BCM: URM(Black Male), ~3.5 cGPA/BCPM, Texas Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureERDoc16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently finishing up my sophomore year at a university nationally ranked in the top 20.

Basic info:

Major: Chemistry/Neuroscience
GPA: 3.457 cGPA/3.5 sGPA ----> strong positive trend (3.8 GPA for sophomore year)
EC's: Volunteer EMT (500 hours), Research with chem. professor (just started in April), General Chemistry Lab Tech (2 years), Organic Lab TA (1 semester), Medical Reserve Corps for my local county (200 hours), Shadowing (100 hours), Honors Thesis w/ chem degree.

My EC's are pretty bland, any suggestions on things I can get involved with to help solidify my app?

I'm planning on taking the MCAT this upcoming August. I've only taken one practice MCAT, which was at the end of my freshman year. For that particular exam, I scored a 26 (8PS, 10VR, 8BS). Of course, these scores are probably not very representative of what I'm capable of attaining now, after taking a year of biology, physics, and organic chemistry. Being a Texas resident, BCM has always been at the top of my list of options. I just wanted to know what my chances are of getting in (if I score, say, a 33 on the MCAT), and what I could do to improve my application by this time next year?

Members don't see this ad.

You're in great shape at this point --
Really, just keep doing what you're doing.