Beck Institute training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treckingon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Have any of you been to a CBT training in the Beck institute on Philadelphia or know anything about it? I'm trying to decide if I would like to go to one and if it is worth the money. Any feedback?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking at the Beck Institute website recently and was also wondering if anyone had any experience or impressions regarding the trainings that they offer. I'm guessing possibly not based on the lack of responses to this thread that was started 4 years ago.

My initial thought on these types of trainings is usually that they are probably overpriced and attempting to bait people with name recognition. Not to mention also largely unnecessary for most professionals who already presumably obtained substantial training in CBT interventions in their graduate training. However, this type of certification seems marketable as well as I've noticed seemingly successful practices around the country that promote having specialized (i.e., above and beyond the typical) training in CBT.

Thanks for any feedback/thoughts.

I was looking at the Beck Institute website recently and was also wondering if anyone had any experience or impressions regarding the trainings that they offer. I'm guessing possibly not based on the lack of responses to this thread that was started 4 years ago.

My initial thought on these types of trainings is usually that they are probably overpriced and attempting to bait people with name recognition. Not to mention also largely unnecessary for most professionals who already presumably obtained substantial training in CBT interventions in their graduate training. However, this type of certification seems marketable as well as I've noticed seemingly successful practices around the country that promote having specialized (i.e., above and beyond the typical) training in CBT.

Thanks for any feedback/thoughts.
I remember looking into it a couple of years ago, but found it too expensive to attend as a graduate student. From what I can recall, I was excited and impressed by the training, but just couldn't justify the expense of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any decent program should be giving you a good solid background in CBT, with at least a couple years of supervision. Unless you had little or no CBT experience and were re-specializing, I'm not sure of the utility. Plenty of places to get in-depth training in CBT treatments from nationally certified trainers without the big money. One of the perks of training in balanced PhDs and in the VA.

Any decent program should be giving you a good solid background in CBT, with at least a couple years of supervision. Unless you had little or no CBT experience and were re-specializing, I'm not sure of the utility. Plenty of places to get in-depth training in CBT treatments from nationally certified trainers without the big money. One of the perks of training in balanced PhDs and in the VA.

I was lucky enough to do a three year practicum under Jesse Wright (MD/PhD dude) who was one of the original 'three' (Jesse Wright, John Rush, Michael Thase) trained under Aaron Beck and, though the training and personal tutelage was awesome, I believe that much of it is trasferable in written media or video (Jesse Wright did a few books with DVD and video accompano-media (videos) regarding 'illustrated cognitive therapy'). My personal take on therapy is that it also helps greatly if you are able to meet the client where they are by admitting your own mistakes as a human being and not being in a position of judging them for being in a fix.

I was lucky enough to do a three year practicum under Jesse Wright (MD/PhD dude) who was one of the original 'three' (Jesse Wright, John Rush, Michael Thase) trained under Aaron Beck and, though the training and personal tutelage was awesome, I believe that much of it is trasferable in written media or video (Jesse Wright did a few books with DVD and video accompano-media (videos) regarding 'illustrated cognitive therapy'). My personal take on therapy is that it also helps greatly if you are able to meet the client where they are by admitting your own mistakes as a human being and not being in a position of judging them for being in a fix.

I would also advocate any trainings or texts by Jesse Wright.

I would also advocate any trainings or texts by Jesse Wright.

Awesome. He was/is actually a cool dude who was OCD-driven to do really good work. No surprise that he made good videos as well.

Awesome. He was/is actually a cool dude who was OCD-driven to do really good work. No surprise that he made good videos as well.

I once told someone that he is probably the only person I know who will probably die in his office.

I once told someone that he is probably the only person I know who will probably die in his office.

One of the memories I have as an undergrad is Jesse Wright in his office in Louisville, KY (Norton Hospital), cussn himself out for the feeeegkin slides not being in order.

I learnt much that day, lol.

Thanks very much for the feedback everyone! I will definitely check out Jesse Wright.

The amazing thing to me as a Beck adherent is the utter simplicity of the approach (but you will have to play with Socrates and Euripides (my favorite) to fully exploit it).

We are doctors and actually get paid to ask people to examine to evidence for propositions affecting their own lives.

I remember Jesse Wright gettin pissed (appropriately so) by a foreign psychiatric resident asking him for 'a list' of Socratic questions, lol. The irony was lost in the moment.

I remember Jesse Wright gettin pissed (appropriately so) by a foreign psychiatric resident asking him for 'a list' of Socratic questions, lol. The irony was lost in the moment.

I remember the mahogany solidity of that table to this day. And I smile to my clients and try to remember the idot-source of my profession...levels things between us and allows the smiles to flow naturally.

Doubt it would be all that helpful for someone who attended a decent program that provided training in it. My impression has been that it is necessarily geared towards people who don't have a lot of experience in it. I'm not certain how they run it, but most evidence suggests that unless they are going to continue to consult for a couple months afterwards and review tapes...it probably won't do much to change your practice anyways.

That said, they do have scholarships. I applied for one many years back, but didn't get it.

Doubt it would be all that helpful for someone who attended a decent program that provided training in it. My impression has been that it is necessarily geared towards people who don't have a lot of experience in it. I'm not certain how they run it, but most evidence suggests that unless they are going to continue to consult for a couple months afterwards and review tapes...it probably won't do much to change your practice anyways.

That said, they do have scholarships. I applied for one many years back, but didn't get it.

The cool thing about a desire to truly help people and apply logic to do it...you will :)