Bcps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nafcillin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth getting this acronym after my name? Anyone have any strong opinions on BCPS testing and its worth? I heard the pass rate is low so the test must be difficult.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends what you want to do. I plan on taking it.

Is it worth getting this acronym after my name? Anyone have any strong opinions on BCPS testing and its worth? I heard the pass rate is low so the test must be difficult.

In an area with a tough job market, it may be worth the additional alphabet soup. In an area with an easy job market it may not be, especially if you have no intention of transfering for a few years. Once you get some experience behind you, the job hunt may not be as tough. I'll probably go for it just so I've got a competitive advantage in the SoCal market.

Members don't see this ad :)
I plan on taking it with 2 of my 3 co-workers next year. It's more for my own personal edification because I'm nerdy like that. I think it will help me do my job better, but I don't think I'll get any sort of pay increase for it. Scratch that, I know I won't - they only pay for the exam.

I think the pass rate is around 75% for pharmacotherapy...that isn't too low.

Hello everyone,
did anyone pass the spring bcps 2016. how did you study for the regulatory part of the exam.

Somehow I passed it, but I'm pretty sure I got most of the regulatory stuff wrong. Looking back at the outline provided by BPS I think the best thing I could've done was just to look into each bullet point.

Personally, I have no interest in doing BCPS. You study for this test to get a job that you can have without studying for it.

Most people with BCPS wind up staffing at a hospital anyway. Some places don't even give you a pay raise for having the certification. I don't plan on taking this exam. I'm not paying $300 - $400 for materials, and paying to take this exam, and paying money to keep these credentials, only to have a job that pays $90,000 - $115,000 a year when I can do the same thing without it.

Some pharmacists with BCPS are dumb as a rock. Some without BCPS know more than those who have it.

Personally, I have no interest in doing BCPS. You study for this test to get a job that you can have without studying for it.

Most people with BCPS wind up staffing at a hospital anyway. Some places don't even give you a pay raise for having the certification. I don't plan on taking this exam. I'm not paying $300 - $400 for materials, and paying to take this exam, and paying money to keep these credentials, only to have a job that pays $90,000 - $115,000 a year when I can do the same thing without it.

Some pharmacists with BCPS are dumb as a rock. Some without BCPS know more than those who have it.

Then...don't do it.

My employer paid for test + study materials & pays for continuing CE + annual bonus. I'd have been dumb as a rock *not* to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I've never gotten the BCPS but I do have a specialty BC certification. I find it useful just professionally when advocating for certain interventions/policies because you have your certification as well as your years of experience to back you up. It just provides a little extra 'oomph' in the political scheme of things. But that just from my perspective. It doesn't really translate to real money for my current situation, but I'd like to think it adds another bit of something that keeps my current position secure.

Now I've never taken the BCPS, but I hear it can be quite random in asking questions. I find the specialty ones 'easier' to take? Mostly because you're concentrating on one subject. You have to know what you want to specialize in though.

I've never gotten the BCPS but I do have a specialty BC certification. I find it useful just professionally when advocating for certain interventions/policies because you have your certification as well as your years of experience to back you up. It just provides a little extra 'oomph' in the political scheme of things. But that just from my perspective.

I'm not really sure about that. A lot of physicians aren't even aware what a BCPS is. Some may know if you specialize (ID, HIV, ect) but probably are not aware of the actual exam.

I'm not really sure about that. A lot of physicians aren't even aware what a BCPS is. Some may know if you specialize (ID, HIV, ect) but probably are not aware of the actual exam.

I am not talking about physicians but towards my dealings with pharmacy management.