Baylor Pre-dental Postbacc Program 2011-2012

drgurl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I know there are other Baylor Pre-dental Post-Bacc Program threads. But this is for 2011-2012. Please post your comments, status, updates, + questions here regarding the Postbacc program. I just applied lets see what happens! G00D luck to all those that are applying :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I know there are other Baylor Pre-dental Post-Bacc Program threads. But this is for 2011-2012. Please post your comments, status, updates, + questions here regarding the Postbacc program. I just applied lets see what happens! G00D luck to all those that are applying :)

This program is for disadvantaged applicants only, so why bother if you are not???
I think Barry, nova and BU programs are well known and open to all.

Good Luck!!!

I know it is, that is why this thread is for all those who meet the requirements and have applied or will apply. Just so we can keep eachother updated.

Members don't see this ad :)
For all those that meet the requirements for this program and have applied or will apply let's keep eachother updated!

This program is for disadvantaged applicants only, so why bother if you are not???
I think Barry, nova and BU programs are well known and open to all.

Good Luck!!!

so unless you are financialy limited, or an URM, you wont get in?

so unless you are financialy limited, or an URM, you wont get in?

Those are some of the requirements, but I think if you meet any other ones you can still apply.

im considering this program, but wanna confirm what ive heard

ive heard that the 20k that they charge you is basically just thier way of making money

i wouldent mind paying that, if the likelihood would be very high that i be accepted the next year though of course

does anyone know the matriculation rate into dental school from this program?

ive heard that the 20k that they charge you is basically just thier way of making money

i wouldent mind paying that, if the likelihood would be very high that i be accepted the next year though of course

you are correct about 20k that they charge, almost all that get accepted into this program get into dental school, as long as you meet their requirements while you are in the program.

you are correct about 20k that they charge, almost all that get accepted into this program get into dental school, as long as you meet their requirements while you are in the program.

thats pretty cool
so their requirements are that you retake the dat even if you did well on it before, and what else?

and do they all get into baylor, or otherschools as well

and also where can i check out this data

It is 100% but most people in the program are URM. They take the same classes as students in the UTD-Postbacc Biomedical Cert. program.

I did the UTD-Postbacc program and met a lot of the Baylor Post bacc kids, and they were all URM, so take that for all it is worth. If you dont get into the Baylor program, the UTD post bacc program is a good alternative.

Although it does not guarantee admission into dental school, you do get automatic interviews with 2 of the 3 Texas dental schools if you meet certain requirements in the program (3.7 with at least 30 hrs of post bacc courses and 20 on DAT with nothing below a 17).

thats pretty cool
so their requirements are that you retake the dat even if you did well on it before, and what else?

and do they all get into baylor, or otherschools as well

and also where can i check out this data

It is only for Baylor, and if you have 18 or above on your DAT exam then you do not have to retake it. The other requirements are to keep a GPA of 3.25 or higher on the higher level science courses you will be taking. You can get more info by clicking on the following link

http://www.tambcd.edu/education/studentdevelopment/pdfs/brochure-pbp.pdf

Thundercatz, which semester did you apply for when you applied for the UTD Biomedical Cert Program? and When did you send in your application?
I'm thinking about applying for the fall, as an alternative.

It is 100% but most people in the program are URM. They take the same classes as students in the UTD-Postbacc Biomedical Cert. program.

I did the UTD-Postbacc program and met a lot of the Baylor Post bacc kids, and they were all URM, so take that for all it is worth. If you dont get into the Baylor program, the UTD post bacc program is a good alternative.

Although it does not guarantee admission into dental school, you do get automatic interviews with 2 of the 3 Texas dental schools if you meet certain requirements in the program (3.7 with at least 30 hrs of post bacc courses and 20 on DAT with nothing below a 17).

Members don't see this ad :)
It is only for Baylor, and if you have 18 or above on your DAT exam then you do not have to retake it. The other requirements are to keep a GPA of 3.25 or higher on the higher level science courses you will be taking. You can get more info by clicking on the following link

http://www.tambcd.edu/education/studentdevelopment/pdfs/brochure-pbp.pdf

do you have any idea or any statistic on how many people get into baylor dental after completion of the one year?

lol im looking to wiegh my options and and trying to look at my more safe bets

do you have any idea or any statistic on how many people get into baylor dental after completion of the one year?

lol im looking to wiegh my options and and trying to look at my more safe bets

They only accept 16 people into this program, so unless you don't meet the requirements or drop out of it yourself, you are gauranteed admission into dental school.

Which 2 schools? Is this documented anywhere or is this just the word on the street?

