BCBA and APA accredited masters of clinical psych at one school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LookitsKaitlyn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am interested in becoming a licensed psychologist (leaning towards masters as I am more interested in practicing, still considering a Phd or PsyD) and having my BCBA certification. I am looking for a single school that can offer me both. Help?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You cannot become a licensed psychologist with a master's degree. You can be licensed professional counselor or a licensed social worker.

I'm pretty sure you can become a licensed psychologist with a masters degree..... It's a different license, sometimes called "limited license" some states have different names

Nope, many states protect the term Licensed Psychologist to those with doctoral degrees. There may be some states out there that have a generic license, but I haven't run across it yet. You can become something akin to Counselor, or LPC or the like. But, it's not a psychologist. In those states where it is protected, if you try to label yourself as such professionally, you can face loss of whatever license you do have and possibly legal action.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, many states protect the term Licensed Psychologist to those with doctoral degrees. There may be some states out there that have a generic license, but I haven't run across it yet. You can become something akin to Counselor, or LPC or the like. But, it's not a psychologist. In those states where it is protected, if you try to label yourself as such professionally, you can face loss of whatever license you do have and possibly legal action.

Good to know! Thank you. So I guess to update my question; I am looking for schools with Clinical Psy.D or Ph.D programs that also have the required coursework available for BCBA certification.

http://www.enamp.org/PDF/Licensure Information NAMP.pdf

The homepage indicates this "organization " is relatively new compared to APA. THE "limited license" you spoke of is generally under the supervision of a doctoral level psychologist and what you can provide is limited as well. Most of the states have masters level school psychologists but they are usually restricted to working in schools. To get the least restrictive license you need a doctorate in psychology field (PhD or PsyD).

Last edited:
Eastern Michigan's clinical program has an ABA emphasis. You can check it out. But I don't think any clinical program has all the required coursework.

Check out Southern Illinois, SUNY Binghamton, Southern Mississippi, and Lehigh. They may have opportunities to get the BCBA while get a licensable doctorate. There may be other schools where it's on option to take BACB approved course sequence while earning your PhD in clinical/counseling. The courses required for the BCBA for the most part won't be applicable for clinical licensure, so you'd be doing them as extras or electives. ABA doctoral programs generally won't prepare you for psych licensure, so you can't do it that way. Most of the combo licensed psychologists/BCBAs I know (including myself) did not do their BCBA training during their graduate psychology training, instead doing it afterwards or getting the BCBA credential through non-coursework options.

Last edited:
http://www.enamp.org/PDF/Licensure Information NAMP.pdf

The homepage indicates this "organization " is relatively new compared to APA. THE "limited license" you spoke of is generally under the supervision of a doctoral level psychologist and what you can provide is limited as well. Most of the states have masters level school psychologists but they are usually restricted to working in schools. To get the least restrictive license you need a doctorate in psychology field (PhD or PsyD).

that's a good resource, but there's a problem with that in that those licensures are different, with different degrees and different expectations. I know this because my MA is in one of those states and it sets you up for licensure. While in my masters program and I realized my occupational choices were to go on for a phd or work at that masters level, I honestly started looking at managing a fast food joint. Not for the money or the prestige, but because the licensure of that degree is essentially worthless IMO. My degree was great, but what the state limits that degree to is NOT great. And the pay- the pay is TERRIBLE.

I know someone who practices as a psychological associate (or something like that, masters level) in WV, and I can say she seems pretty happy with that choice. She got that route though by washing out of my doctoral program (largely due to her advisor, tbh).

Eastern Michigan's clinical program has an ABA emphasis. You can check it out. But I don't think any clinical program has all the required coursework.

Eastern offers coursework and practicum experiences consistent with both BACB and APA requirements. Many graduates of the program pursue BCBA-D licensure in addition to the LP. Additionally, the program offers a terminal masters degree that allows graduates to pursue a limited "psychologist" license, in addition to their BCBA. Feel free to PM with any specific questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Pittsburg State University in Kansas has a masters degree with BCBA certification. Tuition is very reasonable. It is a new program starting this fall. I can give you contact information for the program director if you are interested. In Kansas, there is a distinct masters level psychologist practitioner level. The program is officially a clinical psych with an emphasis on behavioral psychology, but it provides the requisite courses to sit for the BCBA test.

Graduate Programs