BCPM courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prettyslick

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just couple questions regarding BCPM courses:

1. ANY COURSE offered in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math department goes under BCPM uGPA or only certain core courses like Orgo, Gen Chem, Gen Bio etc etc?

2. AAMC pdf file (http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2008amcasinstructionsrvs.pdf) says Astronomy (under Physics) is also in BCPM uGPA. Now my question is; I took Astronomy which was offered in Astronomy department...Would this course (Astronomy) go under BCPM or ONLY if it was offered in Physics department? Just confused about this...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Any bio, chem, physics, etc. course goes under the BCPM, not just the pre-reqs. Astronomy falls under the heading of "physics" so even if it's in the astronomy department, it still counts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any bio, chem, physics, etc. course goes under the BCPM, not just the pre-reqs. Astronomy falls under the heading of "physics" so even if it's in the astronomy department, it still counts.

And what if the Astronomy course is called "Descriptive Astronomy"?

And what if the Astronomy course is called "Descriptive Astronomy"?

How you classify a course is more dependent on the content than it is on the title. It's basically a judgement call; did the course involve physics, math, etc.? Regardless, I doubt that anyone would red flag any course with the word "astronomy" in it as not being a science.