BCBA and LPC Graduate school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bailejor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Throughout my 4 years as a psychology major I've come up with many ideas about what I want to do as a career starting with a clinical psychologist to I/O psych, now I'm about to graduate in April and have come up with what I think is the best course of action. I'm fairly certain I would like to earn a MA or MS in counseling which I would like to do mainly for the reason of becoming bcba certified, however I am also interested in becoming a LPC, although not quite as much. ABA interests me because of the wide range of applications, ability to work with those who have autism spectrum disorders, working in schools, and even business. LPC seems to be geared to only providing therapy, which interests me but I would worry about becoming burned out on it.

I've narrowed it down to two options for schooling, Western Michigan University's Grand Rapids campus offers a masters in clinical mental health counseling, which fills the educational requirement to sit for the LPC exam after 3000 hours of practicum. This would require me to take extra courses in behavior analysis to fill the educational requirement to sit for BCBA exam (I believe, I'm pretty certain WMU does not offer these courses in Grand Rapids), along with the 1000 or so hours of practicum required to take the exam.

Nova Southeastern offers a distance learning program in counseling with an emphasis in ABA which fills the educational requirement to sit for BCBA exam as well as the educational requirement for LPC. This would seem to be the better alternative but I've never taken an online course and would be somewhat concerned with this.

Although I've researched this pretty thoroughly my questions are: Is there any reason I would want to earn a LPC before my BCBA or in place of it that I could be missing? :scared: I believe the potential to earn more money is with BCBA over LPC. Would the practicum hours for one apply to the other and vice versa? (In other words can the hours of practice needed to sit for both exams be accrued simultaneously?) :xf:

Also any other helpful comments or concerns from BCBAs and LPCs out there are encouraged.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same question and was wondering what path you ultimately chose. How would you respond to this same question today?

Members don't see this ad :)
BCBA here! I did all courses at a brick and mortar just because I enjoy actually attending classes. FIT (Florida Institute of Technology) has an excellent hybrid program (classes are online and at a local ABA company that has partnered with FIT). I know some people that have done their coursework and degrees online and it doesn't appear that it's impacted their career, but this could change as the field of ABA progresses. I would highly recommend WMU's program if you have the opportunity as it is highly regarded within the field. I would have gone their if I had the chance!

BCBA along with a license to practice psychology would have the greatest earning potential and most independence in my opinion. Many states allow BCBAs to practice on their own, but some states won't provide reimbursement unless you have a license. I'm in California and BCBAs do quite well here.

I doubt the BACB would accept LPC hours. They have very specific supervision requirements.