BCSE Studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Devil Jatt86

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends, I am a graduate from India, and currently studying for BCSE. I am planning on reading the Merck Veterinary Manual and doing 45 days of ZUKU review. I was wondering, will that be enough or do I need to consult other books. I have also read Anatomy and Physiology of Farm Animals by Rowen D. Frandson. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Devil Jatt86, how have you been doing? I am looking for study partners thru Skype. Maybe we could help each other and the other reviewees? I am studying BCSE, just started and planning to take the exams mid sept. Cheers!

Hello Devil Jatt86, how have you been doing? I am looking for study partners thru Skype. Maybe we could help each other and the other reviewees? I am studying BCSE, just started and planning to take the exams mid sept. Cheers!
Hi Zoey12,please leave me your email id

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello friends, I am a graduate from India, and currently studying for BCSE. I am planning on reading the Merck Veterinary Manual and doing 45 days of ZUKU review. I was wondering, will that be enough or do I need to consult other books. I have also read Anatomy and Physiology of Farm Animals by Rowen D. Frandson. Thanks
Hi,ZUKU and Merck will help you.Please leave me your email id,Gud luck

Hi! I'm currently preparing to give the BCSE in about a year from now (I usually procrastinate so it takes that long!). Currently I'm pretty much starting from scratch and making notes first. I'm going through the list of disorders available on ZUKU (very incomplete, just for starters: https://zukureview.com/navle/notes) and making my own notes on everything. I wonder if anybody has any advice on what books I could read. Or some review materials to share (especially the University of Florida videos, which I can't seem to get a hold of). I currently have the A to Z I got online that I'm also going through.

I also found out that the passing rate for CPE takers is super low. I wonder what people are doing to practice for that? Ideally, it would be good to get a job shadow/volunteer opportunity in the US to learn the ways of veterinarians there but due to visa issues, this seems to be impossible for foreigners.

Cheers :)

Hello foreign trained Vets,
I am also preparing for BCSE exam, practicing veterinarian, working in India, I already took BCSE exam last year 2014 n got failed, scored 480 out of total 900 score, passing score was 580/900. I used Merck veterinary manual 9th edition, NVMS small animal internal medicine, NVMS Large animal internal medicine, www.veterinaryradiology.net for radiology.
Which study material u hv been studing for BCSE, and when u r planning to appear for BCSE Exam ?
Thanks.

Hi Indian_Veterinarian. I'm actually planning to take the BCSE sometime in 2015 depending on how my preparation goes. Most likely around the end of 2015. I think for the first few months I'll read books. From what I can tell the Pasquini series are supposed to be good ones.

Pasquini's Guide to Bovine Clinics
Pasquini's Guide to Equine Clinics
Pasquini and Spurgeon's Anatomy
Tschauner's Guide to Small Animal Clinics
Theresa Fossum's Surgery
Thrall is supposed to be good for Radiology

The last two I don't have, but will try to find. I'm still looking for a good Pathology and Physiology books. Pharmacology I think I'll just rely on my vet school notes.

Thanks for your Radiology website tip...looks very useful. On top of the books, I'll subscribe to ZUKU review: https://zukureview.com/bcse/subscriptions. I don't know if it will be helpful but I can't find anything else out there. Also check out the youtube channel Vetelib. It's got some good lectures and is free.

From the reviews I've read around the web, people say ZUKU is good for BCSE and that VetPrep is good for NAVLE. Both are unfortunately a little bit pricey!

Good luck. I'm sure we'll make it happen!

hi, i'm a vet from India. I'm planning to give BCSE sometime towards the end of 2015. Any suggestions which are the important books to read? Generally how does one go about studying for the exam? I suppose its very different kind than the exams we generally give in India!

I am planning on sitting for the BCSE this June and am looking for a study partner. Am located in Nebraska, Omaha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there,
I am an Egyptian veterinarian graduated from non-accredited veterinary college. I am planning to immigrate to Quebec, Canada. I am going to depart next July 2015. Till now I did not take any actions regarding the BCSE exam. Except, I already passed the IELTS test with the required score. Regarding the preparation for BCSE, unfortunately, I did not have any plans yet. I do not know what is the suitable materials and references to pass such exam.
I appreciate your guidance and experience regarding that matter.
Thanks in advance.

Which book is good for preparing clinical vet anatomy, vet surgery, anesthesia sections for BCSE exam ?