On a separate sheet, please submit a typed, one-page concise
statement detailing the following: your present academic status, personal or educational hardships you have overcome, why you consider yourself disadvantaged*, what you expect to gain from participation in HSC-Baylor College of Dentistry’s Post-Baccalaureate Program, and how you plan to provide dental care to underserved populations or practice in communities with limited access to dental healthcare

that is the prompt - what if i dont come from a disadvantaged background lol
is it still worth applying if its right there in the prompt?

If you are not disadvantaged, (single parent household, low income, etc ) then even if you apply you might not be selected since this program is mostly targeted towards the disadvantaged applicants.

On a separate sheet, please submit a typed, one-page concise
statement detailing the following: your present academic status, personal or educational hardships you have overcome, why you consider yourself disadvantaged*, what you expect to gain from participation in HSC-Baylor College of Dentistry’s Post-Baccalaureate Program, and how you plan to provide dental care to underserved populations or practice in communities with limited access to dental healthcare

that is the prompt - what if i dont come from a disadvantaged background lol
is it still worth applying if its right there in the prompt?

If you are not disadvantaged, (single parent household, low income, etc ) then even if you apply you might not be selected since this program is mostly targeted towards the disadvantaged applicants.

hrmm thats not good
well hopefully ill still stand a chance, bc i really wanna stay in texas

hey guys!

Im glad i found this thread! I sent my application in last week. when i called mrs. sneed said that around 50 or so applications have been sent in to her thus far!

hey guys!

Im glad i found this thread! I sent my application in last week. when i called mrs. sneed said that around 50 or so applications have been sent in to her thus far!

are you serious? Already 50 applications? I'm getting nervous now.

Last edited:
I am applying and don't know what my chances are anymore. Still waiting on one more recommendation letter which doesn't come till next week. How is everyone doing with the personal statement?

Just a quick question. What does URM stand for?

Baylor and UT-Houston.

Students were told this by the faculty and people who started the UTD post bacc program at the post bacc meeting.

Which 2 schools? Is this documented anywhere or is this just the word on the street?

Just a quick question. What does URM stand for?

Under represented minority.

In all honesty, I am just trying to help you guys out. I have been here at UTD for the last 2 years, and I have met with almost all the students in the Baylor Post Bacc program and they were all URM. It obviously doesnt hurt to apply, but I would have a plan B.

yep. i called them in tuesday and thats what mrs. sneed said. Le ts all have hope and faith that we get interviews! im rooting for everyone! :>)

Oh pleasee I hope I get in, I sent my application in on the first day (Jan 24th)..I really hope the date matters. G00d luck to all the other applicants, and Im really glad this thread picked up lol :p

dentfan, why didnt u get ONE letter from a predental advisor? That was also an option. Thats what I did, instead of trying to get two from professors.

I am applying and don't know what my chances are anymore. Still waiting on one more recommendation letter which doesn't come till next week. How is everyone doing with the personal statement?

wow the 24th? i didnt recieve the application untilll like the 21! i didnt know anything about it till then. im sure applying early will play a HUGE role in wether you get in or not

wow the 24th? i didnt recieve the application untilll like the 21! i didnt know anything about it till then. im sure applying early will play a HUGE role in wether you get in or not

Thanks for giving me high hopes Smiletoday! :) well I kind of found out about this program last summer.

Thanks for giving me high hopes Smiletoday! :) well I kind of found out about this program last summer.
Aww you're welcome! So Did you graduate already? I grad this may but I applied to dental school last summer. didn't get in...bummer...so I'm really hoping for a shot at this program. It's such a wonderful opportunity and I can't wait to hear from them. I heard that they start handing out interviews like around the end of march and interviews are the first week of April.

Hello Everyone :)
I applied to the program as well...and I'm getting anxious! I need March/April to get here like ASAP lol

Smiletoday, I have not graduated yet. I will in May, and I also applied but did not get in, :(.

Cupidsfriend<<<-- lol cute.

I think we all want March/April to be here alreadyy. My birthday is a week after they let us know wheather we are accepted or not..I hope its a good bday 4 me lol

Last edited:
I hope so too girly! =) I know it'll be an amazing year for all who get in.. hard work but one step closer to our goal.

I'm having a hard time finding a second professor to write me a Letter of recommendation. I was thinking of not applying to the Post-Bac program, but I think I am now...I also graduate this May from UTD. Are you guys applying elsewhere? any Out of State dental school? which would you recommend? I want to stay as close to texas as possible.

Hi everyone,

I haven't applied or taken my DAT yet but my Stats are kind of low. I am thinking about applying for this program next year just in case i don't make it to Dental School in the coming cycle.

I just have a few questions that I can't find them on the brochure.

1. In the Eligibility Criteria: it says "Be a legal resident of Texas", does it mean you have to be a texas resident by the time you apply?
2. What if you want to apply for this program next year, when is the best time to apply?
3. How long does this program take anyway? Is there a course-list anywhere?

