Beards in dermatology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBigglesworth

Meow
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was wondering if any residents/attendings can comment on the appropriateness of having a beard? I'll be starting Derm this summer, and previously I've always been clean shaved. However, the stress/time constraints of intern year (surgery) has led me to the bearded world, and I quite like it. I'm just worried about first impressions/importance of skin etc.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It's fine. Just don't let it turn into some hipster rat's nest.

If you want to play it safe, go in clean shaven and grow it after a month or two.

But don't do it you get PFB.

That was a little Derm joke.

It wasn't funny. Sorry.

Reactions: 1 users
Gonna vary by program so it'll take a bit to get a feel of what is ok around the office and with patients. Think if it's clean, you should be a go.

They'll be getting to know you as well so your personality can mitigate some things as well. If a guy isn't a hard worker, complains, and is an all together pain then any small slip up (e.g. Appearance) is gonna make me dislike him even more. On the other hand, he comes in works hard, helps others, makes it clear he's been reading and overall gives a damn, he/she can come in a Joe Dirt haircut with a ZZ top beard and it'll be A OK.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gonna vary by program so it'll take a bit to get a feel of what is ok around the office and with patients. Think if it's clean, you should be a go.

They'll be getting to know you as well so your personality can mitigate some things as well. If a guy isn't a hard worker, complains, and is an all together pain then any small slip up (e.g. Appearance) is gonna make me dislike him even more. On the other hand, he comes in works hard, helps others, makes it clear he's been reading and overall gives a damn, he/she can come in a Joe Dirt haircut with a ZZ top beard and it'll be A OK.

How is a beard a "slip up"? Personally, I'd put it as a positive.
I mean, you have to have someplace to hide all of your secrets.

Hi there,

I was wondering if any residents/attendings can comment on the appropriateness of having a beard? I'll be starting Derm this summer, and previously I've always been clean shaved. However, the stress/time constraints of intern year (surgery) has led me to the bearded world, and I quite like it. I'm just worried about first impressions/importance of skin etc.

Thanks!

If you like to have a beard, grow one (just take care of it). I don't see a problem with it, and if someone does have a problem they need to get professional help as I'm sure they have many other problems.

If you have to ask, you know the answer.
Realize that you will be judged on everything.
Why chance it?

Thank you. I will go clean shaven. I asked mostly to get the perspective of my peers/colleagues/seniors. I appreciate it.

Thank you. I will go clean shaven. I asked mostly to get the perspective of my peers/colleagues/seniors. I appreciate it.

I am not a man, so take that into consideration.

I don't see what the big deal is. You're not doing abdominal or brain surgery. Hell, some Mohs people don't even use sterilized gloves. So from a sterility standpoint, I don't really see the issue. From a professionalism standpoint, there is a big difference (IMHO) between a well-groomed beard and someone with neck tattoos or ear gauges. There are male residents and attendings at my home program--as well as at my aways--that wore facial hair. If you want to look professional, you should be more concerned about wearing a tie and clean, non-wrinkled clothes every day rather than worrying about well-groomed facial hair.

I am not a man, so take that into consideration.

I don't see what the big deal is. You're not doing abdominal or brain surgery. Hell, some Mohs people don't even use sterilized gloves. So from a sterility standpoint, I don't really see the issue. From a professionalism standpoint, there is a big difference (IMHO) between a well-groomed beard and someone with neck tattoos or ear gauges. There are male residents and attendings at my home program--as well as at my aways--that wore facial hair. If you want to look professional, you should be more concerned about wearing a tie and clean, non-wrinkled clothes every day rather than worrying about well-groomed facial hair.

I agree. My last post was comical because I couldn't even believe this would be an issue that someone would have to care about.

Also, personally...I have never worn a tie a single day as a medical student and don't plan to during residency. They're not sanitary, they're uncomfortable, and I think most younger physicians are moving beyond that level of formality in the clinic. Just my opinion.

Your avatar has taught you well.

PFB, oh dear bwuhahaha!!!!!

To add, one of the greatest Attendings I trained under sports a beard at times. Another always had a mustache. No joke here! Just remain clean cut and all should be well. :)