Last edited:
Hey there,
I am an Egyptian veterinarian graduated from non-accredited veterinary college. I am planning to immigrate to Quebec, Canada. I am going to depart next July 2015. Till now I did not take any actions regarding the BCSE exam. Except, I already passed the IELTS test with the required score. Regarding the preparation for BCSE, unfortunately, I did not have any plans yet. I do not know what is the suitable materials and references to pass such exam.
Thanks in advance.
Dear Vet, I got failed last year by 100 marks. I can not guide you , but would advise you that prepare well from good books like veterinary merck manual 10 th edition, NVMS small animal internal medicne , NVMS large animal internal medicine books . Use other good books for preparing surgery section, clinical anatomy section, physiology pharmacology and clinical pathology sections lot many questions were asked from these sections. Use good books and online material for X-ray diagnosis cases. I am preparing for BCSE exam and will write in coming months. BCSE exam is hard now. pattern changed.

Reactions: 1 users
Since the ECFVG programme fee is acitve for 2 yrs from the date of starting, so how early should I register to get the desired date?

Any suggestion about how to study for surgery? what kind of questions are asked? Please help me if anyone has any idea regarding this!

I am planning on sitting for the BCSE this June and am looking for a study partner. Am located in Nebraska, Omaha.

Hi, I just started preparing for BCSE and English at the same time.
How do you study?
I just found the zuku prep and am going to start with it.

Hi, any idea after sending application to CVMA, how long it takes to get back from them so that can register for BCSE exam.

I wan t prepare for BCSE exam and need a partner anybody in Alberta taking exam?

Any one preparing for BCSE exam ?I am from India, preparing for BCSE exam, it will be my second attempt, failed last year by 100 marks, will write this year end.

Last edited:
I wan t prepare for BCSE exam and need a partner anybody in Alberta taking exam?
Hello,

I am in Calgary! Preparing to take the exam in May.

Lets exchange some experiences.

Cheers,

Tathiana

Hi everybody

I am preparing for BCSE exam next August. I need help with veterinary Anatomy and surgery resources.

thanks

Hello,

I am in Calgary! Preparing to take the exam in May.

Lets exchange some experiences.

Cheers,

Tathiana

Hi

I am from Hamilton,ON . We can share information and resources by email if want.

thanks

Hey there,
Thanks in advance.
hi Basiouny ... i am from Egypt also....how can i contact you?

Hello! I am a vet from India. Planning to take my BCSE this December. I have to begin studying. Is 5 months sufficient to prepare for BCSE. The reference books listed in the ECFVG website makes it too overwhelming to read. How do I begin? Please help me figure this out.

Is there any body preparing for BCSE?? Can we do it together??

Hi, any idea after sending application to CVMA, how long it takes to get back from them so that can register for BCSE exam.
Hi there, I'm studying close to Ottawa. From sending in all papers until acceptance took over 2months for me. Then you need to apply (and pay) for the BSCE registration at NEB again, that took only a few days.

(EDIT: I have now completed the entire ECFVG and NAVLE, this is an old post)

Hello to everyone. I already took the BCSE a little over a month ago and passed.
When I perused these forums before taking the exam I was always thankful for advice from someone who had completed the process (although it's rare that someone would give feedback).

I am here to give some feedback regarding the BCSE preparation.
I used the ZUKU review for BCSE (as oppose to the NAVLE program they offer). Before doing all this I actually called the Zuku review, and it's true what they say.... Dr. Zuku himself (Dr. Steve McLaughlin) answered the phone. He was VERY kind and helpful, and gave me lots of encouraging wisdom.

I decided to go with Zuku. I studied off-and-on for about 3 months. I did all of the study-mode questions, and about half of the test-mode questions. I wrote down everything that I did not know. I also made 1-page summaries of ALL the zuku flash notes for each species. I didn't use many other resources. Mostly Zuku Review.
By the end of my studying, I was constantly getting an average of 56/60 on the test-mode tests (it didn't start that way, so don't wory if you are rusty at first). I was a good student in vet school and graduated valedictorian, so my background was relatively solid. However, when I started to study for the BCSE it had been well over a year since I last saw any veterinary terminology... so my mind was mostly blank. It took a while to get back in shape.

On test day, I walked in with lots of confidence, and then quickly got the crap scared out of me with the first couple of questions. They were quite different to what I was used to!... DUH... The Zuku Review is NOT going to give you identical questions. It serves as a pattern of the major topics for you to be aware of. It is a sort of guide for you to have a defined study path. I was very nervous for the first 10 questions or so (I think they put some tough ones at the beginning to throw you off guard!)
However, I then relaxed and worked my way through the exam, and finished with about 45 minutes of extra time to go back and review some questions.

I left the test center unsure of how I did. I honestly couldn't tell if I had passed or failed. Plus, I don't even know how the scoring system works.
They say it takes about 4 weeks to get results, but I got mine in less than 2 weeks. All it says is PASS. They don't give you a score report.

REMEMBER: You are not expected to know everything... how could you? You are expected to know the same as a competent veterinary graduate in the USA... so that's not so hard. Everyone here had a good veterinary education, otherwise why would you be here? Just think of it that way, stay calm, study major topics and the major DDX for different cases.

