

i know i was thinking the same thing. they are suppose to let us know by april 13 which is next friday! i dont understand why it's taking them so long.

Ms. Sneed said the director of the program has been busy writing some grant so they just haven't gotten around to it.... Meanwhile, we're all stressing....

so they havent reviewed apps or they havent decided on interviews?

dunno. she didn't say. probably the latter.

I just called and Mrs. Sneed said that they have started selecting people for interviews but have not actually interviewed anyone yet. She also said that there were over 150 "eligible" applicants. Everyone should know their status by the April 13h deadline.

I just got my Invterview!!!!! Valkairon, when is your interview?

when did you get the call/email? was it a phone call?

i hope not!! cross your fingers for my husband and i'll cross my fingers for you! lol. maybe someone should call??

I received my phone call this afternoon about 4:00 pm. GOOD LUCK to everyone!

I just got the interview offer today and yes, I am an URM.

I got offered an interview today around 2:45 pm! I am an URM

Called Ms. Sneed this morning and she says that the committee is still reviewing apps and giving out interviews. Good luck all. :)

Just got an interview! Good luck to all of those still waiting as I got mine this morning at 10:30!

hey guys i know natasha sent out an email to the people interviewing on tuesday. does anyone have any other information as to what to expect from the interview?

Does anyone know how many people get interviews?

Does anyone know how many people get interviews?

TK! :) you should message some of the post bac students from last year. I have Ijes number if you want it. She can tell you everything to expect from the interview. Oh yeah, I got a new phone.. Message me your number. I got a new phone so I lost everyones contacts.

hUg :)