BCBS calling TON ablation experimental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clubdeac

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my first denial in pp. Guy with neck pain and cervicogenic HAs responded great to a set of C2/3-C4/5 facet injections followed by positive C2-5 mbbs. They are denying C2/3 RFA stating ablation above C3/4 is experimental? wtf? How do I handle this and does anyone have literature they can send me to refute this.

Members don't see this ad.

First thing to do is get a set of their guidelines, and look at their bibliography/references.

Last edited:
Just did a peer to peer. Any tips as this was my first ever! The lady was a *****. She said they simple do not cover C2/3 RFA in their policy. When asked based on what data, she had no clue. I then explained to her the one study by Bogduk in 1995 that questioned the utility at this level blamed lack of relief on poor technique at the time. I then provided her with 4 subsequent studies showing efficacy. I then asked her why the other two levels were denied and she responded that the exact dates of PT were not documented! He's been going to therapy off and on for the last 4 yrs!

My question is, what is the process from here? She said if I got her the PT notes, she would give them to the medical director for review and reconsideration. If they don't approve after that what is my recourse? Do I threaten to contact the insurance commisioner stating they have no evidence-based explanation for their denials? What verbiage and leverage do you use in these situations!? What a bunch of bs

Members don't see this ad :)
Jon, you are all over the map, and need a more focused approach. Firstly, Steve might be right, but he might just as well be wrong. This process is carrier dependent, and state dependent, so what works in Georgia might not work in North Carolina. Louisiana workers comp, for instance, does not allow for specialty specific appeals.

I have a 90 percent approval rate, both with comp, and third party payers. Attorneys have learned this, and send these kind of cases to me, specifically when other guys can't get authorization.

I know it's boring, but at some point, you have to learn the rules. They're not hard to find. Do a Google search and read them. Read about the process, and about the specific criteria for each procedure you want to do. When you have a peer to peer, know them cold, or have them in front of you. The paid shill on the other end of the phone doesn't know them better than you, and often doesn't know them at all. Educate him. explain politely how he's either miss reading the rules, applying the wrong rule, or not recognizing that there are other components of the rules that apply.

This is a multi-step process. Step 1 is, does it meet the specifics listed in the rules. If you can figure out a way that it does, even if the ***** the other side figured out a way to deny it, you can explain to him why the rules allow for it to be done. This is not the time to tell him why the rules are wrong. His job is to say yes or no based on the rules.

Typically, there are one or two appeals allowed. Again, this is state specific, but at some point in these appeals, you can start to challenge the underpinnings of the rules. Typically you do so by requesting a variance. In Louisiana, the rules about variances are very specific; the articles have to be newer than the ones the rules were based on, and of higher quality.

Thursday I have a peer to peer about a CESI I have a question. The reviewer was an General orthopedist from Shreveport. patient had a C3/4 posterior herniation, with lower neck and bilateral shoulder girdle generalized aching, as well as circumferential bilateral upper extremity numbness, paresthesias, and occasional sharp shooting pains. He was referred to me after having undergone 6 weeks of physical therapy and medication management under the direction of his primary care physician His first argument was, that without muscle weakness, were an EMG, there was no evidence of radiculopathy. I pointed out to him that, while radiculopathy is one criteria based upon which a CESI can be be authorized, our guidelines also allow for radicular pain , or even axial pain in combination with an annular tear to justify the performance of a CESI .

His next argument was, if a lesion is a C3/4, why are you doing the injection in C7/T1. This is where I sigh, roll my eyes, and then try I try to explain basic pain management 101.

The reviewer ultimately said that sounds good to me, I'll try and do everything I can to get this authorized. I have learned however, that good percentage of the time they will still deny, based on criteria that you haven't even discussed with them. So I always ask, as my last question, is there anything else that we need to discuss that might prevent you from approving this. The reason this is important is that, if they say no, and then do it anyway, they have now overtly lied. This is grounds for obtaining interest, penalties, and attorneys fees.

Got the written authorization via fax later that afternoon.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The reviewer ultimately said that sounds good to me, I'll try and do everything I can to get this authorized. I have learned however, that good percentage of the time they will still deny, based on criteria that you haven't even discussed with them. So I always ask, as my last question, is there anything else that we need to discuss that might prevent you from approving this. The reason this is important is that, if they say no, and then do it anyway, they have now overtly lied. This is grounds for obtaining interest, penalties, and attorneys fees.

Brilliant post, thank you for sharing this important point.

Looks I will asking for a variance or disputing the effing rules. Per their guidelines C2/3 RFA is experimental. In addition, you need radiographic confirmation of facet dx prior to proceeding with any RFA, lumbar or cervical!! Oh and thoracic and SIJ RFA are experimental as well. Are you serious!?!?

Here's the bull**** letter they sent me!? Really so we just can't do TON procedures on BCBS patients??

Attachments

• BCBS denial.pdf
    54.5 KB · Views: 94
Here's the bullcrap letter they sent me!? Really so we just can't do TON procedures on BCBS patients??

Correct. So you now need to do C2-C4 mbbs to get paid anything to do this procedure.