To drgurl: you said that "you are gauranteed admission into dental school." Is it true that if you get above 3.2 GPA, you are guaranteed admission?

Thank you,

Last edited:
Hello Wizi,
1. Yes, you have to be a legal resident of Texas by the time you apply...meaning that you would need to be a Texas resident for at least 1 year.
2. As long as you apply before the deadline..you're good.
3. The program has 2 summer components and 1 academic year, you'll take 30 hours or so...they'll advise you on what classes to take.

Another thing you should keep in mind is that to be eligible for this program you would have to be rejected from Baylor Dental school. So before you apply to this program, apply to Baylor Dental school. The best time to apply is when they begin accepting application, which is stated in the brochure, it is usually end of January.

Hi everyone,

I haven't applies or taken my DAT yet but my Stats are kind of low. I am thinking about applying for this program next year just in case i don't make it to Dental School in the coming cycle.

I just have a few questions that I can't find them on the brochure.

1. In the Eligibility Criteria: it says "Be a legal resident of Texas", does it mean you have to be a texas resident by the time you apply?
2. What if you want to apply for this program next year, when is the best time to apply?
3. How long does this program take anyway? Is there a course-list anywhere?

To drgurl: you said that "you are gauranteed admission into dental school." Is it true that if you get above 3.2 GPA, you are guaranteed admission?

Thank you,

Hello Wizi,
1. Yes, you have to be a legal resident of Texas by the time you apply...meaning that you would need to be a Texas resident for at least 1 year.

Thanks Cupidsfriend, drgurl,
Just 1 more question:
it takes one year to become a TX resident then it takes another year of residency to be able to apply to Baylor so basically you need 2 years in order to apply to Baylor right?

Your calculation sounds about right.

Does anyone know if which college you graduate from is a factor in their selection.

Thanks Cupidsfriend, drgurl,
Just 1 more question:
it takes one year to become a TX resident then it takes another year of residency to be able to apply to Baylor so basically you need 2 years in order to apply to Baylor right?

Your calculation sounds about right.

Does anyone know if which college you graduate from is a factor in their selection.
From what I know, I don't think that matters. But what does matter is your essay. That's what I'm hearing. I really wish that someone who's in The program currently could give us some more insight.

From what I know, I don't think that matters. But what does matter is your essay. That's what I'm hearing. I really wish that someone who's in The program currently could give us some more insight.

you are talking about the one page statement of why you consider yourself disadvantaged, correct? How was yours? I listed the reasons why I considered myself disadvantaged, and what I hope to gain from the program and just a few other things, pretty much what they wanted to know, listed on the brochure.

Last edited:
you are talking about the one page statement of why you consider yourself disadvantaged, correct? How was yours? I listed the reasons why I considered myself disadvantaged, and what I hope to gain from the program and just a few other things, pretty much what they wanted to know, listed on the brochure.

again on the essay part, do have to write about how we are disadvanted, even if we are only moderatly so

again on the essay part, do have to write about how we are disadvanted, even if we are only moderatly so

Yes even if you aren't disadvantaged, you write about why you may think that you are, and also any hardships you may have faced which had an effect on your academic history.

Yes that's what i did too. I answered all their questions to the best of my ability

HASsasin,
If you do not meet the critieria listed on the brochure, then do not waste your time on it..like everyone has said, it's targeted towards disadvantaged.. you seem pretty confused about it for some reason when it's clearly stated on the brochure...:)

Last edited:
HASsasin,
If you do not meet the critieria listed on the brochure, then do not waste your time on it..like everyone has said, it's targeted towards disadvantaged.. you seem pretty confused about it for some reason when it's clearly stated on the brochure...:)

lol its not that im confused, its that im conflicted bc i REALLY wanna go to this, but (thankfully) was not disadvanted or URM lol

lol its not that im confused, its that im conflicted bc i REALLY wanna go to this, but (thankfully) was not disadvanted or URM lol

HASassin , have you applied to Baylor Dental School before?

Aww you're welcome! So Did you graduate already? I grad this may but I applied to dental school last summer. didn't get in...bummer...so I'm really hoping for a shot at this program. It's such a wonderful opportunity and I can't wait to hear from them. I heard that they start handing out interviews like around the end of march and interviews are the first week of April.

Hey SmileToday! Where did you hear they start interviews in late March? I was under the impression that the interviews would start earlier. It stated that applications will be considered after completion and the interviews will be at an ongoing basis.

Hey SmileToday! Where did you hear they start interviews in late March? I was under the impression that the interviews would start earlier. It stated that applications will be considered after completion and the interviews will be at an ongoing basis.

The deadline is March 11th, and after that they will be on spring break. So im guessing applicants will be called for interviews during the last week of MARCH.