Beard during interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HookahLungs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a pretty cool beard that I really like and I don't want to shave but I'm willing to shave it during dental school interviews and regrowing it. but if I can keep it without consequence, I would prefer to keep it. What are the overall thoughts on beards?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is the same as anything when it comes to professional school interviews. It should look professional and clean, just like the clothes you wear and your attitude and demeanor. If you have any doubts, just shave it.

I think it is the same as anything when it comes to professional school interviews. It should look professional and clean, just like the clothes you wear and your attitude and demeanor. If you have any doubts, just shave it.
It is very clean, I should've mentioned that. It's not like just scruffy and out of control

Members don't see this ad :)
I would think if your beard and haircut are very clean then you would be fine. If your beard is patchy I wouldn't risk taking it into an interview. I just feel like a really nice beard could make you more memorable to the interviewer.

Yea I would just make sure it's a non-patchy, trimmed beard. I always have a short beard because I look way too young without one. I feel like people take me more seriously when I have a beard haha.

Be careful shaving it if your face has a tan - the face under the beard could be different shade and you would look a bit off

Reactions: 1 user
A photo of my beard is in the thumb nail, let me know what you guys think please and thanks in advance.

Had an interview last week. 2 goatees

giphy.gif

I really don't want to shave when that time comes. Mine's really clean. It's just a chinstrap. I look my age with it, and 12 years old without it. I'm trying to debate whether looking my age and them taking me seriously outweighs shaving it.

I really don't want to shave when that time comes. Mine's really clean. It's just a chinstrap. I look my age with it, and 12 years old without it. I'm trying to debate whether looking my age and them taking me seriously outweighs shaving it.
Mine was pretty nice but when it came down to it, I was too scared of different impressions so I shaved it.

A beard is fine as long as it is:

Conservative, i.e. longer than stubble but still short enough to show you are grooming every day.
VERY neatly trimmed
Most importantly the beard can't go too far down the neck, and the neck portion should be equally neat/trimmed.

This isn't my opinion....it's the lecture we got from our Dean of Students during orientation week this year about how to present ourselves in the clinic around patients. Beards are clearly in style now so if you really like it you shouldn't be afraid to have one.

All that being said, clean-shaven is always the way to go if you want to be 100% sure.

Beards, they grow on you.

I wouldn't be worried - just keep it professional