Regence/Premera in my state will no longer pay for SIJ injections, lateral branch blocks, SIJ RFA, nor SIJ arthrodesis. Essentially, I can do nothing for these folks.

We should make this a sticky....it will also apply to lumbar and cervical MBB's and this will only get worse. I posted about a cervical MBB that was denied by Cigna in the physicians forum. And since this might be a location frequented by insurance companies and their medical directors, privacy is important in this war.

What do they say when you cite Medicare guidelines?

If you rf c3,4 and TON I'm assuming they will still pay for 3,4 and you did the TON for free or will they deny whole thing?

Well just got off the phone with another asswipe from BCBS. Patient's neck pain started following MVA in 2011. Underwent 5 mos PT, the 65 pages of notes I went over with him. Responded well with > 80% relief for 6 weeks to facet injections and for duration of anesthetic to two comparative mbb's. Still denying C3-6 RFA based on lack of spondylosis/arthrosis on imaging. Un****ing believable! I asked for a same specialty peer to peer as he was FP Also got updated in house xrays and will speak to radiologist about what to address. What a bunch of ****!

Well just got off the phone with another asswipe from BCBS. Patient's neck pain started following MVA in 2011. Underwent 5 mos PT, the 65 pages of notes I went over with him. Responded well with > 80% relief for 6 weeks to facet injections and for duration of anesthetic to two comparative mbb's. Still denying C3-6 RFA based on lack of spondylosis/arthrosis on imaging. Un****ing believable! I asked for a same specialty peer to peer as he was FP Also got updated in house xrays and will speak to radiologist about what to address. What a bunch of ****!
Not even "minimal" facet djd/spondylosis at any level? Please get your radiologists eyes checked, or at least send him an edible arrangement to make him "see" some "minimal facet djd" next time.

:wink: :wink:

6 levels (3 each side) does seem like a lot...

Just right side, C3-6. That's not too much!? I mean he responded well to THREE facet interventions over 12 months and prior to that failed PT, NSAIDs, and multiple adjuvants... if they don't want to pay just admit it. Dont' make up bs rules that have no medical basis or bearing on outcomes. That's what I told the reviewer... probably didn't help my case

Try writing to the state insurance commissioner to apply some pressure. I am seriously contemplating going to law school just so I can file suit against Cigna and Aetna for their BS policy guidelines that they conger from either air or someone's arse. These denials are just getting ridiculous at this point.

Jon, you are all over the map, and need a more focused approach. Firstly, Steve might be right, but he might just as well be wrong. This process is carrier dependent, and state dependent, so what works in Georgia might not work in North Carolina. Louisiana workers comp, for instance, does not allow for specialty specific appeals.

I have a 90 percent approval rate, both with comp, and third party payers. Attorneys have learned this, and send these kind of cases to me, specifically when other guys can't get authorization.

I know it's boring, but at some point, you have to learn the rules. They're not hard to find. Do a Google search and read them. Read about the process, and about the specific criteria for each procedure you want to do. When you have a peer to peer, know them cold, or have them in front of you. The paid shill on the other end of the phone doesn't know them better than you, and often doesn't know them at all. Educate him. explain politely how he's either miss reading the rules, applying the wrong rule, or not recognizing that there are other components of the rules that apply.

This is a multi-step process. Step 1 is, does it meet the specifics listed in the rules. If you can figure out a way that it does, even if the ***** the other side figured out a way to deny it, you can explain to him why the rules allow for it to be done. This is not the time to tell him why the rules are wrong. His job is to say yes or no based on the rules.

Typically, there are one or two appeals allowed. Again, this is state specific, but at some point in these appeals, you can start to challenge the underpinnings of the rules. Typically you do so by requesting a variance. In Louisiana, the rules about variances are very specific; the articles have to be newer than the ones the rules were based on, and of higher quality.

Thursday I have a peer to peer about a CESI I have a question. The reviewer was an General orthopedist from Shreveport. patient had a C3/4 posterior herniation, with lower neck and bilateral shoulder girdle generalized aching, as well as circumferential bilateral upper extremity numbness, paresthesias, and occasional sharp shooting pains. He was referred to me after having undergone 6 weeks of physical therapy and medication management under the direction of his primary care physician His first argument was, that without muscle weakness, were an EMG, there was no evidence of radiculopathy. I pointed out to him that, while radiculopathy is one criteria based upon which a CESI can be be authorized, our guidelines also allow for radicular pain , or even axial pain in combination with an annular tear to justify the performance of a CESI .

His next argument was, if a lesion is a C3/4, why are you doing the injection in C7/T1. This is where I sigh, roll my eyes, and then try I try to explain basic pain management 101.

Correct. So you now need to do C2-C4 mbbs to get paid anything to do this procedure.

Regence/Premera in my state will no longer pay for SIJ injections, lateral branch blocks, SIJ RFA, nor SIJ arthrodesis. Essentially, I can do nothing for these folks.

Pacificsource is saying the same thing here. I have a patient with SIJ pain and short term relief from SIJ injection. Pacificsource denied RFA but did OK her for a visit to OHSU. They agreed that it was SIJ pain and suggested SCS. I wanted to apply for PA and if they approved then point out the idiocy of what they approve vs deny, but the patient didn't want to apply.