I think that Zuku alone was good enough for someone with a good academic background.
Now, for the NAVLE I am trying out VetPrep just to diversify, and I like it a lot thus far. They are both great programs.
I hope this helps some of you! Stay calm and study.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much! I want to know one more thing since Zuku serves majorly medicine in their notes section how did you manage to read surgery, anesthesia , pharmacology, anatomy etc. Oh how rude of me... Sorry to have not wished you on your great success . I have a long gap of 12 years staying away from Vet Med. what should I do? Also doesn't have a lot of time to read.

Thank you so much! I want to know one more thing since Zuku serves majorly medicine in their notes section how did you manage to read surgery, anesthesia , pharmacology, anatomy etc. Oh how rude of me... Sorry to have not wished you on your great success . I have a long gap of 12 years staying away from Vet Med. what should I do? Also doesn't have a lot of time to read.

(EDIT: I have now completed the entire ECFVG and NAVLE, this is an old post)

Hello,
Every person and every situation is different. I was away from vetmed for over a year. I studied at an average veterinary program (not that great), but I really pushed myself to be the best that I can be. I feel that I got a solid education, mostly thanks to my independent efforts. So even if you have forgotten a few things in the 12 year gap, they will soon start to come back to you as you start refreshing your memory, like a hidden language that you once knew.

As for your other question... Yes, Zuku mostly mentions diseases and medicine in their flashnotes. For the other topics I just did ALL the study-mode questions. Whenever I got a question wrong, or didn't know much about the topic, I would write down the feedback that Zuku gave me. Sometimes they would even include links to a reference website or a page with more information, usually a Merck page which was too long to read, so I would just skim a few sentences to get the idea. Sometimes, I would go and search a topic on my own through google.

I never looked things up in my books. The only time I actually physically picked up a notebook was just to look over some clinical pathology notes, very early in the process.
After that, I depended 100% on Zuku and a few online resources. Sometimes Zuku will ask a question, for instance a surgery question. Whether you get it wrong or right, Zuku will still give you an explanation. In that explanation, they might mention several other techniques or surgical concepts that were not mentioned in the original question. It is YOUR job to look up those terms and have a basic understanding of them. No one is expecting you to be an expert, but give it 5 minutes of your time, and write down some short notes.

But like I said before, every person, every situation, and every case is completely different. Some people do better skimming through books. That was not the case for me.

Anyway, I know it's very vague, but I hope that helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much! You are too good! I have a group and we meet every Thursday and Sunday( most of it). Did you do any group studies? Did it help you? ( if yes). Cannot thank you enough for your quick reply and tips.

Reactions: 1 user
I wish I could help more!
I did not have a group study, but it sure would have been nice! I think that's a great idea, as long as you are with people who are at the same level or higher than you, although you also learn a lot from teaching others.
I did it all alone. I don't think there are other people in Lima, Peru going through the same process at the moment.

Definitely don't follow my study pattern if it doesn't suit you. DO study groups, READ books, and do everything that you can to maximize your studying in an organized manner.

Hi Dr. NWS did u register for zukureview premium or standard?

I purchased the Zuku BCSE program. Here is a copy of my invoice:

Title-----------------Unit----------------------------------Price------Quantity-----Total
BCSE/PAVE QE------6 Months Subscription (BCSE6)------$225.00-----1-----------------$225.00

Hello! I am a vet from Iran. Planning to take my BCSE this year. I have to begin studying.
Is there any body preparing for BCSE?
Lets exchange some experiences
thanks a lot

Hello

Anybody know the scale of passing score in BCSE , I know it has been set at 580 out of 900, but what about the number of questions should be answerd to pass the exam (out of 200 questions)?
Thanks

Anyone in Orlando studying for the BCSE? I'm planning to taking it in January.

Hi! I'm currently preparing to give the BCSE in about a year from now (I usually procrastinate so it takes that long!). Currently I'm pretty much starting from scratch and making notes first. I'm going through the list of disorders available on ZUKU (very incomplete, just for starters: https://zukureview.com/navle/notes) and making my own notes on everything. I wonder if anybody has any advice on what books I could read. Or some review materials to share (especially the University of Florida videos, which I can't seem to get a hold of). I currently have the A to Z I got online that I'm also going through.

I also found out that the passing rate for CPE takers is super low. I wonder what people are doing to practice for that? Ideally, it would be good to get a job shadow/volunteer opportunity in the US to learn the ways of veterinarians there but due to visa issues, this seems to be impossible for foreigners.

Cheers :)
How did you do with your BCSE. I am looking to find A-Z Cram notes. If you or anyone reading has access to those would you mind to share. Thanks in advance. [email protected]

Anybody in San Francisco or anywhere in Bay Area?

I failed BCSE exam twice, scored 420 2nd time, 44o first time. I am fed up with this exam.